F-111A info needed

GHonanie

Hey all,

I need some cockpit shots of the F-111A so I can do my Hasegawa aardvark, also anybody know what their usual load was back in Thailand? any info would help.

Hey all,

I need some cockpit shots of the F-111A so I can do my Hasegawa aardvark, also anybody know what their usual load was back in Thailand? any info would help.

Squadron In Action #1035 shows a Vark with 6 750lb bombs on a plyon MER under each wing on pg27. Pg 28 & 29 show 6 750lb bombs on MERs.

Pg32 shows 500lb slicks on MERs on both wing pylons with a ALQ-119

Pg33 shows 4 CBU-58 per MER on two plyons, another with a 2000lb Mk84 on each pylon, and a third with 6 500lb Mk82 Snakeyes one each plyon.

The narrative suggests the F-111A usually flew with a fuel cell in the bomb bay and perhaps a 20mm M61 instead for the Air-to-air mission. The F-111 could also carry two sidewinders internally or on the pylons if needed. Don't know about Sparrows.

HTH,

James

Hey all,

I'm not sure about all the jets but the first blocks were a mixed bag; no two were exactly the same. Basic layout and most steam gages were but the side panel boxes were moved around a bit. My experience was with the early blocks, and they were far from a reliable airframe back then. :smiley30:

As to your question of load out, that would be based on mission. That’s why in the Squadron books or other sources you see so many variations. Jcorley gave you some good ones to work from. Here is a link that might help too.

http://www.f-111.net/F-111A/F-111A-in-SEA.htm

And the cockpit from the USAF museum is on this site.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet_media.asp?fsID=321

Phantoms rule…….. :smiley31:

Thanks guys, I think i have something to start with now. Looks to me two ecm pods center belly, and a bunch of bombs.

Gill, check out the Prime Portal website for lots of good detail shots:

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spi...f-111a_67-0051/

Cheers!

Robert Beach

Gilbert,

If it was carrying two ECM pods, they were ALQ-87s. One on the centerline and one between the strakes. They were _usually_ painted black. Didn't see ALQ-119s on them very often.

Steve

I've seen them in Dana Bells book Air war over Vietnam, the ones he has pictures are painted white, but I have seen ones in black. Thanks for your help. see you on sunday.

• 11 months later...
Gilbert,

If it was carrying two ECM pods, they were ALQ-87s. One on the centerline and one between the strakes. They were _usually_ painted black. Didn't see ALQ-119s on them very often.

Steve

I've seen more than 1 picture that the ECM pods were all white; Squadron "In Action" of the 111 confirms this & other pictures as well.

John M.