Fokker Dr 1

dan

Hello Dan,

You have two choices. Some believe that the base color of the F. I was clear doped linen and some believe that it was light blue . Then which ever base color you choose a streaky olive green over that. Look at photos of the real aircraft to see what density the streaks are and in what direction they go. I myself would go with the light blue and the underside of the wings and underside of horizontal stabalizer and elevator. There is also two diffirent opinions on the clolor of the cowl, yellow or olive green. Again my choice is olove green as I don't think the face on the cowl would show up that well on yellow seeing it is white. The interior would be clear doped linen. The metal frame work RLM 02 grey/green.

Which kit of the Fokker F. I are you doing? The horizontal stabalizer had a bit diffirent shape than the standard DR. I. It had a curve to it leading edge and not straight like the Dr. I. Also the aelerons were a little diffirent in shape. I would suggest if you don't have the albatros Publications Fokker Dr. I Windsock Datafile get it as it has scale drawings showin the diffrence. :D

Thanks for web site and the info. I have the old 1/28th Revell kit cr. 1965. I know it may not be the most accurate kit, but I remember this kit from when I was a kid and I wanted to get it. Really not a bad kit for 1965.

Regards,

Dan

Guest Bun E. Carlos

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!! There is an old IPMS/USA Quarterly that features a build/correction, By Ed Boll...............including a statement by Karl Timm, Voss's Mechanic, about the colors of this A/C. The Old REVELL kit is a start, but the kit was based on photos of a Captured A/C and is not to be confused with the early F Series. RODAN makes a really nice 1/32 early Fokker...........try that!!!

Bunezuela

Hey,

Thanks for the heads up! I will look for that kit. Also can you give me the publication number or where I can get a copy of that article? :smiley20:

This is great Help! :smiley17:

Thanks,

Dan

The IPMS article is in the old Update, 15U1 (very late '79, or the first one in '80), with a picture of a USAF F-5E going vertical on the cover. Ed Boll (Triplane builder extrordinaire) built, detailed, and corrected the old 1/28 Revell kit. Note that this is one of the FIRST uses of aftermarket pe (besides belt buckles) with his inclusion of pe Spandau jackets for the machine guns! It has interior drawings, as well as interior and exterior color notes. One noteworthy item about the markings is that some of the crosses were on light blue fields, and that the older "iron cross" still showed a bit under the newer straight crosses. Also, it states that the undersides were overall light blue EXCEPT for the fields for the crosses, which were unpainted linen! Now, Ed is a meticulous builder/researcher, but it's been about 30yrs since the article was written and there's probably a lot more info available today than back then. I'd be willing to bet he's very close to Voss's camo/markings; but you may want to dig a little deeper to double check (me; I'd just follow his example!). It's a great article; and just the kind that ought to be reprinted in the Journal today! Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

Hi Gil!

Thanks for the reply! Can I get a copy of this article from you? Or do you know where I can get a copy of that Journal ? I am very interested in any research on this A/C I can get. Let me know if you are willing to send the copy. I would gladly send you the postage.

Thanks again!

Dan

Dan,

Jack was a bit premature with his last post above. I do have it, but just found it a few minutes ago while searching through my archive of old chapter newsletters. My copies are from 1993, and they are prints of copies of the earlier originals, thus suffering greatly in half-tone loss in the illustrations. The text, however is clear. My 22 pages of Dr.-1 materials includes the 1/48 DML kit review from Windsock Magazine, Triplane marking schemes by Dan-San Abbott in the 1980's, and the Ed Boll article regarding the Revell 1/28 kit from the IPMS/USA Update. My printer's copier function will reproduce each page exactly as they are, but will not improve any of the image quality.

PM me with your address if you wish me to make the copies and mail them to you. There are too many pages to scan and save digitally. No charge!

Ed

FWIW, I tend to agree with the colors that Tom Mason mentioned. I read somewhere that the dark color (Olive Green) was applied with brooms. I painted my model overall light blue and then using a large, stiff brush, I applied the olive green in directions noted from photos. I too also believe that Voss' cowl was olive green. Yellow would be interesting but I have to stick with olive green.

I also recommend the Windsock books.

Guest Bun E. Carlos

Of note........of first three "F" series , 101 was not streaked at all........102 (MVR) & 103 (Voss) were only "lightly" streaked which resulted in it's "silvery blue" hue. It wasn't until the production varients started coming out that regulation olive streaking started. F102 was eventually destroyed along with Kurt Wolff and F103, of coarse, along with the epic fight with 56 squadron. Tripes have alwayz been a passion with me and the EDUARD kit is fantastic. In the 80's I contacted Dan-San Abbott and collected all of his Tripe schemes. Goering has a very cool looking machine whick I picked up that Weekend Edition Kit for.

