P-40 N

RudyOnWheels

Hi guys! New member here, I just finished up this older AMT/ERTL P-40 N I scored not too long ago in a package deal with 3 other planes for $45. It is a low parts count model, but I had fun with it. This was my first attempt at any sort of "weathering" on an aircraft. I wish it was an earlier AVG Flying Tigers P-40, but I still enjoyed the build, and got to test out my new airbrush. Thanks for looking!

I still need to paint the wing lights red/green, and find some thread or something to use as antenna wire. All of the pictures I found were not clear enough to see where exactly it attached to the tail rudder as well, the earlier models (C, D, etc) seemed to attach to the sides, whereas it looks like Maybe(?) the N-model attached to the leading edge of the tail rudder. (Not sure if that is the correct term, or if it is called the "vertical stabilizer?") I FINALLY got an airbrush that didn't give me problems, a Badger Patriot 105, and couldn't be happier with it. I painted the model with Model Master Enamels, I believe the colors are "Sand Armor" and "underside blue" or something to that effect. Another thing that looks kind of odd, is that the rear canopy seems to stick too far to the rear. (starts to cover USAAF roundels) The included rear part of the canopy was too thick to even fit into place, over the "spine" of the aircraft. Luckily it was a bonus pack that had a squadron vac-u-canopy included. Was my first time working with one of those as well. I hope you enjoy, I had alot of fun building this relatively low-parts count older model. Please excuse the photos, due to the level of my spinal cord injury, (paralyzed from about from the nipples down) I cannot actually outstretch both arms at the same time without "falling over". So it is hard as hell to hold the plane out and take a pic of it at the same time without a bunch of crap in the background, when it is one that doesn't have a landing gear down....

image_zps7cjg0fpy.jpeg

image_zpsxh2fu6fm.jpeg

image_zpsqgtzieq4.jpeg

image_zpsb3y0d7g3.jpeg

image_zpsbetrsala.jpeg

image_zpskgk3qzha.jpeg

image_zpskgk3qzha.jpeg

image_zpsshtanbl1.jpeg

image_zpsiepecll4.jpeg

image_zpsoky05wnr.jpeg

image_zpshn3azbqe.jpeg

image_zpspqf6hmlg.jpeg

IMG_4610_zps2m1hwpri.jpg

IMG_4611_zpsjqkufvib.jpg

IMG_4608_zpsyzmawuld.jpg

IMG_4606_zpsgwqlx8lx.jpg

IMG_4604_zps7ice39uj.jpg

IMG_4605_zpsayja1r7n.jpg

IMG_4609_zpse9avtxqn.jpg

Thanks!! Rudy

• Like 1

Nice job. And welcome to the forum!

I'm on my last P-40 in a series of five of them, didn't build the same kit you built though.

So what's next?

Hi guys! New member here, I just finished up this older AMT/ERTL P-40 N I scored not too long ago in a package deal with 3 other planes for $45. It is a low parts count model, but I had fun with it. This was my first attempt at any sort of "weathering" on an aircraft. I wish it was an earlier AVG Flying Tigers P-40, but I still enjoyed the build, and got to test out my new airbrush. Thanks for looking!

I still need to paint the wing lights red/green, and find some thread or something to use as antenna wire. All of the pictures I found were not clear enough to see where exactly it attached to the tail rudder as well, the earlier models (C, D, etc) seemed to attach to the sides, whereas it looks like Maybe(?) the N-model attached to the leading edge of the tail rudder. (Not sure if that is the correct term, or if it is called the "vertical stabilizer?") I FINALLY got an airbrush that didn't give me problems, a Badger Patriot 105, and couldn't be happier with it. I painted the model with Model Master Enamels, I believe the colors are "Sand Armor" and "underside blue" or something to that effect. Another thing that looks kind of odd, is that the rear canopy seems to stick too far to the rear. (starts to cover USAAF roundels) The included rear part of the canopy was too thick to even fit into place, over the "spine" of the aircraft. Luckily it was a bonus pack that had a squadron vac-u-canopy included. Was my first time working with one of those as well. I hope you enjoy, I had alot of fun building this relatively low-parts count older model. Please excuse the photos, due to the level of my spinal cord injury, (paralyzed from about from the nipples down) I cannot actually outstretch both arms at the same time without "falling over". So it is hard as hell to hold the plane out and take a pic of it at the same time without a bunch of crap in the background, when it is one that doesn't have a landing gear down....

Hey Guy

GREAT built you got there. Loved evey step of tthe way on building it. As a newcomer I certainly appreciate

your photos step by step.

Thanks 4 showing how its done

Schooner

image_zps7cjg0fpy.jpeg

image_zpsxh2fu6fm.jpeg

image_zpsqgtzieq4.jpeg

image_zpsb3y0d7g3.jpeg

image_zpsbetrsala.jpeg

image_zpskgk3qzha.jpeg

image_zpskgk3qzha.jpeg

image_zpsshtanbl1.jpeg

image_zpsiepecll4.jpeg