Hello from SW Connecticut

DougvH

Hello,

I did a lot of modeling right up to about 20 or so years ago (although never advanced), when life got in the way. Now im finally returning to the hobby, and boy has it changed. I look forward to improving my skills with the help of other IPMS members.

First started out with snap together with my dad, then moved on to armor as a teen, when i enlisted (AF) i moved over to aircraft (for obvious reasons). I've got a Revell 1:48 P40 on the bench right now to get used to airbrish, and relearn putty, sand, putty, sand, and boy has this kit reminded me.

-Doug

Welcome back to the hobby. Have you found a local chapter yet? If so, join them as it will help you grow as a modeler.

Tim

Welcome Doug! Glad your back to building!

Don't let that old Revell P-40 get you down. It's a good kit, but it's also 1970's molding technology. If your budget will allow it, go get a 1/48 Tamiya P-47D, P-51D, A6M5 Zero, or the new F-14A Tomcat. The engineering and fit on those kits will blow you away!

The NEW Airfix kits (including their 1/48 P-40B), newer Hasagawa, and Eduard kits are all much better than the older Revell and Monogram stuff (though many of those are still faves with me, and I'm building a Monogram F-14 now).

The key is to do a little on-line research and find a kit molded in the last 10yrs or so when you pick your next subject. Some of these kits even come with "extras" like resin and photo-etched detail parts, and even canopy masks! Just also be prepared for some "sticker shock" as prices are much higher now than 20+yrs ago.

Make yourself at home here. This is also a place to ask questions about kits, model products and tools, and techniques. There's many very knowledgeable people who can help you out. Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Gents thank you for the warm welcome.

Tim, turns out the local chapter is hosted at my LHS. Guess I have an excuse to visit (I can hear my wallet crying)

Gil, I actually have a couple Eduard, Tamiya, and Hobbyboss kits waiting. The Revell is just a test bed for me, a lot of new products (paints, glues, fillers, etc) I need to work with and decide on for long term use.

-Doug

Side note, when I created my account here I didn't yet have my member number when it asked. Now I have it but can't find where in my profile to add it? Are my tired eyes just missing something?

Side note, when I created my account here I didn't yet have my member number when it asked. Now I have it but can't find where in my profile to add it? Are my tired eyes just missing something?

It's in your signature!

Welcome back to the fold. I lived in Middletown, CT, for 6 years and worked in Hartford for the North Central CT E.M.S. Council.