Good F-100 Super Saber kit?

RGronovius

I imagine in either 1/72 scale or 1/48 scale as I'm not sure how big the aircraft is. I seem to remember a Monogram one from my childhood, late 70s or so. I wouldn't need the best or most accurate, but just a good model kit.

Just a few minutes ago I happened to open a box of models that had a 1/72 F-100D from Minicraft/Hasegawa #1035. That one was boxed in 1979, but its a much older kit so might be "good" for a quick build.

--David

Edited by dmjung

A 1/48 Super Saber is about a foot long and just a little less than that in wingspan. A 1/72 scale F-100 will be about 8" long and wide (2/3 the size of the 1/48 one).

There are mainly 2 "good" F-100 kits in 1/48...

Trumpeter makes the F-100C (earlier variant, single seat, straight trailing edge wing), the F-100D (most produced variant, kinked rear edge wing, single seat), and the F-100F (two seater used as early wild Weasel and FAC plane in 'Nam). These have good detail, are relatively straight forward builds, and have indented panel lines and rivets (if that matters to you). They typically run from $35-$50, depending on the source you buy from (on line, vendor at a show, hobby shop)

The older Monogram Super Saber is still a good kit too, and cheaper than the Trumpeter kits, However, it has more fit issues requiring more work to get a seamless looking model. It also has raised panel lines instead of indented lines. It builds up very nicely with a little elbow grease and you get a lot of bang for your buck. You can usually pick up one of these anywhere from $10-$20.

Avoid the older Lindberg and ESCI 1/48 F-100s as they're poorly detailed and worse fitting than the two above.

The only 1/32 F-100 is by Trumpeter and a very nice kit. It'll be about 18" long and wide, but look really impressive on your shelf. It also costs a lot more (of course).

I can't recommend a 1/72 Super Saber, as I don't build in that scale, but there's probably many more of those by different makers and also a much wider variation in fit and quality over time between them all.

Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Rob,

Trumpeter makes a 1/72nd F-100D that is very nice. I've built one and it went together without any problems. Italeri also has a D and an F in 1/72nd.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Any single seat "D" or 2 seat "F" will fit the bill for 'Nam in the mid 60s. The earlier "C" models are more relevant to the late '50s up to Vietnam. You also have a choice in schemes as the very first ones sent over were NMF/painted silver; while the later ones were painted in the typical USAF SE Asia camouflage scheme. Most of the kits come with Vietnam era markings as at least one choice and there are many aftermarket sheets available for that also.

I built the ESCI F-100D. ESCI is no longer in business and I'm not sure if their molds have been used by other manufacturers. You should be able to find one cheap on e-bay or other locations. I built it a long time ago and don't remember any problems. Here is a photo. Great shape. Very fine panel lines.

F-100_D.JPG

Nice job, what's up with the colorful stripes? I'm familiar with Esci, I've built most of their tank kits and once upon a time, I bought a jet (F-5A?) that came with a vacuformed base along with a set of support crew and tractor with bomb cart.

Those colorful stripes are typical of USAF unit markings in the 1950s, though that one is gaudier because it belongs to a Wing Commander, the 3 different color stripes denoting the colors of the squadrons he commanded.

The silver planes that went to Vietnam were subdued by comparison. So, if you want a colorful F-100D, then you'll want to build one from the 50s and early 60s, and not Vietnam.

That is the cool thing about the Super Sabers... their markings evolved over time, giving you a wide choice of schemes and colors.

From our review section:

Trumpeter 1/32 F-100D

http://www.ipmsusa.org/reviews/Kits/Aircraft/trumpeter_32_f100d/trumpeter_32_f100d.htm

Trumpeter 1/48 F-100F

http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/f-100f-super-sabre

Some nice work on both

Dave