Maddog Manufacturing 2017 Production Line

Mark Deliduka

Nice work, there's a 1/72 scale group build at Fine Scale Modeler that you should join.

Your Classy Peg markings are not correct for that type of Sherman. She was a large hatch M4A3 that served in the Phillipines and your kit appears to be a small hatch M4 with early turret and ETO US stars.

67c4f0f9e73ef3881e86d4d8325f8e79.jpg

For the first time in about a week or so I was able to get into the hobby room to play. I managed to put in a couple hours getting caught up on a few things.

To start with, I added the engines to the wings of the Boeing 737 and did some sanding on the filler I added to the fuselage seams. I also glued on the tail surfaces. Here it is with the wings dry-fit to the fuselage:

WIP_Boeing_737_IX.jpg

The wings will remain off so I can paint the fuselage and wings separately.

Moving on, I dullcoated the Russian carrier Baku. The island is just sitting there dry-fit to the hull:

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_XVI_.jpg

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_XVII_.jp

Finally, here is the progress I made on the armor I've been working on.

Since I had the airbrush out to dullcoat the carrier, I also dullcoated the three 1/48 scale gaming Shermans. Since they don't look any different (except flatter) I didn't shoot any pics of them. I did however shoot paint on my Merkava IV tank:

WIP_Merkava_IV_MBT_V.jpg

WIP_Merkava_IV_MBT_VI.jpg

This is just a basecoat of green drab. I had a friend of mine who told me these tanks were more green than the Israeli armor sand-grey that previous tanks were painted. So, I figured I'd basecoat this with the green drab then lightly mist on the Israeli armor sand-grey over to so that the green shows through. If I do this right; I hope it really shows well.

Since I was still airbrushing, out came the USAAF support set of vehicles. All of these got a base coat of Olive Drab:

WIP_USAAF_Resupply_Set_XVIII.jpg

Next will be detail painting and then gloss coat for decals.

While I was at it, I also shot a base coat of Olive Drab on the little Bofors cannon:

WIP_Bofors_AA_Gun_II.jpg

I'm gonna paint the barrel a metallic black/gunmetal color.

Finally, after putting away the airbrush, I still wanted to build something so I pulled out the little Vauxhall car and finished off the suspension that I didn't get to finish at Hobby Day:

WIP_Roden_Vauxhall_II.jpg

Man this is a fiddly little kit that is a challenge to get lined up. I moved on and built the interior and main body of this car:

WIP_Roden_Vauxhall_III.jpg

Later on I added the fenders to the chassis:

WIP_Roden_Vauxhall_IV.jpg

Once again, it was tough getting those fender to sit right.

Finally, here is a shot of the whole car dry-fit together:

WIP_Roden_Vauxhall_V.jpg

This is going to be one sharp looking little car when I get done.

That's all I got done so far. I may be able to work on some more models tomorrow so stay tuned.

Meanwhile, thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Nice work, there's a 1/72 scale group build at Fine Scale Modeler that you should join.

Your Classy Peg markings are not correct for that type of Sherman. She was a large hatch M4A3 that served in the Phillipines and your kit appears to be a small hatch M4 with early turret and ETO US stars.

67c4f0f9e73ef3881e86d4d8325f8e79.jpg

Rob, thanks for pointing that out. I definitely screwed up, but I'm not gonna change it now. It was mostly built for a wargamer so I'm not going to sweat the small stuff. I do appreciate you shwoing me this; I do have a hard time sometimes telling Shermans apart so your pic was most helpful.

Also, I've been trying to find that 1/72 scale Group Build on the FSM but been unsuccessful. It keeps taking me back to the 2016 and 2015 ones when I search for it. Have you a link for the new one?

Nice work and progress Duke! I find it odd that the Russian carrier seems to have that "dead" space on the right side of the island. It doesn't look wide enough to be of practical use and makes the flight side all the more crowded.

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks Gil! I appreciate the comments. I do believe that dead space is where they park the deck tractors and weapon carts that are used on deck. There is also supposed to be a crane in there somewhere if I recall that is used as a supply crane lofting supplies to the deck to be distributed below. I don't know for sure though.

Okay, now I have everything uploaded from my progress for the past week so here it goes. There's a lot of pics for not so much work, so bear with me. This is all the work I managed to get done over the past two or three days.

I'll start with my aircraft.

The first thing I did was to mask the windows for the F-102 Delta Dagger:

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XVII.jpg

Then I shot a primer over the whole thing when the masking dried:

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XVIII.jpg

I did the same thing with the Boeing 737; I masked the windows first:

WIP_Boeing_737_XI.jpg

As that was drying, I shot a primer coat on the wings:

WIP_Boeing_737_X.jpg

Later on, I also primed the fuselage:

WIP_Boeing_737_XII.jpg

Simple and easy, all that was put aside to set up properly. Later on, I'll try to see if I can apply a nice smooth coat of paint on them.

Moving on, I was getting sick and tired of the VW bus sitting around taking up space. I decided to get to work on that and see how far I needed to go before I had to stop due to lost parts and such. From the get-go, I screwed up. As I was getting ready to add one of the windshield windows to this, it got messed up. My attempts to clean it turned out thusly:

WIP_VW_Van_XiI.jpg

I don't even know whether to try to clear that up or just try and add some different windows or something....

Moving on, I finished up the interior of this bus:

WIP_VW_Van_XiII.jpg

While trying to add the side doors to the one panel, I broke both the hinges and lost them; making me have to glue this door in:

WIP_VW_Van_XIV.jpg

The other one I was able to install properly so that it opens and closes. Oh well, our VW bus in my youth had the same problem with a stuck door so...

