Tamiya F4U-1D

David M. Knights

Like Jeff S, I too participated in the "Blitzbau" over on The Unofficial Airfix Modelers Forum. You can follow my build of the Tamiya kit here.

While not nearly as fast a builder as Jeff, I was able to finish the kit. Great kit. Fun time, and best of all, a post about building models!

blitz020.jpg

blitz021.JPG

and best of all, a post about building models!

So true. It seems the paint cup over flows with anything but, as of late. I have only done one of these (blitz builds) before but what a blast. Yours turned out fantastic. What paint did you use. It looks silky smooth & flawless maybe a shade more gloss than I have grown to expect from the aircraft genre but WOW. Maybe I should be asking about the clear coat you used.

And the drama portrayed in the WIP tread pics was quite the treat.

Thanks for sharing!

So true. It seems the paint cup over flows with anything but, as of late. I have only done one of these (blitz builds) before but what a blast. Yours turned out fantastic. What paint did you use. It looks silky smooth & flawless maybe a shade more gloss than I have grown to expect from the aircraft genre but WOW. Maybe I should be asking about the clear coat you used.

And the drama portrayed in the WIP tread pics was quite the treat.

Thanks for sharing!

The paint is Tamiya acrylic sea blue. It comes out flat, but that wasn't a problem since I had to gloss for decals. The gloss is Future. Unfortunately, for these blitz builds, you have to use acrylics to get the quick drying time you need.

Over on the UAMF they are pretty whimsical sometimes. Throwing in unusual clocks and mugs or other bits to the build story keeps things interesting. I had a blast.

Sweet Corsiar! Those late war all blue Navy planes lend themselves to quick builds. The old Hasagawa 1/48 F4U-4 is one of my favorites. I need to do another one, this time in your checkerboard scheme! Thanks for posting!

GIL :smiley16:

I love this kit. Fits together like a watch and the detail level is awesome. If your going to do a quick build, its good choice. Looks great. The last quick build I did was locomotive complete with a base. Lots of weathering and washes so I did not have to worry about a perfect finish. It was fun to sit at the bench and knock one out. My wife and kids were away, it was heaven! Needles to say, thats not happened for a long time.

I love this kit. Fits together like a watch and the detail level is awesome. If your going to do a quick build, its good choice. Looks great. The last quick build I did was locomotive complete with a base. Lots of weathering and washes so I did not have to worry about a perfect finish. It was fun to sit at the bench and knock one out. My wife and kids were away, it was heaven! Needles to say, thats not happened for a long time.

I picked this kit specifically because I had ehard good things about its fit. It is the best engineered kit I've ever built. The detail is great. The fit is perfect.

I was able to participate in the Blitzbau because the modelwife and modelchild were out of town.

I highly recommend participating in one of these if you can. Heck, I'd love to see somebody organize one on the IPMS fourms.