Which One To Choose Reguarding The Right Airbrush Paint ?

schooner

Hi Guys ( Still A Newbie ) :smiley24:

There's one more airbrush paint I'm considering?

It's called COM-ART and would like to know if you

guys even used it or what do you think about it ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iwata-Medea-Com-Art-Color-Kit-Kit-G-Opaque-Transparent/162330180846?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40832%26meid%3D4a7c4113ff5a4372872440e4b933a4b0%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D401042247755

Please click on attachment.

post-3123-0-85725500-1485104434_thumb.jpg

Ray: Keep in mind that plastic model builders are only a portion of the "airbrush user" market. A large number of users are actual artists, illustrators, and architects (just to name a few). T-shirt artists are a particularly large market, and those ComArt paints strike me as being for such a commercial art use, and not for plastic model use, though I'm not absolutely sure about that.

Just for starters, go to Sprue Brothers on-line hobby shop (link): https://store.spruebrothers.com/

Scroll down a little and put your cursor on the word "paint" in the left hand column and you'll see it open into a larger gray area listing all of the model paints available.

Note that it has listings for both acrylic and enamel/lacquers. Some of them are "airbrush ready" paints. Just click onto each to explore their options and costs. Also note that all of the non-acrylics are shipped by ground only since they're a flammable product.

I'd strongly suggest that when you buy some paint, you stick to model hobby paints for the following reasons:

1) They're formulated to work with and cover plastics better than other paints

2) The EXACT color you'll be asked to use in the kit instructions is generally available, though you may have to shop around a bit brand-wise, meaning you won't have to try to mix something up

3) They have their own thinners, which when all else fails, is the safest, surest way to get the best results with the paint brand you're using

4) They're designed to be used by a "general public" with little to no experience

Also, although airbrush ready paint can be convenient, keep this in mind: it is (essentially) pre-thinned paint. That means it will shoot through your airbrush more easily. BUT, it also mans it will NOT cover as well if you try to brush paint it! Also, there are not nearly as many airbrush ready colors available when compared to the catalog of available model paints.

Since you're just starting out, in order to save money, I suggest you buy regular paints. Those can be used for both brush painting AND airbrushing, only requiring that YOU add the thinner when you want to spray one.

Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

THANK YOU GIL

I will go to the Web site you suggested.

Let me ask you one more question. About paint what doesn't need thinning but don't cover as well as thinned paint. Is that correct?

THANKS AGAIN