I went on and finished gluing all the side panels on to the chassis of the bus. Then I installed the one door on the front panel; this opens up too. Here are the two 'subassemblies' sitting side by side:

WIP_VW_Van_XV.jpg

In putting this all together, I found out about two more parts that disappeared with the front door, the back window and the lower body panel below the engine door:

WIP_VW_Van_XVI.jpg

Later on I snapped the front end onto the model to check alignment of the doors and such:

WIP_VW_Van_XVII.jpg

It was actually still pretty flimsy and misaligned, so I snapped the roof on top to help the sides to all glue into place properly:

WIP_VW_Van_XVIII.jpg

WIP_VW_Van_XIX.jpg

I could add the wheels to this, but I'll wait. Beyond the wheels, this is as far as I can get on this until I find the missing parts. Back to the Shelf of Shame for this one until further developments.....

Moving on to something that I can finish, I got more work done on three of the armor models I'm working on.

First off, I shot flat black over the tires of all the USAAF vehicles so I could move on with them when I could:

WIP_USAAF_Resupply_Set_XIX.jpg

I also detail painted some parts on some of those vehicles but did not take pics of them.

On my Merkava, it is really hard to see in these pics; but I shot a mist coat of Israeli Sand Grey over this model. I modulated the color a bit too, and also dry-brushed the highlights; not that you can tell here:

WIP_Merkava_IV_MBT_VII.jpg

WIP_Merkava_IV_MBT_VIII.jpg

Later on I painted the tarps on the back of this with Olive Drab. Again, these pics make it hard to see the difference:

WIP_Merkava_IV_MBT_IX.jpg

These effects are much more visible to the naked eye. Oh well, maybe later I'll be able to take pics that show this off to good effect.

Finally, on my armor, I got more done on the Vauxhall staff car. To start, I built the roof for this car:

WIP_Roden_Vauxhall_VI.jpg

Later after sanding the hood too much, I re-added the hinge line across the top:

WIP_Roden_Vauxhall_VII.jpg

This might be slightly out of scale, but I stretched the sprue to get this and I was afraid of stretching it too thin and snapping it.

I then finished adding all the parts to the chassis. I had to re-make the parking brake as it snapped off some time ago and disappeared:

WIP_Roden_Vauxhall_VIII.jpg

After drying, this model was ready for paint. So I masked off the bottom where the two sub-assemblies are supposed to join:

WIP_Roden_Vauxhall_IX.jpg

I then shot the first color on this car; the 'deep green' that the instructions said to paint it:

WIP_Roden_Vauxhall_X.jpg

That is a flat color so I'll be glossing that up later on.

In getting this far, I realized that the clear parts are missing for this kit as well. I do believe I have them in a different box somewhere; I just need to see if I can find them. Otherwise, I'm facing some difficult scratchbuilding ahead....

More continued on the following post....

Continued from previous post.....

Finally, I joined a Star Wars Group Build on another Forums, thanks to the generosity of a good friend who sent me the Revell Imperial Star Destroyer. This is a well engineered snap together kit that surprisingly needed very little glue to seal seams and went together very quickly. It is also a 'motorized' kit with lights and sounds which are all controlled in this little module:

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_I.jpg

That clear pull tab will activate the batteries allowing this to work. I'll pull that when I am done with this.

Here it sits all nestled in place right in front of where the engines go:

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_Ib.jpg

There are openings in the back that will light up some clear blue parts in the engines.

Once the rear and engines were assembled and installed, the top hull was added to this lower hull. Easy peasy:

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_IV.jpg

Here's a shot of the engines with the clear blue inserts that light up:

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_V.jpg

And yes, that gap is supposed to be there.

Next is the lower superstructure. You can see how they engineered this kit to go together without seams:

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_VI.jpg

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_VIa.jpg

Next I added the upper superstructure to this assembly:

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_VII.jpg

I then installed it on the main hull and slid the bridge neck into place:

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_VIII.jpg

Building the bridge itself required a bit of glue to close the seams adequately:

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_IX.jpg

Finally, here she is in all her finished glory:

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_X.jpg

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_XI.jpg

Finished assembly, that is. I still need to paint and detail this. To start that, I shot a coat of light grey primer over this whole thing:

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_XIII.jpg

With all the detail on this, it is screaming for some washes and dry-brushes of color!

That is all I have for now. That Star Destroyer was a real fun and relaxing model to build; it really helped bring me down from some of the more frustrating models I was working on. *cough*VW BUS!*cough*

I don't know how much more I'll be able to do for the next few days, but stay tuned, I'll be working on some of this hopefully soon. Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my latest progress on some of the models I was working on during Hobby Day.

I'll start with my aircraft. I got the decals on the C-118. Everything went on well surprisingly. Too well as I ran into another major issues after re-coating the model with a clearcoat to seal the decals:

WIP_CargoHaulersCampaign_XXXIXa.jpg

WIP_CargoHaulersCampaign_XXXIX.jpg

These are the pre-clearcoat shots. After spraying the second clearcoat to seal these, the silver on the wings crackled. I'm working on fixing that now....

I also added decals to the F/A-18 Hornet that has been sitting on the bench forever. This is another of my Modeling New Year's Resolution builds:

WIP_Modern_Aircraft_GB_XX.jpg

Some of the decals broke up, but I was able to fix them adequately. Later I shot this with the same clearcoat as the C-118 to no ill effect. Go figure. Later, I added the landing gear and gear doors to this:

WIP_Modern_Aircraft_GB_XXI.jpg

After this dried sufficiently, I added the white paint to the interior of the gear bays as well as the gear. I then glued on the wheels and added the underwing pylons:

WIP_Modern_Aircraft_GB_XXII.jpg

She's almost done (knock on wood!); all I need to do now is shoot a dullcoat; remove the masking and then add underwing stores:

WIP_Modern_Aircraft_GB_XXIII.jpg

Man this will feel good to finally get finished!

Speaking of almost finished; I also added the decals to the A-37A Dragonfly:

WIP_A_37A_Dragonfly_XVII.jpg

I later added the (already painted) stubby landing gear, gear doors and wheels to this model:

WIP_A_37A_Dragonfly_XVIII.jpg

Now this one is also almost finished. She just needs a dullcoat, mask removal and underwing stores as well:

WIP_A_37A_Dragonfly_XIX.jpg

This will be the first ever Dragonfly I ever built when it's done. Now to go find some underwing stores for this....

