72 Sassy Grass Olds ....FINISHED....12-17-16

GaryDavis

Well...it's been quite sometime since I've built a street car. So...while watching the movie "PLAY IT TO THE BONE" staring...Antonio Banderas, Woody Harrelson, Lolita Davidovich as the three MAIN characters in the movie. The car in the movie belonged to Lolita and she drove the two guys to Vegas for an undercard fight( washed up pro-boxers). This car got my attention as the long shots really made that car look and sound good. Sooo...I thought it would be a kick to build this movie car.

I started this build a few months back using the Revell 72 Hurst Olds as the basses for the build. The interior is complete along with the chassis. Here are a few pics of that progress.....
THE 1/1 car for ref...
108219_Front_34_Web0-vi.jpg

108219_Side_Profile_Web0-vi.jpg

108219_Interior_Web0-vi.jpg

The finished interior...
P1030100-vi.jpg

P1030106-vi.jpg

The Chassis...
P1030124-vi.jpg

Grill and wheels are finished also...
P1030129-vi.jpg

P1030117-vi.jpg

Started the plumbing and wiring of the engine....
P1030104-vi.jpg

Forgot to add the body shots....Got the Green laid down and I want to tape off and do the black under hood and engine bay..that should be done soon...Hopefully... LOL

P1030114-vi.jpg

P1030113-vi.jpg

P1030115-vi.jpg
Thanks for looking in folks.

Edited by GaryDavis
  • Like 1

Hi, Gary,

I love essentially showroom stock cars. Your 1972 Oldsmobile 442 convertible is looking impressive already. The interior upholstery looks like real Naugahide (or whatever GM used back then. The woodgrain trim is also excellent. The chassis and wheels look great! I'm looking forward to seeing the body all trimmed out.

Ed

Magnificent work man! The interior notwithstanding; I envy you your ability to get a nice smooth paint coat so quickly and so well. It took me nine attempts to get my Monkeemobile to a sheen I could accept! Way to go man!

Thank you ED and Mark. Just got the plug wires finished. Now...Got to get to the body and finish that. The windshield frame has this padding type stuff that I have to add. I did strip all the chrome and used ALSA chrome and it sure stands up a lot longer than Alclad. It's spendy....but works pretty darn good. I'll tape off the frame and paint the padding on. That will be a good test for the chrome.

Here's an update...The finished interior is mocked up in place for a look. The engine bay was shot black this morning and seems to work with the firewall colors. As soon as the hood and engine bay completely dry...the decals will be added and maybe clear shot on the body. Here's a look at the body and interior mock up.....

P1030134-vi.jpg

P1030133-vi.jpg

P1030132-vi.jpg

As always....thanks for look'in in folks....

It is looking great Gary. Very well done. Love the color of the original and the model. I used to live in Brazil and my wife drove a car that color. We believed that it was safer because everyone could see her coming.

Thank you Clare...That color just jumps out at ya don't it? I'll bet it had everybody looking at you guys when roll'in down the road eh? Definitely can not miss that color....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliments Gil and Mark......

I've got this puppy finished. I didn't put plates on because I couldn't see them. I guess this will have to stay on ALL the back streets...away from the coppers!! :smiley16: .... :lol: Here's the "BAD TO THE BONE" Movie car....

P1030149-vi.jpg

P1030148-vi.jpg

P1030144-vi.jpg

P1030141-vi.jpg

P1030138-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking in on this "mini" wip folks...It was a kick to build....

Thank you Clare. I got the License plates on the car. Another builder on SA posted the plate Numbers for me. He blew up a few pics from a search. Got them on yesterday and that's the finishing touch.

That's a very pretty paint job and sweet build! wouldn't it be nice to haul your own 442 to the paint place, show them this model, and tell 'em "this is what I want"!? :smiley20:

Congrats! :smiley32:

GIL :smiley16:

That's a very pretty paint job and sweet build! wouldn't it be nice to haul your own 442 to the paint place, show them this model, and tell 'em "this is what I want"!? :smiley20:

Congrats! :smiley32:

GIL :smiley16:

Thank you Gil.....Yes that would be one easy way of showing a GOOD paint shop the idea a person had in mind. It would probably make it a whole lot easier for them too...

Hi, Gary,

You made me go out and purchase this kit. An early Christmas present that my wife doesn't yet know she is giving me. Now to put it in the queue for building in 2017(?). Merry Christmas!

Ed

Hi, Gary,

You made me go out and purchase this kit. An early Christmas present that my wife doesn't yet know she is giving me. Now to put it in the queue for building in 2017(?). Merry Christmas!

Ed

:lol: :lol: :lol: All righty then Ed. I think you'll like the kit. Revell did good on this one. Ya know...it's nice to know that our wives have our interests in mind at Christmas...whether they know it or NOT.... :lol: Merry Christmas