Can I Use This Thinner Istead Of Testor's Thinner ?

schooner

Hi Gang (Newbie Here) :smiley5:

Testors Paint Thinner Bottle quaintly is so small and kinda pricey can I use this instead ?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-pt-Paint-Thinner-PA12779/203713853

Thanks Guys :smiley2:

post-3123-0-66059900-1482716489_thumb.jpg

It says it's mineral spirits, so the answer is a qualified yes..... I use lacquer thinner for Testors and Model Master enamels. However, when in doubt, the manufacturer's thinner is always the safest thinner to use. And lastly, If you add the thinner to a separate container when mixing it to use and NOT to the original bottle, you should be ok in the short run. Hope this helps!

Gil :smiley16:

• Like 1

Gil and I are usually on the same page, but not quite this time. Testers paint reacts poorly to just about anything other than their own thinner. It will be fine when you use it, but any left over will congeal into a jelly like goo over time. Plus, it doesn't thin as well. You'll see larger grained pigment in more dilute solutions, so it's no good for washes. I don't know the chemistry, but this is my experience.

You can get larger containers of their thinner. There is an 8 oz. can available. I know it's expensive, but you only have to use it to actually thin the paint, so it will last a while. You can use your mineral spirits to clean up and that will make it last just that much longer.

Also note that the stuff from homedepot is not billed as being mineral spirits, rather it's MADE with mineral spirits as one of its ingredients. I have no idea how that stuff would react with Testers. You can also get imitation mineral spirits, but I know those don't work 'cause I've tried them.

I switched a while back to Tester's thinner and found a big difference in how the paint behaves. Won't use anything else now.

I use lacquer thinner for all of my enamels and work great plus it helps it dry quicker. (Plus it can clean everything) When I used X-TraColour, I used MIneral Spirits as suggested and that worked on Testors as well. But in order to save just a bit of money, I just went with the lacquer thinner.

I too use lacquer thinner to thin paint to that I can spray it. I also use it to clean the brush. I do NOT use it to thin paint in the bottles. Like Ron side, that causes them to turn into a congealed mess. I have a pint of Testors thinner to thin paint in bottles. HTH

Add me to the lacquer thinner group. I use it for Testors, Xtracolor AND Tamiya acrylics and cleaning the brush. Works great for all but DO NOT add the used paint back tot he containers- especially Testors and Tamiya. They will goo up like Ron said. I buy a gallon at a time from Home Depot.

And, if you have any doubt, try it on a scrap piece first rather than a prepared kit. Will save a lot of hassles

Dave

Dave,

You're a paint guy. What's the difference between real lacquer thinner and "imitation" lacquer thinner that you see in home centers? I don't think the imitation has the same odor, but that can't be the only difference.

Ron, lacquer thinner is really a generic term for a diverse mix of chemicals. There is a huge difference between automotive thinner and the crap you buy at Home Depot. Here is an article l that tells you the difference and will make you much more knowledgeable on the subject. http://news.thefinishingstore.com/index.php/understanding-solvents-part-iii-laquer-thinner/