My final aircraft for the day was the old skool Airfix Jetstream I had started some time ago. I pulled this out and painted the interior and the pilots:

WIP_USAF_Jetstream_III.jpg

I later added the rest of the interior and added the fuselage doors to this:

WIP_USAF_Jetstream_IV.jpg

I need to finish painting this interior, but I couldn't resist dry-fitting everything together to see how it is going to look:

WIP_USAF_Jetstream_V.jpg

This will be interesting. I still have to paint it like the C-118...

Moving on to my armor, I didn't get much done here. I did pull out the Type 89 Late and tried to get it caught up to the Type 89 Early. That meant tackling those tiny roadwheels again; all 32 of them, plus the sprockets:

WIP_Japanese_Type_89_Late_II.jpg

Later I added the upper sponsons and the fenders to this:

WIP_Japanese_Type_89_Late_III.jpg

I then looked at the Type 89 Early and saw that it also needed the upper sponsons and fenders and the exhaust pipe; along with some other details, so on they went:

WIP_Japanese_Type_89_Late_IV.jpg

WIP_Japanese_Type_89_Late_V.jpg

I went back to the Type 89 Late and brought it up to the same level with the exhaust pipe and added details. I also added the rear ditching tail. I tried to do the same to the Early, but I lost one of the skid pieces for the unditching tail on the Early. I hope to find it soon so I can complete the early too. Meanwhile, the Type 89 Late is ready for paint:

WIP_Japanese_Type_89_Late_VI.jpg

Just for fun, here's a shot of the two of them side by side; showing the differences between them. The Exacto blade shows the relative size of these two tanks too:

WIP_Japanese_Type_89_Late_VIII.jpg

Beyond that, I didn't do too much except to start a couple of the new Aerosans I got. The first small one was fairly easy to assemble so far but there are some gaps to fill:

WIP_Game_Sleds_I.jpg

Later I got most of the assembly of the main body done and started on the engine:

WIP_Game_Sleds_II.jpg

While that was drying, I started the larger one, getting it this far before I had to stop for the day:

WIP_Game_Sleds_III.jpg

That's all I have so far. I hope to get more done soon. Meanwhile, stay tuned and thanks for any and all comments.

Thanks Gil! Yeah, they are tiny tanks and well detailed for their size and scale too. I'm looking forward to seeing them in paint.

I'm slowly working on the cracking issue. Hopefully soon things will clear up. Stay tuned.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some progress I made a couple weeks ago. Due to heavy work, Comicon and extreme frustration, I am only just now able to post this Maddog Manufacturing update. I really didn't get very much done at all relative to my usual productivity, but progress is progress. I'll start with my aircraft so I can explain the extreme frustration part...

Once I sanded the cracks out of my C-118 wings; I was preparing to re-paint the wings by masking off the fuselage. Since I had already shot a couple coats of clear over this; I decided to use frisket film. The frisket film shifted a bit during application and so I pulled it up slightly to re-position it in place and this happened:

WIP_CargoHaulersCampaign_XXXIXb.jpg

This plane damn near impacted the wall with the velocity of an unladen African swallow! :smiley7: :smiley18: :smiley26:

I controlled myself though and set it aside....gently. My friend Steve picked up another kit of this same plane at the Nationals for me so I'll be able to replace that decal. Then I'll be shooting TEN coats of clear over them to be sure!

Moving on, I also dealt with the decals on my Jetstream. Here they are after I applied a coat of Liquid Decal Film over them. They have been sitting in my window for a couple weeks now to bleach out:

WIP_USAF_Jetstream_VI.jpg

Moving on, there is a One True Scale Group Build on another Forums so I submitted this model for it. This is Dragon's LCM-3 that I started when I was bored and had nothing else to work on due to wet glue or paint:

WIP_OTS_2017_I.jpg

I started with the cockpit(?). For the life of me I could not get that assembly to line up. This was the best looking job I had managed to do:

WIP_OTS_2017_II.jpg

I then moved on to the front ramp, adding the hinge parts to the bottom:

WIP_OTS_2017_III.jpg

Of course, that meant that I now had to finish adding the bars on top:

WIP_OTS_2017_IV.jpg

That is all ready for installation now. Man, I expected this model to fit better, but it has been a mass of ill-fitting parts and unclear positioning!

Moving on I added the top deck to the lower hull and that is as far as this got to date:

WIP_OTS_2017_V.jpg

From here, I pulled out my Borax Wagon Train and finished the dark wash on the wagons; removed the masking on the wheels and suspension; and re-assembled everything. I also completed the water wagon which had never been assembled to the chassis. This is now ready for some dusting and dirtying:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_XVII.jpg

I also have to paint up the 20 mules for this so I can get everything assembled. Now where did I put that base for this......

Finally on my armor; I did a few minor things. The Schturmtiger got almost all the P/E it needs as well as the wheels installed; I just have to add the P/E crane parts and then find the driver's vision slot and I'll be able to paint this:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_XVII.jpg

WIP_BS_GB_Shturmtiger_IX.jpg

You can see one of the side fenders disappeared so this is going to be missing a fender....

I also lost the P/E fret for my Sherman so I improvised the fenders with some sheet styrene. I do still need to sand it smooth, but the fenders are now closed off on this as they are supposed to be:

WIP_Sherman_Mineroller_XIII.jpg

Just another test fit to make sure my new fender additions won't conflict with the mine roller mount:

WIP_Sherman_Mineroller_XIV.jpg

Finally, I shot a gloss clear over the Vauxhall car to shine it up. Here it is all test fit together now. I had to rob a steering wheel from one of my Aerosans since the Vauxhall one disappeared:

WIP_Roden_Vauxhall_XI.jpg

Disregard that piece of lint on this; that was easily removed once I saw it later. Now all I need to do next is start on the interior detail painting. I also found the clear parts for this so I'll be able to finish it now!

