Avenger

Glynyrd

Hi,

This is my latest project, still some work to do, of an AM 1/48 Avenger. This particular aircraft is one a deacon in my church, a WW2 era naval aviator, actually flew. He showed me a picture of him flying it in formation with a couple of other TBM's, and had their names written on the back of the picture. He was plane #12. I had given him a Dauntless model a couple of years back, and he still has it, and talking one day, he mentioned he would like to have a replica of one of the Avengers that he flew. No need to ask twice! I hope to have it to him by Independence Day. He couldn't recall much about the unit, he was in several, but the tail code looks like VU-7. Let me know if it's otherwise.

Glenn

IMG_1252.jpg

Outstanding! I had the opportunity to do a B-24 for a retired pastor in our church, who flew them in the MTO. Neat guy, cool (hairy) flying stories, rewarding build!

Thanks for sharing! I always get more out of my modeling when I have some "history" to go along with it.

For me half of the fun of modeling is the excuse to buy books for reference sources. Sometimes that process reverses in that I read a book and get inspired to built one of the subjects in it. Built a Spitfire for a guy whos brother was KIA in North Africa in 1942. He had a photo of his brother and he in front of the plane when they met there during the war. It was a very touching moment when I gave it to him. Historical context really does make them more than models.

The Avenger looks super! It's always great to build something for our veterans. In the end, even when they ooph and aaah over it, you still don't feel like you've done enough for them and their service to us! Congrats, I know he'll love it!

GIL :smiley16:

Very nice--good on ya!

I build a few airplanes (Tamiya F4U-1, AM TBM-3 and AM SBD-5, all 1/48 scale) for my uncle (a Mud Marine veteran of Okinawa), and he treasures them--he won't let anyone else dust them. Good feeling to have, knowing you've made someone's day.

Ralph

• 1 month later...

Yes it is great to hand something like that to the people that did their best to help defend freedom and stay alive at the same time.

I have built an 8 inch howitzer (1/35 scale AFV Club) that I plan to present to the VFW post that my Dad belonged to. He passed on in '94 before I could get back into modeling and find the model. Someday I would like to present one to the remainder of the FAB he was in, at one of their reunions.