1:24 New Horizons

Roktman

This is a relatively new kit from Real Space Models, and depicts the craft that just had it's flyby of Pluto.
Looking over the parts they are for the most part pretty good. A few bubbles here and there, but nothing to worry about. A little Vallejo Plastic Putty and they were gone. I didn't count the parts but each experiment was it's own part (SWAP and Ralph had 2). The HGA was the main dish, a medium gain antenna. 3 wire supports, and then the lo gain antenna on the end of 3 more wires were all separate. Then there's the bus. The only little negative I would say would be the pour plus were pretty thick in comparison to the part. The "wings" of SWAP took me nearly an hour to get off the pour plug with breaking it.

This is where I am now -

004.JPG

All the parts off the pour plugs and primed

After a while I get tired of wrapping the parts in foil, so I started attaching them to the bus -

006.JPG

More later.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Slow going on this one, but progress is being made.

I first attached Alice and Ralph -

007.JPG

Next on the list was to separate the attitude adjustment rockets from the pour plug -

008.JPG

Once they were all cut, it was time for clean up. Some were a little worse than the others. But with the sanding sponges that came with my latest SAMI magazine (Thanks!) they were all done in about a 1/2 hour. After that I tempted fate and redrilled the openings at the end of the nozzles. They all drilled nicely except I goofed up the last two... :-/ ) The instructions say they were silver so I gave them the old gloss black primer coat before hitting them in Vallejo Metallics Aluminum.

While I had my little saw out, I cut the base of the kit RTG and transferred it to the Shapeways part -

009.JPG

Looking at the picture it seems to me there's an extra part in there. I think the round radiators should be right up against the RTG and not have that section in between. I'll have to double check that.

Finally for this session I primed the RTG in Stynylrez black primer, it's a little thicker and covers in one coat. and I foiled the ring attachment for the launch vehicle (I forget what it's really called). It also doubles as another low gain antenna. That part is yet to be foiled, as you can see it as the little yellow part -

010.JPG

To finish off this WIP session. I gathered the courage to clip off the extra foil binding I installed and glued the struts onto the HGA -

005%2B%25282%2529.JPG

More soon. Thanks for looking.

Edited by Roktman

Great stuff here. Gotta remember to put Shapeways on the radar for various projects.

Thanks.

Re: Shapeways I've learned you need to order whatever part you want in the best configuration - ultra fine detail (or whatever they are calling it now) to not have the obvious grow lines. It's more $$ but to me it's worth it not to have to spend all that extra time sanding the lines away.

I saw a recent tutorial on YouTube where the guy uses acetone vapors to "melt" the lines away from a part grown with abs. But until I try it, or see someone else besides the guy on the vid try it, I wouldn't recommend putting an expensive piece in with the acetone.

• Like 1

Great stuff here. Gotta remember to put Shapeways on the radar for various projects.

Thanks.

Re: Shapeways I've learned you need to order whatever part you want in the best configuration - ultra fine detail (or whatever they are calling it now) to not have the obvious grow lines. It's more $$ but to me it's worth it not to have to spend all that extra time sanding the lines away.

I saw a recent tutorial on YouTube where the guy uses acetone vapors to "melt" the lines away from a part grown with abs. But until I try it, or see someone else besides the guy on the vid try it, I wouldn't recommend putting an expensive piece in with the acetone.

I have those Shapeways parts as well, and although it's been a while since I looked at them (and the kit), I don't recall seeing any lines in the parts.

This is a great tutorial on building that kit. I'll be following further progress with interest.

HI,

No there are none. I think Mr. Brotherton set it for "ultra high" or the like. I only buy the highest version anyway, I don't even look at the others, so I really don't remember. I actually had the parts before I got the model. :smiley9:

I guess I should have been clearer.

For ppl that don't frequent SWays, they'll see a part for "$10" and a version of the same part for "$3" and may go the inexpensive route. It's the inexpensive route that gets you the lines.

Sorry for the confusion.

Assuming you've used the others, how would you say the Badger Stynylrez compares to the Vallejo black primer or Mr Surfacer 1500 black?

--David

I've never used the Mr. Surfacer 1500. But the Stynylrez and Vallejo are very similar except the Vallejo needs at least 24 hrs to "cure" or harden up. where Stynylrez is ready to go sooner. But I switch back and forth between them all the time.

Edited by Roktman
  • Like 1

This is great intell on Shapeways. I've cruised the site, gawking at all of the cool stuff, not understanding the option for 'ultra-fine'. They all look great as 3D renderings, but the prospect of having to sand off the layering effect from numerous/tiny/detailed parts has kept me from pulling the trigger. Garth Connolly showed a couple of SW 1/72 sailors on a PT boat model on the 'Ships' forum and they do look pretty sharp.

DUMB QUESTION: Do the SW vendors offer this option under 'Choose a Material'? I've been scoping a set of 3" guns for the Revell Buckley DE and the options offered are 'Ultra Detail' for $8.77 and 'Extreme Detail' for $9.32, differentiated only by the price.

Edited by VonL

This is great intell on Shapeways. I've cruised the site, gawking at all of the cool stuff, not understanding the option for 'ultra-fine'. They all look great as 3D renderings, but the prospect of having to sand off the layering effect from numerous/tiny/detailed parts has kept me from pulling the trigger. Garth Connolly showed a couple of SW 1/72 sailors on a PT boat model on the 'Ships' forum and they do look pretty sharp.

DUMB QUESTION: Do the SW vendors offer this option under 'Choose a Material'? I've been scoping a set of 3" guns for the Revell Buckley DE and the options offered are 'Ultra Detail' for $8.77 and 'Extreme Detail' for $9.32, differentiated only by the price.

I can only think that the Extreme Detail has a higher level of detail, but really these 2 categories are their top level. It depends on where the part would be in the model. I think for the sake of 55¢, it would be worth it to me, if the part was going be front and center.

• Like 1