That's all I have for now. I'm not sure when I'll be able to work on anything again for a few days... or maybe weeks.... so stay tuned and I'll post again when I can get something else done.

Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After a month of my life in total upheaval, I finally found some time to 'play' on the workbench. Let me show you the latest from Maddog Manufacturing. It is a very small update, so...

I'll start with my Borax wagons. They are essentially done except for some dusting and weathering so I moved on to my mules. I started with ten of them; half of the total. Here they are after my basecoat of brown:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_XIX.jpg

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_XVIII.jpg

My apologies for the messy bench in the background; I know some of you hate to see that. I didn't have anywhere else to shoot these pics. I hope to move forward on these someday soon.

Next up I shot some clearcoats on my C-118, and my USAAF supply set, along with a couple other models. Nothing to see as it was a clear coat so nothing looked any different so no additional pics.

One model I did shoot a pic of that was clearcoated is my Merkava IV. I had also given it a wash and painted some of the details so here it is showing the latest progress:

WIP_Merkava_IV_MBT_IX~0.jpg

I also did some of the details on my Roden Vauxhall car, adding the gold trim and painting the radiator grill, among other things:

WIP_Roden_Vauxhall_XII.jpg

WIP_Roden_Vauxhall_XIII.jpg

While I had the airbrush out, I also shot an OD basecoat on my Sherman with the minerollers:

WIP_Sherman_Mineroller_XV.jpg

WIP_Sherman_Mineroller_XVI.jpg

There is still a bit of touchup needed for that as I see under the hull sides....

After that I took a break and got some of the landing craft assembled. I completed the interior part here:

WIP_OTS_2017_VI.jpg

And then test-fit it inside to see how it fit. Surprisingly, this fit fine:

WIP_OTS_2017_VII.jpg

Meanwhile, I tried to get the forward door to fit on that but found out I had glued something wrong on it so I had to repair that. Maybe next time I'll be able to get it to fit right.

Finally, I shot a coat of flat black to the underside and select areas on the space shuttle. Man that felt good making some progress on that for once:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXVII.jpg

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXIX.jpg

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXVIII.jpg

Well that completes my small update. I'll be going back to work so I might not have much time to work on my models again for awhile, but at least I was able to get this much done. I'm thrilled.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

• Like 1

Glad you're finding some bench time Duke. I'm sure it's needed as a change of pace with everything else you've been tackling. I'm still amazed at the number of projects you continually have going. I drove myself batty just trying to build 3 of the same thing at the same time recently!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks Gil! I find having more than one on the go helps prevent burnout for me. I more typically get denied bench time than I do burn out. And yes, with everything I have going on, this really helped!

• 5 weeks later...

Now that I had some time, I managed to get some progress done. Here's what's been done on my workbench lately.

I'll start with my aircraft. The F-102 I'm doing for the Charlie Don't Surf Campaign was first masked off on the bottom:

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XIX.jpg

Next I shot the first of the three camouflage colors on it:

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XX.jpg

This is still drying, I may get the other masking and colors on it this week.

After that, I started a couple simple models from Accurate Miniatures of a P-40 and P-51B for a Monogram Mafia Group Build on another boards. These are simple models originally from Monogram; I know because there was engraving on the inside of the wings saying Copyright Monogram and the year!

Here is the P-40 started; I had painted the interior and added the pilot (since there was no cockpit at all!) and then I closed it up and added the canopy:

WIP_Monogram_Mafia_2017_GB_II.jpg

After that I moved on to the propeller and cowl and assembled all that while the rest was drying:

WIP_Monogram_Mafia_2017_GB_III.jpg

Then I assembled the wings to have all the sub assemblies done and ready to assemble when everything was dry:

WIP_Monogram_Mafia_2017_GB_IV.jpg

Since I could go no further on this and since I'm supposed to do two Monogram models for the Group Build in order to be 'Made' in the Monogram Mafia; I also pulled out the P-51B that came in the same kit. I got the interior painted and the fuselage all closed up before I remembered to shoot a pic:

WIP_Monogram_Mafia_2017_GB_V.jpg

Later on I assembled the wings and dry-fit them to the model:

WIP_Monogram_Mafia_2017_GB_VI.jpg

Finally, I shot another dullcoat and then removed the canopy masking from my F/A-18 Hornet:

WIP_Modern_Aircraft_GB_XXIX.jpg

Now all I have to do is wait for my replacement burner cans, clean the canopy and mount the ordinance and this bird will finally be done.

Moving on, I was able to get the Sherman more fully painted:

WIP_Sherman_Mineroller_XVII.jpg

WIP_Sherman_Mineroller_XVIII.jpg

Later on I decided to shoot some white on my two Aerosans and move forward on them for once. Here's the smaller one shot first:

WIP_Game_Sleds_IV.jpg

WIP_Game_Sleds_V.jpg

The larger one was shot next. I didn't put the roof on it; I may leave it off:

WIP_Game_Sleds_VI.jpg

WIP_Game_Sleds_VII.jpg

Once these were dry, I painted a basecoat of Oily Black on the engines and painted the seats in the interiors. I also tried to paint the dials on the instrument panel of the smaller Aerosan:

WIP_Game_Sleds_VIII.jpg

There's gonna need to be some touch-up, but these are finally moving forward.

Moving on to some of my more eclectic subjects, I decided to experiment with some weathering and panel line pinwashing on the bottom of the Star Destroyer. I'm not that happy with the results under here; except in the shuttle bays:

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_XIV.jpg

I think I'm going to do that over.

I also did the same deep wash on the face of the command module. I'm well pleased with how this looks so far:

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_XV.jpg

I'll be dry-brushing with a lighter grey over this later on.

