SU-76i with extras.

BryanKrueger

I was pretty excited when Dragon released their SU-76i. I was pretty underwhelmed when I finally got it. The new tooled parts that make this vehicle unique are pretty bad. Soft details, poor or nonexistent alignment features, incorrect roof, blobs for hinges, terrible fuel tanks, etc. It was like Dragon had a late 1980s Eastern European model company tool and mold the parts. To rectify this, I switched gears mid build and used the MasterClub resin conversion. The detail is crisp, the features are accurate and the casting is flawless. Unfortunately, it is designed for use with the old school Imperial series Dragon kits and suffers some fit issues with the casemate and accuracy issues with the fuel tank brackets. I was willing to overlook these just so I could get something built.

Since it was never going to be as accurate as I would have liked with out a complete redo, I decided to have some fun with this and model a re-captured SU-76i pressed back into German service. The Pz.Jg.Abt. 128 had at least one where they added two antenna mounts which I assume was for field command.

I added some extra details to spruce this one up.

Fenders and buckets - ET Model
White metal tracks - Master Club
Side Stowage boxes - Aber (set for T70 light tank)
Barrel - RB Model
Cast Drive Sprocket ModelKasten
Stamped Drive Sprocket - Dragon StuG III Ausf A
Cast Return Roller and Damaged Road Wheels - Panzer Art
Stowage - Value Gear and misc
Cable clips and Jack Mount - ModelKasten
Ammo Box - MiniArt
Anything white is styrene

su-76i_02.jpg

su-76i_01.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Still working on the SU-76i. It's not finished-finished yet. I still want to add a little bit more stowage and touch up some areas that you only notice when you post images online. :lol:

su-76i_03.jpg

su-76i_05.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent job, Mark! I especially like how you have spiced up what could have been a very dull green paint job.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...