HASEGAWA MODELS ?

schooner

Hi Guys (Newbie)

Tell me if you will, of what do you guys think of HASEGAWA MODEL airplane kits ?

I'm just looking for your recommendations on a few good companies that you think are

pretty good.

I look forward to your experience and review. :smiley2:

Ray,

I've built a number of kits over the last (mumble) years, and I have to say that for general accuracy and detail, Hasegawa is pretty darned good. Other favorites in the "good kit" area are Tamiya (more expensive, but darned well worth it) and the older pre-Rrevell Merger Monogram kits. From Europe, you can't beat Eduard, but Italeri is right up there too.

Which is not to say that other manufacturers turn out junk, just that these are (IMHO) the ones that consistently do the best job.

I'll assume you're talking about 1/72, because that's what most of us build. 1/48 has more detail, is sometimes easier to work with, and costs more. Then there's 1/32, which I had to give up because of space limitations.

SO, the big decision is not always "who makes the best kit", but "who makes the kit of the plane I want to build, in the scale I want to build it in.

Go have some fun. Also remember something my frend George told me when I was just starting out,

"There's nothing you can screw up on a model that you can't fix."

Jim

Ray, when deciding on a model kit, the internet is your friend. I try to find reviews before I buy, starting on this site. Back in my aircraft days I add a lot of Monogram kits. I can't comment on Hasegawa. Gil or the Duke will probably comment on that for you.

Hasegawa, like all model kit manufacturers, has produced many fine kits. They've also made a few dogs, too. The best advice I have is to do a Google search or ask questions pertaining to a specific kit.

For instance, if you want to know about the Hasegawa 1/48 P-51D Mustang, my impression is that it is a fine kit, but the wheel wells are a bit shallow. It certainly builds quickly into a very nice model. The only competition right now that I know of would be Tamiya's kit, which is just a bit better on the fit, finish, and detail side of things...but you can't go wrong with the Hasegawa kit, either.

Ask about specific kits and people who have built them can comment.

Ralph

... and don't forget Academy. They are in-expensive and fairly nice kits. I love their 1/72nd P-51D, all you need to do is replace the exhausts.

Also the "new" Airfix kits are as well. Just be aware, they say if it's in a "Red Box" then it's a new mold. Nope, I bought their Fairey Battle and it's the old kit. Oh well, I'll still build it.

The tips above about using the internet to look for reviews for any specific kit you're interested in is the best advice! The reason is because you cannot tell how old a plastic mold is or whose molded parts might actually be in the box anymore!

There have been mergers and mold swaps that have led to other companies plastic parts being in a new company's box. Revell bought out Monogram a decade or two ago and so a LOT of the 1/48 Revell kits are actually Monogram kits; and some of those model's molds date back 50yrs, while others are only 10yrs old. Thus, depending on WHICH edition Revell 1/48 P-51D you buy, you might be buying a Monogram Mustang, or a Revell molded Mustang. Eduard is now famous for using someone else's plastic parts in a "special release" box of their's in order to add the detail parts they're famous for to that special release. The resin and pe detail parts are Eduard while the plastic parts are not. People here and on the internet can help you know the difference, and there can be a significant difference in the quality! While most (probably 70%) of kits ARE made by the name on the model box, you cannot take that for granted like you used to be able to.

Tamiya is (generally) considered the "gold" standard for fit and detailing. However, they still have tanks and airplanes that were molded in the 60s and 70s available in their line, and those are nowhere nearly as nice as the stuff they've put out the last 10yrs. Other companies have also vastly improved the last 10-20yrs; Eduard being chief among them. Their older stuff were "short run" kits, meaning they were cruder molds with fewer parts and very tough builds compared to regular kits. However, they are now right up there with everyone else, and some of their newest kits are the best of that type available.

Price is another significant factor. As mentioned above, the better kits and newer kits generally cost more money. What's your budget? How important is a model that builds easily and may be cheaper versus a model that has tons of detail and more parts and cost more? Sometimes older models in older boxes are cheaper than the same mold in a newer box, especially if you're buying "retail" (from a hobby shop). You'll have to balance cost versus quality, and the old saying "you get what you pay for" still applies.

As stated above, your question should be: "who makes the best model of this subject in this scale, and within this particular price range". Many of us can give you several options once you narrow your question to subject type, scale, and price range.

GIL :smiley16:

Gil made some very good points, as usual.

One thing you need to look for on some Tamiya kits, is if it says Italeri on the box. I know they released a 1/72nd F-18E in Japan that was the Italeri kit but with different decals. They also did that with the 1/35th SAS Jeep, NW Europe - that was the Italeri "Commando Car" with a Tamiya sprue of 2 figures & some accessories.

Speaking of reviews, IPMS has an excellent "Reviews" section linked to its website.

Go to the IPMS home page.

Pull down the IPMS USA/Website button

Select "Reviews"

Explore 1000's of reviewed items, all reviewed by IPMS members over the years.