I did the same on the back of the module and on the neck as well. It looks well enough so far:

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_XVI.jpg

Finally, I managed to get a lot done on my 20-mule team Borax wagon train. Here is the first wagon dusted up and weathered a bit:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_XX.jpg

This pic doesn't show the dust to good effect here. I over-edited it. This second wagon shows the dusting more accurately the way it looks in person:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_XXa.jpg

Then there is the water wagon all dusted up:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_XXb.jpg

Just for fun I tried to get a good shot of the whole train together sans mules:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_XXc.jpg

This doesn't look like what I see when I look at it so I tried it with the flash. I think this looks much better; it really shows the dirt to better effect:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_XXd.jpg

Now of course, I gotta do the mules. I had already showed where I painted the first ten mules. This time I broke out the Sotar airbrush and focused on getting the noses and hocks all painted in the white-ish color that these mules have on those places:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_XXIa.jpg

After this I can paint the hooves, blinders and harnesses and then move on to the final ten mules. I'm beginning to see the end of the trail for this model....

That's all I have for now for this week. I hope to get more done next week and possibly finish something else. Stay tuned everyone and thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

This is my latest progress on a number of my models I finally got to work on.

I'll start with my aircraft....

To start with, I finished the interior on the USAF Jetstream. It may not be accurate, but nothing much will be seen through those tiny windows anyway:

WIP_USAF_Jetstream_VII.jpg

Once that was done, I closed everything up:

WIP_USAF_Jetstream_VIII.jpg

Then I saw all those sink marks everywhere. Time to bring out the Mr. Surfacer 500....

WIP_USAF_Jetstream_X.jpg

WIP_USAF_Jetstream_IX.jpg

Later on I'll get that sanded.

Thanks to a good friend, I managed to finally get the burner cans on my F/A-18 Hornet! They will need some touch up, but I'll now be able to finish this soon:

WIP_Modern_Aircraft_GB_XXX.jpg

I also masked off the tail end of the F-15 Strike Eagle to add the bare steel plating to the aft engine covers:

WIP_MMM2017_Eagle_XII.jpg

WIP_MMM2017_Eagle_XIII.jpg

I finished up the Eagle burner cans, adding some Tamiya blue weathering powder for exhaust nozzles to make them look more 'burned':

WIP_MMM2017_Eagle_XIX.jpg

First time I ever used that stuff for this. I'm not sure it turned out the best but hey, it's done.

Here's the tail of this bird after I shot the steel. Somehow a lot of dust got kicked up so I'll have to buff this more smooth:

WIP_MMM2017_Eagle_XXI.jpg

WIP_MMM2017_Eagle_XX.jpg

Finally, because I was painting OD green on something else, I decided to use the remaining paint in the airbrush on the F-102 Dagger. I only masked and shot the wings so far. I'll need to re-shoot more on the fuselage later:

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XXI.jpg

Moving on to my ships, I started doing the many tiny detail parts on my Russian carrier Baku. These are tiny radar assemblies with six parts to each one, yet you can see the half-assembled part right here in the sprue by the instructions explaining how to build these. My Exacto is strategically placed for scale reference and to helpfully point to the assembly I'm trying to do:

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_XVIII_.j

I have to make four of them. While these half-assemblies were drying, I moved on and added more to the superstructure/bridge assembly of this carrier. Newest parts in lighter grey:

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_XVIIIa_.

I also added about five more parts to the fore deck on the bow:

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_XIX_.jpg

I later assembled the two main guns and dry-fit them to the hull along with the superstructure to see how this was coming along and motivate myself to finish it:

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_XX_.jpg

I also started the assembly of the air wing but since they are all in clear plastic, I'll wait till they're painted first to before trying to photograph them.

Moving along again to my armor, I did make some small progress. Before, I had tried to seal some seams on the tank part of the fuel truck in my USAAF supply set. I finally got the OD green shot on that:

WIP_USAAF_Resupply_Set_XIX~0.jpg

I may still have to fix a few things on that but at least the worst of it is fixed.

The SchturmTiger is now completed with all the photo etch parts on it. I also scratch built a new vision port for the driver since the kit one had gone on a trip to Oblivion. Mine is most likely too big, but it's on there and I'm done:

WIP_BS_GB_Shturmtiger_IX~0.jpg

I tried shooting a base coat of Panzer Dunklegelb on this but I appear to have thinned the paint too much. I'll wait till this dries, probably shoot a primer grey on it and then try again:

WIP_BS_GB_Shturmtiger_X.jpg

Finally, since I was shooting paint on tanks, I decided to basecoat the two little Japanese tanks I'm doing. The Type 89 Early got a coat of grey. This was an experiment since I lost the color call out sheet for this tank; I have no idea the proper color to paint this so I'm trying different ones to see what looks best. This shade I think is too light:

WIP_Japanese_Type_89_Early_VI.jpg

The other tank is camouflaged so; using the darkest-to-lightest practice, I shot the dark brown coat on the Type 89 Late tank:

WIP_Japanese_Type_89_Late_IX.jpg

That will get the Silly Putty treatment later. While I had the brown out, I also shot the remaining ten Mules for the 20-Mule Team. I didn't shoot pics of them since they look just like the first ten when I shot them with a basecoat.

Finally, I continued some experiments with my Star Destroyer to see what was the best way to bring out all that detail the most. First I shot a coat of Camouflage Grey over the whole thing:

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_XVIIa.jpg

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_XVIIb.jpg

My first experiment involved Promodeler Wash. I slathered it on thick like it suggested:

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_XVIIc.jpg

Later I wiped it off with a damp paper towel. It didn't turn out the way I expected it to so I played around with the Promodeler wash and camouflage grey drybrushing until I got this result on the bottom:

WIP_SPAM_Star_Wars_GB_XVIId.jpg

Pics don't show this to good effect here but I'm quite happy with this result.

Well, that's the latest update on my progress so far. I'm glad to finally see some of these move forward. I just wish I could get some of these done faster. I'll keep working on them. Meanwhile, comments are welcome, thanks for looking in.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had a very productive week on the workbench followed by a very productive Hobby Day weekend.

Brace yourselves people, this is going to be one long update with a ton of pics.

