Replicating marble

TimDarrah

OK guys, I'm planning on doing a diorama based on a scene in the closeing minutes of "The Monument Men", where they are driving away in the Kubelwagen with a US trailer and a statue tied up in the trailer.

I have a statue on the way from Tiger Diorama Products and was wondering the best way to portray that resin bit as marble? I'm thinking of gloss white with a wash of "Camo Grey".

Think that would work or might you have a better idea?

Thanks,

Tim

Edited by TimDarrah

So you want to duplicate a marble? How about a grape or cherry painted grey. Perhaps a ball bearing out of a wheel from your vehicle? Oh wait..............not "a marble", but "marble".....never mind

I think given the "age" of the statue that gloss white might be a bit stark. Maybe an off white would be better and a full on gloss finish might be a bit strong in scale. Maybe a semi-gloss? Only highly polished marble is glossy and some statue that has been schlept around for all those years would probably be some what worse for the wear.

Tim,

What if you painted it like they do to make wooden items? Lay a wet coat of a real light gray and then comb in a darker color for the veining. I'm thinking of just a couple of swirls of color mixed into wet paint and then hit with a semi-gloss to tone it up or down for the finish.

Just a thought.

Bill

Dick,

I like my blue Cats Eye one & know that will beat your purple swirly anytime and anyplace :smiley4:

Ron & Bill,

Thanks for your suggestions. My thinking is that the statue was in a Church or Museum before it was stolen, so would have a higher scheen that your normal marble. But I'll try both of your suggestions to see what might look best for my application.

Thanks guys,

Tim

Timmy, I'm with Ron--even protected new marble still has an almost translucent, semi-gloss sheen to it. I'd use an off white and let it dry. Then I'd seal it with a gloss varnish (Future), let that dry, and use Payne's Grey oils to add the veining to it. Once you have it to your liking, let the oil paint dry and overcoat with semi-gloss clear.

Ralph

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with what others have said. The only thing I would add is it's better to have a shaky hand while doing the veining. And always remember to go in the same direction. This was my first shot at it a while ago -

006.JPG

Everyone, thanks for the ideas. I'll try them all out on a crappy figure before I do it for real on the statue.

Merry Christmas my friends.

Look at some statues from that period. Check the Pieta, or the Moses in St. Peter in Chains or any other contemporary subject. I think you'll find there is very little veining visible or if it is it's an off white vein in a white marble or visa versa. They selected the marble for just that reason. The veining would detract from their sculpting. In any event, reduced to 1/35 or less, the veining might not even be visible.