What PVA Glue Do I Use ?

schooner

Hi Gang (Newie Here)

I read somewhere that

I'm suppose to use a PVA glue on airplane canopies.

What's the reason for that ?

And what kind of PVA glue am I to use.

Thanks to ALL who has and is helping this new beginner :smiley5:

post-3123-0-66086300-1481129077_thumb.jpg

PVA glue = Poli Vinyl acetate based glues. White glues such as Elmer's or almost all other form. The advantage is that it dries slow, cleans up with water and doesn't fog clear plastic. The best glue in my opinion for this is Zap Formula 560. This is glue for R/C aircraft canopies. It was designed to be used in modeling and with clear parts. It gets tacky much quicker than other glues so you don't have to find a way to hold the part in place for a long time while it sets. It dries absolutely clear. You can clean up any smears with a Qtip wet with plain water. It also dissolves in water after it is dry, so if you need to clean up a part after a long time, you can still do that. It remains a little flexible. It also sticks to paint but not so hard that if you bump a part and it comes off, it generally doesn't take the paint with it. Auto builders love it for things like rear view mirrors which seem like they are always getting knocked off.

Ray,

I don't know if this has ben posted somewhere else on your threads, but you will want to squirt Future floor wax over the canopies then let dry. This should be done before you start any construction, that way the canopy has time to dry & cure. By appling Future to the canopy, it makes the canopy look clearer than before the application, it also protects the canopy from scratching and reduces the chance of fogging.

Tim

Ray,

I don't know if this has ben posted somewhere else on your threads, but you will want to squirt Future floor wax over the canopies then let dry. This should be done before you start any construction, that way the canopy has time to dry & cure. By appling Future to the canopy, it makes the canopy look clearer than before the application, it also protects the canopy from scratching and reduces the chance of fogging.

Tim

Ray, this is a good tip except you can't find Future floor wax anymore as such. It is now Pledge floor wax with Future shine. Most grocery stores don't carry it any more either so Home Depot is you best shot at finding it.

• 3 months later...

Ray,

Tim

Ray, this is a good tip except you can't find Future floor wax anymore as such. It is now Pledge floor wax with Future shine. Most grocery stores don't carry it any more either so Home Depot is you best shot at finding it.

It's not "Pledge with Future Shine" any longer, either. As of 15 March 2017, it's now "Pledge Floor Care Multi-Surface Finish" (until they change the name again).