I'll start out at the Shipyards with my ship this time. This Russian carrier Baku got some additional detail parts on the island. I also added the ships boats and other detail parts to the main hull. I then assembled all the missile launch tubes and dry-fit them to the forward deck to see how they were going to look:

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_XXI_.jpg

The "Cake Stand" radar is also just dry-fit. I still need to paint it first. Here's some more shots:

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_XXII_.jp

WIP_ShipbuildersSquaredCampaign_XXIII_.j

Next, I assembled the pilot deck for the 'phib, starting with the pilot house controls and then adding the hatch and other bits and bobs:

WIP_OTS_2017_VIII.jpg

Later I cemented the interior and the pilot house deck in place:

WIP_OTS_2017_X.jpg

The rest will be continued on the next two posts. Feel free to keep reading....

Continuing my post above....

Moving back into the aircraft assembly line, I managed to get a lot done on a number of my aircraft. On the F-15E, I removed the masking to see how well the steel laid down. It was a bit rough as you can see here; this has since been buffed out to a smooth finish:

WIP_MMM2017_Eagle_XXIII.jpg

WIP_MMM2017_Eagle_XXII.jpg

Now to add decals to this.

My next model was the P-51B Mustang I'm doing for another Group Build. I painted the pilot and placed him in the cockpit of the plane and then sealed him in under the canopy. This plane is now ready for making and paint, along with the P-40 that came with it in the box:

WIP_Monogram_Mafia_2017_GB_VII.jpg

Another aircraft I made progress on was my F-102 for the "Charlie Don't Surf" campaign. I masked off the areas I needed to so I could shoot the tan color:

WIP_CDS_Meng_F-102_Dagger_XXII.jpg

I hope to fire up the airbrush this week to finish that camouflage pattern, along with a number of other models I have ready for paint.

One of the aircraft I did get primer on (again!) was my Boeing 737. After having sanded and buffed out the discrepancies, I shot it again to see how well I did on smoothing this out:

WIP_Boeing_737_XIII.jpg

Not bad. I will need to buff this to a fine shine again before I attempt to shoot paint on this,

Another model I primed was this little USAF Jetstream I was working on. First though, I had to fill in and sand smooth all the sink holes all over this little plane. Here are some pics showing everything I had to fill and try to feather out:

WIP_USAF_Jetstream_XI.jpg

WIP_USAF_Jetstream_XII.jpg

I even had to fill a few places on the wing assembly:

WIP_USAF_Jetstream_XIII.jpg

After all that sanding and buffing, I added the main cockpit canopy and started to mask off the windows:

WIP_USAF_Jetstream_XIV.jpg

Finally, the primer went down:

WIP_USAF_Jetstream_XV.jpg

If you look close, you can see where I have to try again to fill some of the sink marks. Still, it turned out better than I expected.

Moving on, I decided to get some more progress done on my two F-14 Tomcats for the review I'm doing. It's been too long and far too late so it was time to hustle on these. First off, I added the P/E additions to the inside of the canopy:

WIP_F-14_Tomcats_SPAM_Review_XXII.jpg

WIP_F-14_Tomcats_SPAM_Review_XXIII.jpg

These were slightly difficult to glue in place, be sure to check the bottom edge of the P/E parts to make sure they don't fall below the edge of the canopy. Also, check the instruction sheet closely to insure that you glue them in right side up.

Again, I am doing one with the full P/E workup; here are the two canopies side by side:

WIP_F-14_Tomcats_SPAM_Review_XXIIIa.jpg

In my haste to close the two cockpits sections up, I neglected to paint those inserts, but they aren't that easy to see anyway. What I did remember to do was to paint the yellow stripes on the ejection seat handles:

WIP_F-14_Tomcats_SPAM_Review_XXIIIb.jpg

Finally, I closed these up:

WIP_F-14_Tomcats_SPAM_Review_XXIIIc.jpg

The fit of the canopy pieces was very good. Despite the gap you see in the one; these fit exceptionally well. The gap was my own mistake, not due to any lack of quality in the kit parts.

After having closed everything up, I cemented the cockpit sections to the rear fuselage assemblies. These two aircraft are now ready for masking and paint:

WIP_F-14_Tomcats_SPAM_Review_XXIV.jpg

I do know that the wings appear to be retracted too far; they are not glued in yet. I need to find out why they keep slipping into that position and set them properly.

Now that I made such significant progress on these two Tomcats, I decided to start another review kit I had gotten. This one is the Hasegawa A-10C Thunderbolt II.

To be continued on the next post....

Continued from previous post....

As usual, I started to assembled the cockpit. It was a very easy and quick assembly. The parts fit very well and I was later able to paint them after assembly. Here in this pic, the seats are only dry-fit in place. The instructions have you add the seats after closing the cockpit tub inside the fuselage halves. I don't know why since there disn't appear to be any obstructions, but I decided to follow the instructions for the purposes of this review. Everything is shown here:

A-10C_Thunderbolt_II_SPAM_Review_V.jpg

The decals for the instrument panels went in well. I always trim along the edge of each decal anyway to insure a good fit. The main instrument panel was glued under the cowl and then the decal was added after it dried:

A-10C_Thunderbolt_II_SPAM_Review_VI.jpg

I used Solvaset to help draw the decal into the detailed engraving on the IP. It hadn't quite finished yet when I took this pic.

The instructions then have you assemble the nose gear bay which will later be cemented up under the fuselage assembly:

A-10C_Thunderbolt_II_SPAM_Review_VIII.jp

They also give you a schematic showing where to add the nose weights to keep this model from being a tail sitter. So, I added my nose weights to the gear bay assembly:

A-10C_Thunderbolt_II_SPAM_Review_VIIIa.j

Yes, it is probably too much, but I just wanted to be sure. Once this is closed up, it won't be opened again!

Moving on, they have you assemble the engines. The parts for these engines don't quite fit very well with lots of little 'steps' and misaligned parts. It's very slight, but if you try to adjust one side, you pull another section out of alignment. I did the best I could with these:

A-10C_Thunderbolt_II_SPAM_Review_IX.jpg

It's just going to take a bit of extra sanding on these.

