Decal paper....

pyrman

Greetings,

I'm at an impass on a commision build - I can't finish it without the decals. I need recommedations on a good brand of decal paper for an inkjet printer. I need both white and clear paper. I prefer recommendations of paper that you've actually used (on an inkjet printer), not what your best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the boy that used it. :smiley2:

I made the mistake of purchasing the Testors decal making system at HobbyLobby - thank goodness I used the 40% off coupon. The paper is just too thick and it kept wanting to curl under itself when applied to the model. Also, the software is really just a scheme to get you to buy more of their software - otherwise you can't use the features to their full extent.

TIA,

Greg

Greetings,

I'm at an impass on a commision build - I can't finish it without the decals. I need recommedations on a good brand of decal paper for an inkjet printer. I need both white and clear paper. I prefer recommendations of paper that you've actually used, not what your best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the boy that used it. :smiley2:

I made the mistake of purchasing the Testors decal making system at HobbyLobby - thank goodness I used the 40% off coupon. The paper is just too thick and it kept wanting to curl under itself when applied to the model. Also, the software is really just a scheme to get you to buy more of their software - otherwise you can't use the features to their full extent.

TIA,

Greg

Greg,

I use the Microscale paper here at the shop, but it's for my Xerox Color Phaser... not really a laser printer, it uses solid ink.

If you don't need to print white, email me offline and I'll see what I can do for you.

James

• 3 weeks later...

I've had pretty good luck with Bare Metal Foil's paper.

They make both white and clear, ink-jet and laser.

That being said, I bought it when it was $6.95 for 3x 8 1/2 X 11 sheets. Since I only print the decal I'm using, taping a piece of decal paper over the printed image and reprinting it, I have gotten about 5 years out of 3 sheets of each.

Jim

IPMS assistant web flunky.

Thanks Jim, I'll see if my LHS can get the Bare Metal Foil paper.

The Brand name is "Expert's Choice",

here's the web page: http://www.bare-metal.com/Experts-Choice-Decal-Film.html

Surprisingly, their price is still $6.95 for the 3x 8 1/2 X 11 sheets!

Check my Hasegawa Su-27 review with home-made Ukranian decals over in the reviews section of the IPMS web site.

Jim

I've used the Bare Metal Foil Decal Paper for ink jet printers with great results. A couple of suggestions. Make two or three copies of the image as you might mess one up. Before you use them cover them with something like Micro-Sol Decal Solution. Put it on in one coat or you'll smear it. After that's dried, you've got a decal.

• 3 years later...

This thread had just the info I was looking for, but since its 3 years old figured I'd ask if there are any recent updates as to the best decal paper, sealer etc? Otherwise I'm sending my order to the Bare Metal people this weekend....

Thanks!

Don

Here is where I get my paper and I have been very satisfied with it. One major differance in their instructions. I don't use their clear coat over the top. I use DuPont automotive lacquer, 2 very light coats. I use this because I clear coat over my decals once they are on the car and I wanted a top coat that would not react with the final coats. If this will stand up to automotive lacquer I suspect it will work with any clear that you use as a final coat over the finished car.

By the way, this is a very thin film so care is needed in working with it.

Good luck.

Pete

• 9 months later...

I was just about to send an order for decal paper to the bare-metal-foil folks and when I looked up their site with Google I saw a warning: "This site may be compromised." If you click on the warning you get a wishy-washy explanation from the Google folks that there "might" be something wrong with the site. I was wondering if anyone has bought from the site lately and whether you've had any problems? I would just call in the order tomorrow, but I can't find a phone number...

Don

Don, I just noticed that I was stupid and forgot to put the link in my message. Here is the place I go and it is a lot cheaper than any hobby shops.

I think the German SOB who keeps hiding all my stuff has been messing with my computer!

Here's the link http://www.texascraft.com/hps/home.php?cat=250

German SOB you ask? Alzheimer's, dang it Alzheimer's!

By the way, one of the ways I save on cost is to cut the sheets up into 4"X5" and put them in my photo tray. Much less waste that way.

Edited by PeteJ

You can really economize on decal paper if you:

1. Print a color copy of the decal or image on plain paper.

2. Cut a piece of decal paper from the big sheet that is just large enough to cover the specific item(s)you need and tape the decal paper to the test sheet over the images.

3. Put the test sheet with the taped on decal paper back into the feed tray of your printer and print the images again.

4. Spray the finish coating on the decal pieces, let dry, and remove from the test sheet. Remove the tape carefully from the decal pieces so you do not peel up any dried finish coating.

I've used this process many times, and it really cuts down on waste, or, keeps more for future use.

Ed

I place the image in MS Publisher; I can resize without losing any pixels, (the image will be clearer), and then run a test on plain paper to check size, when satisfied print to decal film. I also use clear lacquer like Pete.