Desert Tiger

ghodges

Just finished the Skybow 1/48 Mk.1 early production Tiger. Built it OOTB, rubber band tracks and all. Nice kit, mediocre instructions, especially for an airplane builder like myself! I used a couple of other references on building Tiger tanks to help me muddle through. I did make one alteration to the kit; The side skirts are molded as one long piece. I sawed them apart and then bent and damaged each of them a bit with some pliers to make them look used.
006_10.jpg

007_9.jpg

004_17.jpg

008_13.jpg

001_24.jpg

005_11.jpg

002_33.jpg

Found out I absolutely hate road wheels...especially when there's 48 of them! :smiley7: That said, I finally have a Tiger for my 1/48 armor set, and it'll fit the bill for me. I don't expect to build another of these anytime soon.... :smiley20:

Comments, critiques, and questions welcome, as always! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges
  • Like 2

Nicely done, this is not a easy kit to work with, so you should be proud of yourself. :army7:

Thanks Pedro! The road wheel assembly order and the track attachment points were the only real problem areas I found. Any other problems were of my own making!

Also, don't know why the road wheels look slightly browner than the hull in the pics; there's not nearly that contrast to the naked eye.

I appreciate all the kind words!

GIL :smiley16:

• 4 weeks later...

Looks Great Gil! I've got to get some more Panzer Dunkelgelb 1943 paint tonight so I can finish mine! My only thought/criticism would be to paint the road wheels a more dark greyish (like chalky-old rubber) or brownish than the black. They seem to appear too new compared to the rest of the heavily weathered tank. but what do I know, they could have been freshly added!? The tank looks great tho! I hope my Tiger 1 nearing completion looks half as good! I agree, all those damn road wheels are a nightmare to paint!

Rudy

Good point Rudy! The road wheels were actually an experiment in that the tire portions were "painted" with a very fine tip Sharpie ink pen. It saved me a lot of masking time, but I found them to be unreceptive to toning down with weathering, and didn't even take on the final flat coats either......oh well, live and learn!

GIL

Edited by ghodges