After that, I assembled the main wings. These were a fairly good fit for the most part:

A-10C_Thunderbolt_II_SPAM_Review_Xa.jpg

The roughness around the edges was me adding a slight amount of extra glue to squeeze out of the joint to seal it up better. The bottom however is where you find some of the fit issues that need to be dealt with:

A-10C_Thunderbolt_II_SPAM_Review_Xa.jpg

Here's a close up of the worst part. Try as I might, I could not get these ends to lay down properly:

A-10C_Thunderbolt_II_SPAM_Review_Xc.jpg

I'm not even sure how I'll sand that given the rectangular detail near that seam; I'll have to experiment.

Finally, the empennage went together exceptionally well. The vertical stabilizers went on at a perfect 90-degree angle on this:

A-10C_Thunderbolt_II_SPAM_Review_VII.jpg

NOTE: Be sure you cement the two vertical stabilizers in the proper direction! It's easy to cement them on upside down if you forget the opening for attaching this to the fuselage is on top, not the bottom of the horizontal part.

After all of that, I closed up the cockpit assembly inside the fuselage; added the forward gear bay, and the engine and empennage assemblies:

A-10C_Thunderbolt_II_SPAM_Review_XIa.jpg

A-10C_Thunderbolt_II_SPAM_Review_XIb.jpg

Everything fit well here. The only issues I really had were the forward gear bay assembly did not match up too well with the fuselage assembly. It took some judicious manipulating to get everything lined up. I'm happy enough with the results; I think my issues might have been caused by the nose weights inside. The other issue is the step on the engine assembly. I'm still debating whether I'll sand that down or not; it is in a difficult position with a difficult curvature to match.

Finally, I dry-fit the wings to see how this will look:

A-10C_Thunderbolt_II_SPAM_Review_XII.jpg

It is a nice looking aircraft!

With all that going on, I wanted to also start something quick and easy that I could just "throw" together (and hopefully not miss to often!) I pulled out an old Heller J-32 Lanssen aircraft and got started on the cockpit:

WIP_Swedish_J-32_Lanssen_I.jpg

Afterward I painted it up. I had to guess at the colors. but when the cockpit is all closed up, no one will really notice. Besides, this is just a fun build for me.

WIP_Swedish_J-32_Lanssen_V.jpg

You can see where I dry-brushed the instrument panels to bring out the detail.

I then added the engine intake strakes to the fuselage halves along with a few other bits and bobs:

WIP_Swedish_J-32_Lanssen_II.jpg

While they were drying, I assembled the wings:

WIP_Swedish_J-32_Lanssen_III.jpg

All that was left to do was to put everything together. But first I taped everything together to check and see if this plane needed nose weights:

WIP_Swedish_J-32_Lanssen_IV.jpg

It did. You can also see where the nose was going to give me a problem. No biggie.

I added the nose weight; cockpit, tail cone, tail 'feathers' and cemented everything together. Then I added the wings and canopy. This is now ready to sand, mask and paint:

WIP_Swedish_J-32_Lanssen_VI.jpg

Once again, there's more on the next post.....

And now the final continuation of this very long post.....

This final one is not a fixed wing aircraft, but it's an aircraft nonetheless. I started my Special Hobby AH-1G Marine Corp Cobra by looking in the box. The first thing I saw made me say out loud: "SERIOUSLY? I have to do WHAT?" Yes, I have to assemble the entire cockpit canopy piece by piece when the time comes:

WIP_Helicopter_SPAM_GB_I.jpg

Well moving on, I started; once again, with the cockpit. The first thing I had to do was to cut off the back part and replace it with the one shown in place right here:

WIP_Helicopter_SPAM_GB_IIa.jpg

Then I added all the control sticks and targeting equipment along with the instrument panels:

WIP_Helicopter_SPAM_GB_IIb.jpg

Afterwards, I added the armor plate and then painted this up:

WIP_Helicopter_SPAM_GB_IVc.jpg

The instructions said to apply the decals to the instrument panel faces but there were no instrument panel decals on the decal sheet! So, I painted them too:

WIP_Helicopter_SPAM_GB_IVd.jpg

After that, I assembled the seat and set them aside to dry. While they were drying, I assembled the tail section that my particular version was supposed to have:

WIP_Helicopter_SPAM_GB_III.jpg

I then went through and put all the weapon pod halves together:

WIP_Helicopter_SPAM_GB_IV.jpg

WIP_Helicopter_SPAM_GB_IVa.jpg

WIP_Helicopter_SPAM_GB_IVb.jpg

That's as far as I got so far on that. Hopefully this coming week I'll be able to get more done.

Okay, that completes my aircraft work. Now we can move on to my armor....

Starting with armor, I primed the Schturmtiger:

WIP_BS_GB_Shturmtiger_XI.jpg

Now I can shoot a better coat of paint over this and then camouflage it.

My next project was another simple one I wanted to do. I pulled out the Airfix RAF re-supply set to go with my USAAF re-supply set. I started with the Bedford truck doing the basic chassis and cab interior:

WIP_RAF_Airfield_Set_I.jpg

They give you an option to make the Bedford a tanker or a cargo truck. I opted for the tanker version and built the tank for it:

WIP_RAF_Airfield_Set_II.jpg

The tank is just dry-fit on there, but this is a neat little truck:

WIP_RAF_Airfield_Set_III.jpg

After that, I started on the Tilly. Three or four steps later, I had this:

WIP_RAF_Airfield_Set_IV.jpg

The rest of the cab parts for both trucks are molded in clear so I'll paint these as they are along with the clear parts separately.

Finally, my last model to show is this Roden Ludwig Areo bus that I started for another Group Build elsewhere.

