What Is The Steps Building My Model Airplane ?

schooner

Hi Gang (Newbie Here)

I'm coming close to start building my first 1/72

P-51 Mustang.

Here what I've done as of:

Dec.27th '16

1.Washed all parts.

2.Poured PLEDGE over the canopy & let it dry 24hrs.

Now if you will guys tell me what the procedure is next in line.

Question: Do I now paint the pilot,seat & cock pit put decal on instrument panel ?

I'm in your hands guys 2 guide my thru so I can use these steps for further builds.

THANK YOU ALL 4 helping this new guy in the past and hopefully in the future.

Ray 😎

IPMS#50943

I'd suggest starting by reading the kit instructions and studying them thoroughly, then following them. It should be obvious what should be done first. Use a marker or pen to mark through the part numbers as you install them. That'll help you remember what you've done as well as help you build in a logical sequence. For example, you can't glue the fuselage halves together and glue the canopy on then expect to install the cockpit. It's not rocket science.

There's no right way to build a model. There are plenty of wrong ways to do it though. The only way to know is to jump right in with both feet and remember that your first one probably isn't going to be a masterpiece. You're going to make mistakes...you're going to get frustrated at times and want to give up. Don't give up though. Press on...figure out what you did wrong...pursue that model to completion, and then apply what you learned to the next one. You're going to find what works for you and what doesn't along the way, and your models will get better and better. That's what makes this hobby so much fun. You're constantly tweaking techniques, trying new ones, trying new tools and new products. It never gets old, and there's no right way to do it.

Eagle

The advice above is good. In general it's best to follow the instructions, especially until you build some experience. Look at them closely to be sure you understand each step.

Pay attention to any special steps like needing to drill holes for ordnance before cementing things together.

Also, many kits allow for building more than one variant which means choosing the proper parts for the exact variant you're building. Use a highlighter to color those specific part numbers on the instruction sheet so they stand out from the ones you don't need to use.

One area where you may want to depart from following the instructions is were it tells you to add things that "hang out in the way", such as landing gear, antennas, etc.. Often, the instructions ask you to add these items too early in the build, which increases the chances they'll be broken off and also makes it much tougher to mask the model when painting it. Check to see if these items can be glued in place easily at a later time, usually after almost all the painting and decalling is done.

Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16: