Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mike Delano

TOS Style U.S.S. Kelvin (REDUX) - DONE!

Recommended Posts

Just another update to this - I finally have all the major assembly done and the base coat down. For the base this time, I used Floquil SP Lettering Gray. Additionally, I airbrushed the interior of the Bussard Collector Gunze Winde Red, then ainted the 'ribs' on the surface a flat black - this portion was masked (so you cant see it yet) prior to the base coat being applied. I think what I will do with the Bussard dome is paint the interior with Tamiya Clear Red...

 

I've also been doing work in Adobe Illustrator creating a sheet of Registry and naming decals so I can stay true to the project and use the 'Kelvin' name. I'll probably end up using LaserJet compatible decal sheet for this since I'm using a mix colored decals from JT Graphics and the Polar Lights sheet.

 

I imagine at this point the next step will be a couple of coats of future and some more fine sanding to get out as many of the imperfectiosn in the paint as possible and smooth out the edge of the saucer...

 

DSC_3287.jpg

 

DSC_3288.jpg

 

DSC_3289.jpg

 

DSC_3290.jpg

 

DSC_3291.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been working a little more on the decals for this project and actually put together a sheet of kitbashing decals.... Designed in Adobe Illustrator CS4 - when printed, they will be on a standard 8.5 X 11 sheet with half inch margins all around....

 

DecalSheet.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Believe it or not, this project is still making progress. I haven't been spending as much time working on it since work has been fairly busy. I got the final base coat on and now I'm ready to spray the find end of the secondary hull from which the deflector dish protrudes.... I have that masked off and ready to paint. The next step will be a few more details and a Future topcoat. I have the decals ready, now it's just a matter of getting them printed on quality paper with quality ink..

 

DSC_3537.jpg

 

DSC_3538.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, in the half or so hour since the last post, I got the deflector painting done - for this I used Alclad II 'Pale Burnt Metal'.... I'll have to do a little bit of touch up on the bottom of the deflector as the curvature of it made it a bit difficult to get into with the airbrush.

 

DSC_3540.jpg

 

DSC_3542.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time for the Friday night update....

 

I've moved on to the Bussard collector (the dome on the front of the nacelle)....

 

I started by masking of the dome portion of the part and then painting the inside with a highly thinned mix of Gunze Wine Red. Once that had set in enough, I cut out a cricle of tape and taped off the rear of the dome so I could paint the exterior of the collector without getting any inside the dome (I didnt want to darken it from the inside). With that portion masked off, I painted the entire thing with Floquil Light Lark Gray. Once that was dried, I masked off the 3 ribs and painted the remaining assembly with Floquil Lettering Gray

 

DSC_3546.jpg

 

DSC_3550.jpg

 

DSC_3570.jpg

 

DSC_3572.jpg

 

DSC_3574.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't gotten too much more done this week, but I did get the name and registry taken care of - these are decals from PNT Models - they're quite nice - much easier to handle than the JTGraphics decals, though they are not as 'sharp'.

 

DSC_3686.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'm almost done (Finally!) - I got a little bit more decal work done this afternoon - still a few more decals to go and some touch up work - once that's done, I'll get the bussard collector and deflector dish assembly attached and I'll give it a once over with another coat of Future followed by a dullcoat. I'll be glad once this thing is done...

 

DSC_3687.jpg

 

DSC_3688.jpg

 

DSC_3689.jpg

 

DSC_3690.jpg

 

DSC_3691.jpg

 

DSC_3692.jpg

 

DSC_3693.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lest we forget, you are verifying the old addage, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." You are entitled to be relieved when this second go at the ship (and the first one was near completion when you scrapped it) is over and done. The hull code on the saucer and elsewhere should have "-A" included. :smiley2:

 

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm finally done with it - got the last dullcoat applied today and ready to go to the shelf....

 

DSC_3721.jpg

 

DSC_3722.jpg

 

DSC_3724.jpg

 

DSC_3725.jpg

 

DSC_3732.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VERY nice! Beautiful work, Mike!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Veeeeeeeeery nice! Like the TOS influence. Well done, sir!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work Mike & Congratz on finishing up the project! (for the second time!) :smiley16:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys - believe it or not, I think I'm going to try this project a 3rd time - I'm not entirely happy with it and since I'm a neurotic perfectionist (so the wife says) and I still have about 3 of these 1/1000 polar lights kits in the closet, I'll give it another shot. Additionally, I've created my custom decal sets, so I believe I'll use those this next go round. I wont bore everyone with the drag out build progress this time, though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...