What's That Antenna WIRE?

schooner

Hi Guys

Where do I get that THIN

ANTENNA WIRE? That's attached to the back of the cockpit and leads to the tail?

Plus; How in the world after you guys tell me where 2 get that THIN WIRE,but how do I ATTACHED IT TO THE PLANE ?

WHEW! I hope you guys understand this fumbled- up explanation?

Thank you guys 4 always helping out this new Comer.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Ray

a.k.a. schooner

People use various things to make the antenna wire. Some like to use stretched sprue, others like to use fine nylon monofilament line, others prefer to use fine elastic thread, and some like to use actual wire. The choice somewhat depends on the scale as well as personal preference.

Stretched sprue is just what it says - take a piece of the parts tree from the kit about 3 inches or so in length, and hold it so that the center is a couple inches above a candle flame. Keep rotating the sprue like a roast on a spit until it starts to sag where it's being heated, then remove it from the heat source and smoothly pull the ends of the sprue apart. The soft center section will stretch out into a long, thin strand. It takes a bit of practice to get the feel, but one can vary the speed of pull to get different thickness of the strand.

Nylon monofilament is fishing line, essentially. The finer the better, usually. Fly-fishing leader material is often suggested, but if you go to your local fabric store you can get "invisible thread" that is really a fine nylon monofilament line. It comes in clear or smoke coloring; I prefer the smoke when I use it.

For 1/72 (my usual scale of choice), I normally prefer to use fine elastic thread. This one is a bit harder to obtain - it takes a bit of effort as my source is a section cut from an old pair of black nylon stockings (pantyhose). The idea is to pull thread strands out of the weave and use those. Tedious, and sometimes difficult to get a piece that is a consistent number of threads for the whole length, but very fine and quite forgiving when installed (it has a lot of stretch).

For larger scales, actual wire can be used. Fine copper wire can be obtained from the armature windings of an old toy electric motor.

As to how to install, that varies somewhat depending on how the wire is routed. If one end is anchored in the fuselage itself, drill a small hole and use CA glue to secure one end in that hole. When that has set, pull the wire material you've selected to the point where the other end is to be secured and use a small drop of CA to hold it in place. When that has set, use a razor blade or similar to trim the excess.

If both ends are secured to a mast or similar, then just do like the second end of what I just described twice.

Nylon thread and stretched sprue can both be tightened a bit once installed with heat; light a match, blow it out and hold the just-extinguished end under the line you want to tighten. The residual heat from the match will cause the line to shrink a bit and tighten up. Don't get the match head too close, though, as too much heat will cause the line to break.

• Like 1

Hey Guys THANK YOU

4 your suggestions to me the Newbie, about those THIN ANTENNA LINES.

I will use your suggestions.

Thats what makes this Forum Great, because of guys like you helping new

modelers like me.

THANK AGAIN GUYS :-)

If you like the thin elastic thread, it is available on a spool under the brand name "EZ Line" - check a hobby shop or type that into google/ebay/amazon to find an online seller.

Don

Uschi thread is something I've heard good things about; just haven't managed to get my act together enough to buy some yet!

• 2 weeks later...

For 1/72 I use synthetic hair, 1/48 I use transparent nylon thread.

Hey Guy

Where in the world do you buy these items. And how do you CONNECT it to the airplane ?

Z GOD BLESS YOU

schooner 😎

I use very fine clear thread that I bought at WalMart, I think, for my 1/72nd aircraft and attach it with just a drop of "super glue".

I use Gorilla Glue (blue cap).