Displaying prior years "Best Of" winners

A few days ago a member of my club said this in an online conversation: “Lots of nationals winners are only seen once if they win an award.” Isn’t that shame? Think of all the outstanding models we’ve seen over the years at the Nats…seen only once.

I wonder if the E-board can encourage the clubs that host the Nats to invite prior Best Of winners to display their models at future conventions. I suspect some members would be eager to share their models again, or might be enticed with a small token of the club’s appreciation (e.g., a year’s free membership, gift card to an online retailer, etc.).

Is this a good idea? Would convention attendees like to see the best models from prior years’ conventions?

Steve

I know I would.

As a step in the right direction, IPMSUSA is already asking Nats hosts in the future to provide as many display tables as is practical for their venue. That means that there WILL be space to do something like this.

Another possibility is to do what we do here at Jaxcon: add an "Ace of Aces" category where past winners can be entered and duke it out among themselves. If it was prestigious to win the Judges Grand award, how much more would it be to win the Ace of Ace award by beating other past JG winners!

I think we should encourage more displays, especially of past winners, as they're still going to be as inspiring as the first time around.

GIL :smiley16:

It's an idea. I would love to be able to see some past winners as well. But as I think about it, I don't know how easy it will be to accomplish. Mostly because of the logistics of traveling to and from the convention takes some special effort when dealing with transporting your entry models. I've seen some pretty elaborate methods of cocooning and handling models at the Nationals as well as other contests. I wonder if past winners can be enticed to risk the journey all over again for a second time with their previous winners, and current entries. Smaller models and figures; probably easier. Bigger and more elaborate; not sure I would. It just depends upon people's commitment. Worth trying it though.

Rick L.

If this is something that really interests you, I suggest you contact the National Contest Chief Judge, Mark Persichetti at http://NCC@ipmsusa.org and make your suggestion to him as he and the other head judges are the ones that decide on what categories to add or subtract. It;s too late for Omaha, but it could make Phoenix or Chattanooga.

Ron, although I like the idea of an “Ace of Aces” competition similar to what Gil suggested, I’d suggest keeping the concept simple to start, with just a non-competition display of prior best-of winners. That way there’s no effect on the contest and categories, and there's literally no risk to the organization (save for an empty table if no one brings their models). We could then talk to those modelers and see if they'd be interested in a more prestigious contest.

Promoting the idea would require only an announcement in the Journal and via the web site, and maybe a mailing to prior years’ best-of winners who live near the Nats location.

Steve

Then I'd suggest that you contact the contest chairman of the Phoenix convention to make your suggestion. He's the one that will have to set aside the table space and make any announcements about their contest area,