I assembled the basic chassis and engine first:

WIP_OSM_Kickoff_GB_I.jpg

Since the engine wasn't going to be seen, I didn't do too much detail to it. What I did was enough to get it mounted on the chassis and also support any other parts that needed it for support. I also added the wheel hubs to the axles:

WIP_OSM_Kickoff_GB_VI.jpg

Later I cemented together the double wheels that go on the back axles:

WIP_OSM_Kickoff_GB_II.jpg

After that, I built the body of this bus and started to sand the seams that I found:

WIP_OSM_Kickoff_GB_III.jpg

Afterward I primed this bus to see what I had succeeded in doing. Not much apparently:

WIP_OSM_Kickoff_GB_IV.jpg

WIP_OSM_Kickoff_GB_V.jpg

Oh well, I just have to keep at it.

Meanwhile, I mounted the floor of the bus and the dashboard; then I added all the seats and controls:

WIP_OSM_Kickoff_GB_VII.jpg

WIP_OSM_Kickoff_GB_VIIa.jpg

Looks like I need to straighten a seat. That'll happen.

Okay, that completes this very long tour of Maddog Manufacturing, showcasing the latest in-progress work. I appreciate you stopping in to look it over. Comments are always welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here is my latest progress on what I've been working on this week. Once again, I'll start with my aircraft....

Working on these is tough. I just had to choose models that need white and bare metal to work on!

Here is the fuselage of the Boeing 737. I shot a couple layers of white on this and once again, it failed to lay down like it should:

WIP_Boeing_737_XIIIa.jpg

Believe me, it may look good in the pic, but there are a ton of small blemishes and issues all over this. When I tried to sand it and smooth it out, it got all dirty and blemished even more!

The wings turned out much better though when I shot some Tamiya Gloss Aluminum on them:

WIP_Boeing_737_XIIIb.jpg

Now if I can keep them that way until the model is finished I'll be thrilled. I'm not confident though, given my usual history with models like this *cough*C-118!*cough*

In that same vein, I also shot the white on the Jetstream fuselage as well. Once again, major issues all over:

WIP_USAF_Jetstream_XVa.jpg

Once again, the wings turned out quite well:

WIP_USAF_Jetstream_XVb.jpg

While those were drying, I took time to prepare more aircraft for primer and paint by masking off the canopies for all of them. First up is the two WWII aircraft; the P-40 and P-51:

WIP_Monogram_Mafia_2017_GB_VIII.jpg

Next I did my Swedish J-32 Lanssen:

WIP_Swedish_J-32_Lanssen_VII.jpg

Finally, I masked off the canopies on my two F-14 Tomcats:

WIP_F-14_Tomcats_SPAM_Review_XXV.jpg

Later I even added the canopy to the A-10 and masked it off:

A-10C_Thunderbolt_II_SPAM_Review_XIIa.jp

Next came the primer on all of them...

P-40:

WIP_Monogram_Mafia_2017_GB_IXb.jpg

P-51B:

WIP_Monogram_Mafia_2017_GB_IXa.jpg

J-32 Lanssen:

WIP_Swedish_J-32_Lanssen_VIII.jpg

F-14A Tomcat:

WIP_F-14_Tomcats_SPAM_Review_XXVb.jpg

F-14B Tomcat:

WIP_F-14_Tomcats_SPAM_Review_XXVa.jpg

Later on when I tried to improve the white on the Boeing and the Jetstream, I shot some white on the bottom of the F-14A:

WIP_F-14_Tomcats_SPAM_Review_XXVc.jpg

After that, I was done with aircraft.... fixed wing ones at least....

On my helicopter, I completed the cockpit and went to add the decals to the instrument panels as specified in the instruction sheet. Unfortunately, nobody told the instruction sheet writers that there are no decals for instrument panels on the decal sheet. So, I did a quick dry-brush with white:

WIP_Helicopter_SPAM_GB_IVe.jpg

After that, I closed everything up inside the fuselage and added a few other bits and bobs:

WIP_Helicopter_SPAM_GB_V.jpg

WIP_Helicopter_SPAM_GB_VI.jpg

Next up will be the challenge of assembling the canopy for this. I already dipped the parts in Future, so I should be able to get this done fairly soon.

That's all I got done on my aircraft for now. Now let's check in on my armor in the next post....

Continued from the above post....

After getting the T-80U from a friend, I took it home and got started on it the next day. First up was the turret:

WIP_Russian_T-80U_Tank_I.jpg

The brass gun barrel is only dry-fit. That will go in later. That was as far as I got on that so far. Since I had started it though, I also decided it was time to start my T-90 with the cast turret (I'd already completed the welded turret version some time ago) Again, I started with the turret:

WIP_Russian_T-90_Cast_I.jpg

I then added the few pieces to the upper hull:

WIP_Russian_T-90_Cast_II.jpg

You just gotta love the detail on these magnificent Modelcollect kits:

WIP_Russian_T-90_Cast_III.jpg

I later added the wheels to the lower hull. Since the lower hull is metal, I had to use Gator Grip Glue which holds them nicely:

WIP_Russian_T-90_Cast_IV.jpg

Again, I just had to get the 'glamour' shot:

WIP_Russian_T-90_Cast_V.jpg

After that, I shot some Krylon Plastic Primer on the lower hull and the turret:

WIP_Russian_T-90_Cast_VI.jpg

WIP_Russian_T-90_Cast_VII.jpg

I kinda jumped the gun here as I still need to do side skirts and other bits and bobs. Oh well, I'll get them done.

After that I tried to work on the Ludwig Areo bus again. I had sanded it and re-primed it with Mr. Surface 1000 to see what else needed to be done:

WIP_OSM_Kickoff_GB_VIII.jpg

WIP_OSM_Kickoff_GB_VIIIa.jpg

I still saw quite a bit wrong and so I re-filled some areas and re-sanded everything. Then I shot the Krylon Plastic Primer on it again since I had run out of the Mr. Surfacer spray. Much better I think:

WIP_OSM_Kickoff_GB_VIIIb.jpg

WIP_OSM_Kickoff_GB_VIIIc.jpg

Now to smooth this out and shoot some real color on this.

Okay, that completes this update for now. I hope to have more done soon. Stay tuned, more to come.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

• Like 1