Member's Gallery Plug

Mark Aldrich

Gentlemen,

I know some of you don't peruse the gallery often or at all. I am hoping this post will change that. We have a Member's gallery and (nothing against him OR his builds) it has basically been ONE modeler sending in his builds. This gallery is the first thumbnail on the gallery webpage and WE really need to increase the number of participants. Those of you that are building and photographing your builds to post in the forum have already gotten over half of what I need to fill the gallery pictures. It is REALLY simple......

3-4 pictures (this is a minimum requirement). Each page can handle 15 pictures. (I would like the model to be completed but showing in progress work is also great)!

Identify the scale, model and manufacturer (again....These are minimums). You can write to your hearts content (I would suggest nothing longer than a paragraph though [people's attention span and such]).

Send to tacomaipms@Comcast.net and I'll get them posted!!!

Gallery Link

http://www.ipmsusa3.org/gallery/main.php

Member's Gallery Link

http://www.ipmsusa3.org/gallery/v/members/

:Smile_sceptic:

Mark.....why not simply "poach" the work posted here?

The only problem I have with contributing THERE is that it's already too dead HERE. I'd like to see more people active and posting their work here, and then those builds could be posted there by an administrator.

GIL :smiley16:

In a way I can see Gil's point. Speaking for myself personally; I find it hard to use that Gallery. I tend to work on several models at a time over several days so when I post pics here I tend to post anywhere from 15 to 35 pics per post. (This Forums won't let me post more than 25 as it is, so sometimes I have to break up my post into two.) Concerning this Gallery though; I use one on another Forums because I can simply upload all my pics straight to their Gallery and hotlink them all over. If I were to try and upload all my pics to this one using your system, both you and I would be sitting in front of the PC forever. I would be spending more time since I'd have to do everything you mentioned. Believe me, when the LEM went down taking their Gallery with it; I wanted to use this one as my 'base' to upload all my pics and thus "advertise" the IPMS when posting my pics elsewhere. Since I'm unable to do that here, I went with another Forums that allows me to.

When I think about it; if this site and this organization are "by modelers for modelers"; why can't the Gallery be for us too? To my way of thinking, one extra benefit of membership is that members can upload pics to their own Gallery to show their work. I'm guessing that the programming for that would be a bit hard to do to restrict posting to only IPMS members.

I plan on taking some very large pictures of a collection of small scale vehicles in February that will need to be huge to see enough detail in them. I would love to post them here but they would not meet your requirements. They need to be huge because these pictures will be showing a collection of 700 completed 1/72 scale vehicles. If only it were possible to post something here and even be able to be hotlinked to other places; that would really bring people to this site I would think.

In closing I would like to thank you Mark for maintaining and adding to the Gallery. I do stop in from time to time to see some things; particularly other shows and meetings and your work on this is most appreciated by me. Thank you very much.

• Like 1

Gil,

I know this may sound lame.....But why should I have to do all the work? You are correct. I COULD do exactly what you said and I will consider doing just that.

Mark,

I think part of the issue with not allowing ANYONE to post pictures to the gallery, is the big brother factor. We ( as IPMS/USA) seem to care about the type of pictures that can be posted (nudity/poor taste) and that would be my guess why not everyone is allowed to post to the gallery to their hearts content.

Gil,

I know this may sound lame.....But why should I have to do all the work? You are correct. I COULD do exactly what you said and I will consider doing just that.

Mark,

I think part of the issue with not allowing ANYONE to post pictures to the gallery, is the big brother factor. We ( as IPMS/USA) seem to care about the type of pictures that can be posted (nudity/poor taste) and that would be my guess why not everyone is allowed to post to the gallery to their hearts content.

What Gil said. Please forgive my ignorance of website machinations, but is it really that hard to copy a Photobucket link into the 'Members' Gallery?' If so, might there be an easier way to do it, as a 'Best Of' the Forums...? Either way, you retain editorial control over the "type of pictures" in the Member Gallery.

I vote for poaching!

Big%20Game_zpsw8ecuext.jpg

Yeah Mark...I get your point and it is an excellent one! You, and the others who volunteer here don't need more piled on your plate.

So, perhaps approach it another way....there are TWO problems with the Member's Gallery

1) It's buried on the IPMSUSA site! You won't find it unless you stumble over it or know where to look

2) It has NO direct link here, meaning there's no reason to think of it as a part of displaying pics of your models.

I would put it to you that IPMSUSA is trying to have its cake and eat it too....the IPMSUSA website should be specifically for member INFO and communication with the Eboard; why try to have model pictures, airshow pics, and other member pics displayed there? THAT is what belongs HERE!

I understand the need to control posts and the concerns you expressed about allowing just "anyone" to post pics. But, then isn't that pretty much what we have here, and I'm not aware of any problems, especially of the type you mentioned.

As I stated above, this site is under used and not nearly as active as it could be. Trying to bolster participation on another competing site (which is what the Gallery on the IPMSUSA page would become) will only serve to confuse and water down participation here.

Perhaps IPMS could look at moving the Galleries to here and try to add one more admin person whose sole duty is to transfer pics from what we post to it, IF you want the Galleries to be continued.

However, I'd simply make them a part of here, and give them a chance to grow with "free" posting (as it is here now), until a problem rears its head.

GIL :smiley16:

Mark,

That is understandable, but as Gil mentioned, the same concerns are addressed on the Forums and so far there have been no issues to date. The Galleries would be no different. Many of the other Forum Galleries I have used have been the same.

Gil also brought up another good point about them being 'buried' elsewhere. Out of sight...out of mind. If the Galleries were more 'user friendly' and accessible, participation in them might just pick up. I don't recall specifically, but I do believe that I brought this up when the LEM went dark when I was searching for a new Galleries to upload all my pics to. It's been a long while though so I'm not that sure.

Anyway, hopefully a solution comes up soon that all can live with.

If the Galleries were more 'user friendly' and accessible, participation in them might just pick up.

Hmmm...methinks our site's traffic might improve if we parlayed some of the magnificent eye-candy from the forums, front and center: The variety of subjects and ongoing activity as a tease and a welcome to all comers. Not just completed models & composed shots, but include some compelling in-progress shots, too. For example: The paint work on Pedro/CatDude's M4 Sherman still blows me away. World class click-bait!

Hence, in lieu of the currently buried Members Gallery page, an editor-selected 'Best Of the Forums' file, that continuously scrolls across the IPMS-USA main page, linked only to their corresponding forum threads for more info. The IPMS/UK's USAF SIG site does something like this, pix not linked to anything.

Just some free-thinkin' here. Again, I don't really know how difficult it would be, for the website crew. If there is an EASY button, use it.