DC-3

Banshee1000

This is the 1/90 Revell kit. I used clear styrene for the windows, opened the inlets, exhausts, landing lights and gear linkage, used Archer decal rivets and Vintage Flyer decals. Thanks for letting me share!

IMG_1739_zpsuk2yuv1t.jpgIMG_1732_zpseycbctjj.jpgIMG_1731_zpscxgl7q4a.jpgIMG_1727_zpscjkv2de3.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent build of a legendary old kit. The markings are not what you usually see on a DC-3/C-47. Santa Fe Skyway (a short-lived effort by the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway to create an airline) also had a couple of DC-4s.

Alan, I am impressed and intrigued by your use of the Archer rivets. I have never used them, but I have used theis straight panel lines. I found that the carrier film was hard to disguise. I assume the rivets come in rows on carrier film as well so how did you make this film disappear, especially on a natural metal model? Regards, Nick Filippone

Alan, I am impressed and intrigued by your use of the Archer rivets. I have never used them, but I have used theis straight panel lines. I found that the carrier film was hard to disguise. I assume the rivets come in rows on carrier film as well so how did you make this film disappear, especially on a natural metal model? Regards, Nick Filippone

Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments.

It was also my first time with these decals, Nick. I ordered the HO gauge because of the odd 1/90 scale. I cut them into extremely close strips--right up to the actual rivet, and then placed them over a Tamiya White Primer and covered with Model Master enamel gloss black, which leveled the carrier film nicely. Over that was the Model Master Metalizer.

IMG_0423_zpsf1u6jb39.jpg

IMG_0424_zpsk4rsandr.jpg

IMG_0136_zpsocqnhfvs.jpg

Edited by Banshee1000

I truly admire your enthusiasm for taking an old kit and doing such a great job with it. I have nothing against rivets except they get destroyed as seams are cleaned up. There are several projects I have wanted to do but have been stymied by this rivet problem. You have parted the seas for me. Thank you! Regards, Nick

One more question. What technique did you use to make the rivet strips stick? Thanks.

Edited by Nick Filippone

I truly admire your enthusiasm for taking an old kit and doing such a great job with it. I have nothing against rivets except they get destroyed as seams are cleaned up. There are several projects I have wanted to do but have been stymied by this rivet problem. You have parted the seas for me. Thank you! Regards, Nick

One more question. What technique did you use to make the rivet strips stick? Thanks.

I used the Micro Sol and Micro Set. Worked perfectly.

I didn't know about the panel line decals. I'll have to try them--thanks for sharing!