1966 Ford Mustang Convertible ?

schooner

Hi Gang (Newbie Here)

I own a '66 Ford Mustang Convertible (see attachment please)

Do any you great guys know of a company that makes this kind

of plastic model car ?

All and any info about this matter will be Greatly Appreciated :smiley20:

1966 Ford Mustang Convert..htm

Hey Ray....No 66 convertable kit. But...monogram makes a 64 that you can make into a 66. Kit # 2456. It's the Indy Pacecar. You can get one for $13.00 at Star models...Steve is a great guy to work with. Make sure you call him to make sure he still has the kit in stock. Here's the link( just click on it).....Scroll down to the Fords and you see the 64 Mustang pace car. http://www.resinrealm.net/Star/Styrene/Mon.html

You can upgrade the 64 into the 66 by using the 66 Mustang Photo etch kit from Model car Garage. I bought this kit and it worked out good for my 66 stang. Here's the link for that... http://modelcargarage.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?pageStyle=p&ProdSort=0&page=2&idCategory=21

This should get your 66 Stang for you....Hope this was helpful...

Edited by GaryDavis

Monogram tooled a 1:24 scale '65 Convertible and a 65 Shelby fastback back in the 1980s. These two kits are basically the same except for the body, and you can swap the parts around to build a stock fastback or convertible Shelby if you wanted. The convertible kit I remember had Indy-500 Pace Car decals.

At some point (15 years ago?) Monogram was bought by Revell, so you may see the same kit in Revell and Monogram boxes. The fastback kit seems to always be in production (it comes in at least 3 versions: GT350, GT350R (with Torque-thrust wheels, front air dam and special rear window), and a GT350H (molded in black plastic and with gold stripe decals).

If I remember right, the only difference between a 65 and 66 would be the chrome trim in the side-coves; you could make those with a bit of plastic strip.

AMT does have a kit of a 66 Coupe (notchback) - in both 1:25 and (bigger size) 1:16th scale - but you'd have to cut the roof off and find/make a boot to get a convertible out of those kits.

All of these kits were re-released recently for the 50th anniversary of the Mustang, so they should be easy to find - probably even at your local hobby shop. I typed "revell mustang convertible kit" and "amt mustang kit" into ebay and got a few hits - mostly for under $20.

Good luck...

Don

Edited by Schmitz

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Ray....No 66 convertable kit. But...monogram makes a 64 that you can make into a 66. Kit # 2456. It's the Indy Pacecar. You can get one for $13.00 at Star models...Steve is a great guy to work with. Make sure you call him to make sure he still has the kit in stock. Here's the link( just click on it).....Scroll down to the Fords and you see the 64 Mustang pace car. http://www.resinrealm.net/Star/Styrene/Mon.html

You can upgrade the 64 into the 66 by using the 66 Mustang Photo etch kit from Model car Garage. I bought this kit and it worked out good for my 66 stang. Here's the link for that... http://modelcargarage.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?pageStyle=p&ProdSort=0&page=2&idCategory=21

This should get your 66 Stang for you....Hope this was helpful...

Hey Gary

THANKS 4 your suggestions of which I will take.

Its guys like you that make this forum great.

THANKS AGAIN

Happy Hoildays

Questions Please

What's the best acrylic paint to use?

I've done some reading about Com-art paint.

Is this one of the best to buy?

I like the idea you don't have to use a thinner with this acrylic paint.

Please let me know if I'm on the right track.

I'm very new to airbrushing brushing. Just bought single stage IWATA

for spraying aircrafts.

Thanks Guys

• 3 weeks later...

Amt had 2 styles hard top might be able to cut top off.

email me at sdk5762@aol.com and i'll send some pics of it.

I own a 08 GT convertible that I ordered special and a 15 GT 50th anniversary special.

Steve

• 7 months later...

Hi Ray, I'm also wanting a 1966 Mustang convertible kit. I've found several of the AMT 1966 Mustang hardtop/convertible kits on eBay, but as they are VERY rare, they're horribly expensive, like $75-100, which is more than I'm willing to pay. This kit could be built as a convertible or a hardtop. Yes, really.

My 1966 Mustang convertible was Vintage Burgundy with a black interior. I also owned a new 1970 Mach I in Medium Blue with a black interior.

So there are two options available for your convertible kit if you don't want to buy the $100 AMT kit:

1) buy a 1/24 Danbury Mint model of the 1966 Mustang (white with a blue "pony" interior) off eBay for $20-30 and then disassemble & re-paint to match your real car. I did this and am not totally pleased with the result, as modifications are somewhat difficult, and the engine room & undercarriage detail is a bit weak. It has to be built stock, except you can change the wheels/tires with some work.

2) Buy a kit of the Monogram 1964 Mustang convertible, and another kit of the AMT 1966 Mustang coupe and then kit-bash the two kits to come up with a 1966 convertible. This is what I'm currently doing, but I had to also buy a 1966 Shelby kit to get some Hi-Po engine parts and a grill with no pony emblem in the middle. So far I've spent about $50 with shipping. The key is to wait until really affordable kits pop-up on eBay (like $10-15) and grab them quick.

I'm mostly an armor builder and use my Grex airbrush with Tamiya acrylics extensively for armor kit builds. But, for car models, I just use a rattle can since I'm trying for a nice, smooth, glossy finish. I always overspray the base color with two coats of "wet look clear" so I can rub out the minor imperfections in the paint.

Edited by RickCummelin

Yes, ANOTHER post on 1966 Mustang convertibles, as all my kits showed up, and things cannot go forward as I planned. Why? Well, my above post is incorrect. The AMT 1966 Mustang coupe is 1/25, while the Monogram kits (1966 Shelby fastback & 1964 convertible) are 1/24. The AMT coupe is 1/4" shorter, 1/8" narrower and overall much smaller than the two Monogram kits. So much for 1/24 and 1/25 being "close" in size. No parts interchange between AMT & Monogram either. Darn! Good thing I have no real money in the AMT kit.

Gary Davis had it 100% right. Simply use the Monogram 1/24 1964 convertible kit and then all you will need are the 1966 side cove spears, the 1966 grill and the 1966 dash (from the Monogram 1966 Shelby kit) to build your 1966 convertible. I'm still debating whether to buy yet another Danbury Mint 1966 convertible to get the chrome side spears (& grill), or buy that PE set Gary mentioned in his post (but it claims to be 1/25, not 1/24). However, I really am NOT fond of PE--simply don't like messing with it, especially when you must bend compound curves in a flat piece of metal--like the cove spears.

Oh well.... Onward & upward!