What Two Colors Make Camouflage ?

schooner

​Hi Guys (Newbie Here Still) :smiley24:

​I'm trying to figure out what two colors make-up the Camouflage Colors that made me Spitfire real looking ?

​Colors like: Sandy Brown, Tan, or Drab Green, Forest Green I don't know ?

​Is there a paint set specifically for Camoufage ?

HELP GUYS !

post-3123-0-94301000-1489280442_thumb.jpg

The image you attached is a P-40 not a Spitfire, so I'm a bit confused.

British camo patterns were fairly standard but the colors and the markings changed with location, period, and sometimes with role.

If you have a kit, it should tell you what colors you need to build whatever options it provides.

If not, then you'll need to be a bit more specific.

Ray, I am going to go out on a limb here and assume this posting is not a put-on, despite the fact that it apparently seeks an inappropriately pithy response to a question that would ordinarily takes pages and pages of text and profiles to elucidate and despite the fact that you have illustrated it with a photo attachment of a P-40 of the United States Army Air Force in early WW2 markings!

And being, again, apparently, new to this hobby, you probably do not have the kind of hard copy reference library that I have assembled over the past 55+ years. You do, however, clearly have access to the Internet. If you Google RAF Camouflage, you will find more references than you can shake a stick at including links to articles, profiles, colour chips, colour standards and even links to model paint manufacturers such as Humbol, Testor's Model Master, Tamiya and Vallejo. Not only will you learn how to paint this Spitfire, but you will learn how to paint future projects as well.

' If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach him how to fish, he can feed himself for the rest of his life .'

Nick Filippone

Ditto what Nick says. And I would also suggest that you also join the local chapter, where they can show you things hands-on, and answer all your questions much better.

Ray: Nick's suggestion to use Google is a very good one, especially when your question covers such a broad area (RAF Camo), and without specifying a time in the war or a theater of operations.

For example...I Googled "RAF Camouflage" and then immediately clicked onto the "images" link that was at the top of the choices. One of the very first images on that page was this: https://www.google.com/search?q=raf+camouflage+colours+ww2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwid-Lajy9HSAhVFOiYKHVp5C6EQsAQIGQ&biw=1600&bih=766#imgrc=WN0zYEdVxJHpeM:

(click onto that link and then read on)

That one image gives most of the basic knowledge you need for most RAF schemes for most of the war. It's not absolutely complete, but it's a starting point, and most importantly, it gives you the names of the basic British colors. That then allows you to find those paint names within whatever brand of paint you want to use.

If you look at more of the images (simply click on the X in the black box and it will revert to the full page of images), you'll see there's even a pic of the AK Interactive British Camo acrylic paint set that can be bought, which would probably serve your needs perfectly! Farther down the page there's a HATAKA set of RAF paints shown.

You can use Google for this and a thousand other modeling searches.

Also, since Las Vegas has an excellent club, follow Bob's suggestion and join them. They'll have people who can help you get you're modelling feet firmly planted and going the direction you want to go. Hope this helps. Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges