Best Dull Coats?

TimDarrah

Hey,

I need some assistance.

What is the best Dull Coat out there? And what do you use?

I've been useing Testors (spray) for the longest time and never get a truely dull coat, even after multiple coats.

One of the guys in the AMPS club I belong to told me about Windsor & Newton Artisan Water Mixable Oil Matt Varnish. That gives a great true dull coat, but when I spray it through my airbrush it "spots" on me and my T-34/76 Mod 1942 Fact. 112 at the AMPS/Atlanta show two weeks ago got low marks for it.

I have tried Krylon Matte Finish 1311 in spray form, and it crazed my Airfix 1/72nd P-40B, can't tell if it did it to the just the paint or if it effected the plastic undernieth.

So any tips/hints recommendations are very welcome.

Thanks,

Tim

I have been using Alclad Matte or flat depending on what I'm working on. Takes a little longer to dry but the results are nice.

You can make your own clear flat by adding Tamiya's Flat Base to Future/Pledge with Future Shine (or whatever they're calling it this week).

1 part flat base to 3 parts Future = very flat
1 part flat base to 10 parts Future = flat

1 part flat base to 15 parts Future = satin

See here for more: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Thank you all for the suggestions. Next time in at Hobbytown, I'll pick some Tamiya and Vallejo up to try those out.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I will give my 2 cents because I use Testor's rattle cans top coats. I have gotten some good results by shaking them for a minute, then place them in warm water for a few minutes, usually 5 or so. Then give them another good shaking. I also use their lacquer cleaner to clean off the nozzle before and after spraying.

Ron W.