What Do Most Modelers Paint With ?

schooner

Hi Guys (Newbie Here)

I was just reading about this kind of airbrush paint and that kind of airbrush paint and really got CONFUSED what else is new . . . lol

Seriously guy 's I think that Com-Art Paint seems to be pretty good paint to use being its acrylic and you don't have to use a thinner. You tell this Newbie what you guys think.

I'll be mostly using my new IWATA airbrush to paint fighter aircraft(s)

Thank you guys for your patience with this new comer.

Happy Holidays to you and yours

GOD bless

post-3123-0-93851000-1481925210_thumb.jpg

Hi Ray

I use several paint brands, mostly acrylic, shot through an airbrush. I prefer badger primer, but the colors I have on hand dictates the brand of paint. I had never heard of com-ART, but after reading a review or two, I plan to try some.

Happy holidays to you.

Chuck

Hey Chuck

Thanks 4 your sharing. From what I read about COM-ART paints is you don't have to use thinners. Can use right out of the bottle (s)

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

I use an Iwata CR, I think (it's been so long since looking at the name) . For details Believe it or not I have a small set of brushes from WAMP. They look like cheap-o brushes but they are great. To round things off I have a number of sizes of W&N Series 7 brushes.

For paint I've gone over to the darkside and use Vallejo almost exclusively. I do have some Citadel colors (red and yellow) as they cover better. I also use the Citadel washes. They are miracles. ;)

For primers I use Vallejo or Stynylrez. The down side of the Vallejop primers is they need to cure at least 24 hours or you can peel it up by just rubbing it up with a finger. The Stynylrez is awesome stuff.

Hi Ray

I use several paint brands, mostly acrylic, shot through an airbrush. I prefer badger primer, but the colors I have on hand dictates the brand of paint. I had never heard of com-ART, but after reading a review or two, I plan to try some.

Happy holidays to you.

Chuck

Chuck

Thanks 4 your reply. Yes take a look @ COM-ART I also haven't use it YET. As a newbie to airbrushing I'm testing all the waters before I drive in . . . lol

Happy Holidays to you and yours

I use enamel paints for most of my work. The reason is that I have a vast collection of different colors and am too cheap to pitch them all to buy anything else. Also, I tried some acrylics when they first came out and had lots of problems. Enamel is easy to spray and I thin it with lacquer thinner.

I use flat acrylic as a final top coat usually.

Clare is a man after my own heart... I've got several hundred bottles of Model Master enamels and I hoard old Floquil Military paints like a miser. I also use lacquer thinner most of the time. I have a few bottles of acrylic I use for some applications where I need the different combinations to avoid one paint attacking the other. I'm a Badger guy, currently using the Krome model to good effect, powered by several CO2 bottles.

Thank you my good man for your experience. I definitely will look into that paint.

THANK YOU

Ray M.

IPMS#50934

Schooner,

I use all different kinds of paint when airbrushing, but I prefer to stay with enamels as much as possible. I live in Colorado, which is a high-altitude, dry climate, and acrylics give me a lot more problems with drying in the airbrush needle if I'm doing complex, precise work that requires frequent, long pauses to make sure I'm placing paint in the right locations. Lately I've switched from using mineral spirit-based thinners to using lacquer thinner, and I add a drop of Valspar enamel hardener. That combo has given me really good results, quick dry time (but not so quick that it constantly clogs my needle), and the hardener makes it so I don't "burn in" to the paint when I have to really grip a painted part. The "burn in" was really frustrating, because the heat from my fingers would soften the paint just enough to leave fingerprints. Using the hardener seems to have fixed that. The only drawback to using the hardener is you have to pitch the unused paint left in your airbrush.

Merry Christmas! (Heh...on-call today. Always gotta keep the planes flying.)