Have You Guys Ever Used This Spray Chrome ?

schooner

Hey Guys (Newbie Here)

I just ran across this video on Youtube.

Tell me please if you ever used this spray chrome stuff ?

It looks GREAT. However, will it work on our models ?

post-3123-0-64234600-1482998413_thumb.jpg

I've never used that stuff before.....but nice babe! :smiley20:

I'm not aware of a good chrome that can be applied with a spray can and have it actually look like chrome. That doesn't mean there's not something available; just that I haven't seen anything that easy and simple that gave that result.

The best chrome, in my own personal experience is ALclad Chrome, which must be applied with an airbrush. It HAS to be used with a BLACK ENAMEL base coat! When applied properly, it looks like chrome, and looks better than the plated chrome parts in car kits (looks more to realistic scale)

1) Get a VERY smooth finish on the part by sanding and polishing. Removing paint or chrome plating is NOT necessary!

2) Spray on a coat of black ENAMEL gloss paint (will not work with acrylic!). Let it dry at least 24hrs.

3) MIST on a coat or two of Alclad Chrome and it magically shines right up; drying hard in 30mins or less. Do not apply it in a heavy, wet coat or your result will not be as shiny. Simply mist it on until it looks the way you want.

Hope this helps.

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

This is obviously an info-mercial for an industrial level chroming process. It would appear that to do it yourself, you would need to invest a few hundred thousand dollars in a commercial facility-not to mention the spray equipment and the legal wranglings with the Environmental Protecton Agency and OSHA. Probably more than one would want to invest in a 1/72 P-51 no matter how good they look in natural metal! I suppose you could bring the model to one of their facilities, but even then the set-up costs and materials would still likely be prohibitive. Gil's solution seems to be the more attractive one- the lack of the nice babe notwithstanding. Nick Filippone

This is the "Cosmostrator" from an old 1950s sci-fi film The First Space Ship on Venus. The kit is by Pegasus, and every square millimeter had to be painted chrome. I used the method described by Gil above with Alclad Black Base and Alclad II Chrome applied with my Iwata airbrush. Get some good products like these for your P-51 ( Alclad Aluminum, Matte aluminum, Duraluminum, etc) and use your new airbrush. Also, get a bottle of Alclad Airbrush Cleaner to get the residual Alclad out of your airbrush before it dries.

Ed

DSC03527_zpsvhpml12j.jpg

• Like 1

If this is your first build, I'd advise you to keep it simple. That and remember, P-51's were generally not highly polished metal, they were painted silver. Can you imagine the hard pressed ground crews in the middle of a Northern European winter trying to polish all those airplanes never mind keep them flying?

• Like 1