New To Airbrushing

schooner

​Hi Guys ( Newbie Here )

​I'm new to airbrushing, bought a single action IWATA and not that pleased with it !

​I was looking at: NEO AIRBRUSH DOUBLE ACTION.

Tell me guys would this by O.K. for me just to do my airplanes with ?

​That's all I like to build. American and German Airplanes.

Thanks Guys

post-3123-0-22306100-1490571038_thumb.jpg

Almost any airbrush can be used for at least certain purposes...even a single action. The main thing is practice, practice, practice....

With that said, I was never comfortable with the standard control on top scheme, but once I switched to a pistol grip / trigger airbrush the light bulb came on, so you might take a look at those. Mine happens to be a Grex, but other manufacturers also make them.

--David

Can you be more specific as to why you're not that pleased with it? Most airbrush problems are actually "user" problems, as opposed to an actual problem or limitation of the airbrush. IF your problem is actually something you are causing, then switching airbrushes (and especially spending more money) wouldn't solve your problem. You'd simply end up with the same problem(s) with the next one.

There's any number of things that can contribute to any particular problem, so if you can specify your troubles, perhaps we can help steer you towards getting the most from the Iwata you have now before opting to spend more money without any guarantee it'll solve your problems.

GIL :smiley16:

Like Gil says. A majority of airbrush problems relate to the brush not being cleaned properly and/or the paint not being thin enough. Fill your brush with thinner and try to paint a sample part or even paper. if this works well than probably your paint was not thin enough.

Agree with Gil. The first airbrush I got given was a single action Paasche H and its 21 years old and still always used.

One advice for any airbrush- make sure your paint is thin enough. Every airbrush has a balance between air pressure, viscosity of paint and type. You just need to hone on the right one for the airbrush you have

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto what the other genmts have said.

IMHO and FWIW, I think the two biggest problems is that the paints being airbrushed are too thick, and the air pressure being too high.

I use Vallejo acrylics now, and buried in their documentation they say to set the pressure no higher than 20psi. I keep my setting around 17-18 psi. This also helps prevent the drying of the paint on the needle tip.

In re: to the mix of the paint I usually do a 60/40 or 70/30 mix of paint with water and/or Flow Improver.

Then with regular cleaning I never get a clog.

• 4 weeks later...

I still use my Badger 200 gravity feed single action gun all the time. It's extremely easy to use. I just adjust the pressure I need and shoot. There a needle adjustment on the end also. It's great for base coats and line shading, actually I can do most anything I do with my double action guns. I have owned this gun for many years and it remains a favorite of mine. Just a simple little gun. I have added a quick release to this gun simply because of the use it gets.

e44ad83914adc8a36e67.jpg

Edited by spiralcity

I keep a log of type of paint, thinning ratios, pressure used, and how much the needle is open. It helps me keep track of what works and what doesn't. A double action airbrush is more complicated to use, in my opinion, and will require lots of practice just as a single action will.

Ron W.