Horten? Did someone say Horten?

Ralph Nardone

Finished last week:

horten1.jpg

horten2.jpg

horten3.jpg

Paint scheme is conceptual 74/75/76, I used PollyScale for the 76 and Testor Acryl for the 74 and 75. Kit decals are typical mid-1990's Revell AG--thick and very matte. I had to wrestle them a bit to get them to lie down--I was 99% successful.

Ralph

Nice work - thanks for sharing Ralph.

Is the Revell AG kit their own mold, or was it someone elses' (like DML)?

Nice work - thanks for sharing Ralph.

Is the Revell AG kit their own mold, or was it someone elses' (like DML)?

I believe it was Revell AG--I bought the kit when it first came out in the mid-1990's, started it, and put it back into the stash for a move. Fast forward 15 years and I dug it out and finished it.

The box says "Made in Korea", and I don't recall Dragon doing a 1/72 Horten. I could be wrong, I frequently am.... ;)

Ralph

No problem Ralph. You're probably not wrong. I just didn't know that there was one in 1/72 by Revell.

Thanks, Tim

No problem Ralph. You're probably not wrong. I just didn't know that there was one in 1/72 by Revell.

Thanks, Tim

I think the kit was recently reissued. It really is a quickie build--the only bug I found was the the wings tend to warp and/or twist, even after they are assembled. One of the tips on the model twists down, the other twists up. Even so....

Ralph

From my references one thing is wrong wth all the Horton Ho IX/Go.229 there should be washout at the wing tips as this was needed for lateral control.

From my references one thing is wrong wth all the Horton Ho IX/Go.229 there should be washout at the wing tips as this was needed for lateral control.

Agreed, and with the warps, the left wingtip actually does exhibit some washout. More luck than intention, but... :)

Ralph

Beautiful Ralph! I'm building a Horten put out by Pioneer2. In fact, I should be finished with it now, but every time I place it for the final clearcoat, it either gets knocked to the floor or something falls on it breaking the landing gear again. I've fixed it FOUR times already!

I like the decals on yours. All mine came with were four Balkankruezes, two for the top, two for the bottom. Thanks for posting.

Beautiful Ralph! I'm building a Horten put out by Pioneer2. In fact, I should be finished with it now, but every time I place it for the final clearcoat, it either gets knocked to the floor or something falls on it breaking the landing gear again. I've fixed it FOUR times already!

I like the decals on yours. All mine came with were four Balkankruezes, two for the top, two for the bottom. Thanks for posting.

Hey, anyone who can make progress on a Pioneer kit is no slouch. I remember when that kit hit the market--a friend of mine is school wanted a Horten really bad. I don't know whether he ever got a kit....

The Revell AG decals were stiff, brittle, and super-matte. I had to resort to Future under them to get them to lie down. There's still some silvering under a few, but I decided that enough was enough.

I look forward to seeing yours finished.

Ralph