Hello!

I still want to build the Revell kit , but I have gone ahead and purchased the early Roden 1/32 kit of the F1. Do yo have Kemps paint scheme also? Would you be willing to send me a copy of Goering's and Kemp's DR 1's. I will send postage if needed.

Thanks.

Dan

Guest Bun E. Carlos
Hello!

I still want to build the Revell kit , but I have gone ahead and purchased the early Roden 1/32 kit of the F1. Do yo have Kemps paint scheme also? Would you be willing to send me a copy of Goering's and Kemp's DR 1's. I will send postage if needed.

Thanks.

Dan

Dan............F. Kemp had several schemes to his Dr.I's. However, you would need a Production Dr.I for these machines and the addition of the wheel brace, indicitive to Jasta Boelcke at the time. I'll dig those schemes up. Try these and remember to look at the top views. On some machines, Black on one side, white on the other.

http://www.fokkerdr1.com/Profiles/Profile%20TC10.htm

http://www.fokkerdr1.com/Profiles/Profile%20SB18.htm

http://www.fokkerdr1.com/Profiles/Profile%20SB5A.htm

http://www.fokkerdr1.com/Profiles/Profile%20SB5.htm

Dan,

Copies are made and in the mail Friday.

Windsock Magazine has info on:

DR.I 454/17 LTN. Lothar von Richthofen

DR.I 588/17 LTN. Richard Wenzl

DR.I 586/17 LTN. Ernst Udet

Dan-San Abbott's drawings include:

DR.I 558/17 LTN. Hans Joachim von Hippel

DR.I N/A OBLT. Wilhelm Reinhardt(?)

DR.I 144/17 LTN. Eberhardt Stapenhorst

DR.I 148/17 LTN. Rudolph Stark

DR.I N/A OBLT. Hermann Goring

DR.I N/A LTN. Johann Janzen

DR.I 400-599 Series/17 OBLT. Bruno Loerzer

DR.I 419/17 LTN. Walter Gottsch

DR.I N/A LTN. Rudolph Klimke

DR.I 425/17 RITTM. Manfred von Richthofen

DR.I 400-599 Series/17 LTN. Ernst Udet

DR.I 545/17(?) LTN. Hans Weiss(?)

DR.I 204/17 LTN. Paul Baumer

DR.I N/A LTN. Lothar von Richthofen

Ed Boll's IPMS review:

von Richthofen

Werner Voss

Take your pick! :D

Ed

Hi, Dan,

You are receiving ALL of the above. The packet was mailed to you yesterday. "Take your pick" meant "choose which of these you will build now that you have the information." Happy building!

Ed

Hi, Dan,

You are receiving information on ALL of the above DR.I aircraft. Your packet went into the mail yesterday. "Take your pick" meant "choose which of these box kites you are going to build from the info provided."

Happy building!

Ed

Hi, Dan,

You are receiving information on ALL of the above DR.I aircraft. Your packet went into the mail yesterday. "Take your pick" meant "choose which of these box kites you are going to build from the info provided."

Happy building!

Ed

All:

I had done a review kit of the D.1 as Voss's A/C. It was posted in the A/C kit review section and it is the 1/32 Roden kit.

I think I nailed the colors right. You guys be the judge.

See, I can build something other than figures and race cars.

Jack Kennedy

Hi All! :smiley20:

I want to thank you all for the great replys, ideas and help you have given me on this new project. I want to especially thank Ed for the great packet of info he sent me. :smiley16: I recieved it yesterday. I feel this Fourm is a big plus to all the members. A great group of guys! I hope to meet you all in Ohio next month! :smiley14:

Best Regards to all! :smiley20:

Dan Bauer

CC

South Central Modelers of Minnesota

Guest Bun E. Carlos

Hi Dan!!!!!! I'm assuming that Ed sent you the whole thing??? If he did, that's was an old IPMS/Will-Cook Newsletter SPECIAL that I did many years ago...........believe me, they used to run around 30 pages a month!!!!!!! I was knee deep in commission work for a guy that used to Wargame in 1/72 using two old ping pong tables redone to a large DOGFIGHT table. Complete with small cockpits he cound stand in that recorded kills, damage, ammo spent, ammo left, altitude and fuel. I also built the large WILLIAMS BROTHERS WWI Machine Guns that he used . I believe I built around 40 assorted a/c for him and others built more. My personal favorite was building Black Flight (Black Roger, Black Sheep, Black Prince, Black Death & Black Maria) the 1/72 REVELL Sopwith Tripes for him. Good Luck and Good Hunting!!!! How did the U-Boat ever turn out????