Does your chapter have a Facebook presence?

rcboater

For those of you who have a club Facebook presence, did you set it up as a "Group" or a "Page"?

As I understand it, a Page increases your club's visibility, as it can be found by search engines, but there's no real security-- anyone can post a comment on it. If you set up as a Group, you can restrict both access and membership, at the expense of visibility.

Just looking for some feedback on what option you picked and why, and what your experience has been.....

We have a couple of them. One of our members set them up and administers them. They seem to really get the "word" out faster and better these days than emailed announcements that rely on others to pass along.

As for people posting unwanted comments or posts....hasn't been a problem to date.

GIL :smiley16:

We set ours as a group. Only certain members have the ability to post. However, just about anyone can comment.....which is sorta the same thing.

:Smile_sceptic:

• 1 month later...

We set ours as a group. Only certain members have the ability to post. However, just about anyone can comment.....which is sorta the same thing.

:Smile_sceptic:

Ditto with Marietta. It is a good tool for posting the newsletter for those too lazy to get it from their email...

Neither of the Chapters I belong to has a Facebook account. Nobody wants to be responsible for keeping it up. A number of our members do not even have a computer, so Facebook posts will not help them as a source of information.

Ed

Our club has two FB pages in addition to our web page. One is a public group run by one of our members, but you have to be a member to post. It is used for general comments on new tools etc plus reminders of upcoming meeting subjects, contest reports and general comments. The other is similar run by our treasurer. Since starting these FB accounts, much less is posted on the club web site.

Our club decided at our meeting yesterday, 12 March, to shutdown our web site and go with just a Facebook page. It'll save us about $200 a year. It's an open page so anyone can post but have had no problems with SPAM postings or anything like that.

• Like 1

We'll probably do the same thing, although I'll keep the website, albeit slimmed down, for the archived articles and things that were always a source of pride to the club. I just don't have the time/energy to keep it fresh & viable.

Problem is that going FB won't help recruiting as I don't see much activity/chat on it from our members. Time will tell.