Back in the saddle with a new house, new hobby room

dsteingass

So, if you haven't seen the IPMS-USA Facebook page recently, My Wife and I had the fortune of shopping for, and buying a new (to us) home. We've lived here for over a year now, but the bad part of moving is boxing up all your hobby crap. So It sat, until I got sick of looking at this basement
835490_sm-Bench%2C%20Painting%2C%20Workb
835489_sm-Bench%2C%20Painting%2C%20Workb

So, I prime the 75 year old poured concrete walls and wash away the scourge of pastel squares and Gold Sponge Paint over a Victorian Red forever and ever. I start building something adequate to hold all the hobby crap I already had and ended up with this about 3 weeks and minus some folding money later:
835156_sm-Bench%2C%20Hobby%20Room%2C%20O
The Whole Skunkwerks

835157_sm-Bench%2C%20Painting%2C%20Workb
833011_sm-Workbench.jpg
833014_sm-Workbench.jpg
Scratchbuilder's workbench

835158_sm-Bench%2C%20Painting%2C%20Workb
The painting area

835153_sm-Bench%2C%20Painting%2C%20Workb
835260_sm-Bench%2C%20Painting%2C%20Workb

Shelving (with mood lighting)

835239_sm-Bench%2C%20Painting%2C%20Workb
I only spray acrylics, So I installed a 30" convertible Range Hood with a 240 CFM motor, framed it up to fit the bench, and installed the wire shelf. This works like a charm keeping air moving, so it will help with drying immensely. I can pipe it outside in the future if I ever decide to start playing with lacquers or other toxic stuff.

835150_sm-Bench%2C%20Painting%2C%20Workb
Brush Painting Supplies

835151_sm-Bench%2C%20Painting%2C%20Workb
Airbrush supplies

835245_sm-Bench%2C%20Painting%2C%20Workb
Right side shelving is a bit deeper.

834991_sm-Bench%2C%20Painting%2C%20Workb
These are made from dimensional Poplar wood sold in the millwork section of Lowe's and similar stores. Backing boards are all Luan plywood (apparently birch veneer, but it looks like Red Oak to me) (sold for floor underlayment) Clamping, Pre-drilling and glue are necessary (because it is such a hard wood), but they are easy to make, and are MUCH cheaper in the long run (and prettier iMHO) than the myriad of plastic and laser-cut MDF stuff on the market today.
835109_sm-Bench%2C%20Painting%2C%20Workb
Air Compressor Shelf

Anyway, the reason for posting (other than showing off) was because, when I first joined IPMS-USA, I got a big metallic sticker of the logo, I had it front and center on my old modeling bench. Where can I get a new one (or BIGGER ONE) to properly represent?

Edited by dsteingass
  • Like 1

Neat, organized, clean, well lit, and suitably large enough to build anything and everything. I hate you! :smiley2:

Congrats! The hard work, planning, and remodeling are going to provide you with years of enjoyment! :smiley20:

But, post a pic 6mos from now, when it's suitably disorganized..... :P

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

What was wrong with the Blue, Purple and Green squares? A timeless paint scheme IMHO.

Your area is about 4x's larger than mine. And where are the kits going?

Congrats on a great looking work space.

Bill

@Bill- Thanks! I have no idea what that color scheme was about. There were honestly office cubicle walls down here separating that area off, so It was used for some specific purpose. There is a separate Storage room on the other side of the wall as the workbench (left side). I have some steel shelving set up in there, but the Big Wooden wardrobe was fitted with a shelf to hide most of my shame collection ;)
833456_sm-Workbench.jpg

@tgidcumb - Thanks! I wish I could say I meticulously planned it out, but no, I just built one bench and kept going ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow, I am so jealous!

I don't blame you for getting rid of the previous look; this is a tremendous improvement. That will give loads of enjoyment to the hobby for you. Looking forward to the pics from two month from now, with all your latest projects in progress on there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Real nice.

Question I have is how long is the shelf life of your paint. I would like to have a large supply but worried

will dry out before I use it

Steve

Mustang:

Tough question. I have some Pactra paints that are 25-30 years old and just fine. Same with Floquils. Xtracolors are 20 plus and still great. On the other hand, ModelMaster can go south in six months so it is really by brand

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

That's not a space, that's a facility! And the one thing you have that I feel is more important than just about anything else in the modeling game: surface area. Well done!

Rick L.

Edited by Spruemeister

Hey, Dave.

Congrats on that transformation! I would love to do something similar just for paint in my garage. Perhaps you should consider consulting?

I don't think anyone addressed your question about the metallic IPMS sticker. The only ones I know about are in the IPMS store, and they're a little smaller than what you want, I think.

http://www.ipms.deco-apparel.com/shop/view_product/IPMS_USA_Printed_Decal?n=7806502

Gary

Edited by SoftskinFan01

Hi, Dave,

You have a beautiful work space. Mine looks just the opposite; stuff everywhere.

After all these months, can you show us a couple of photos of the models that have been built here? We'd love to see them.

Ed

I agree with Rick and Ed. You definitely have the one thing that is at a premium at my house: space. That's why I love going to Hobby Day; I can spread out like I can't at home. I also want to see some of the models that were made at that 'facility' like Ed requested.

Bring them on!

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys!

Everyone can relax! Everything is good and messy already ;)

863026_sm-.JPG

I definitely have SPACE, that was the primary goal, basically because I hate waiting on paint to dry, this way I can work on other projects while paint dries and they never ever have to move. Parts can sit in one place for weeks if necessary without being handled.

• Like 2

Real nice.

Question I have is how long is the shelf life of your paint. I would like to have a large supply but worried

will dry out before I use it

Steve

Hey Steve,

I only use acrylics, It depends on the pot the manufacturer uses, and how airtight it is. I have some mid-90's Citadel paints in the Ral Partha-type flip-top paint pots that is still fresh. Citadel/Games Workshop makes new paint pots that I swear are designed to dry out and make you buy more. If the pot is sealed from outside air..it can last decades, depending on the rate of evaporation of the medium, the pigment and binder should theoretically last forever if kept sustained in the medium. Most of the Vallejo Game colors I have in the dropper bottles were from a full set I bought back in 2005. I do a lot of product reviews, so I've received a lot of the Badger Minitaire paints gratis from Badger, others I bought over the years. I had to build the shelves to organize all of it that I've accumulated over time.

Hey, Dave.

Congrats on that transformation! I would love to do something similar just for paint in my garage. Perhaps you should consider consulting?

I don't think anyone addressed your question about the metallic IPMS sticker. The only ones I know about are in the IPMS store, and they're a little smaller than what you want, I think.

http://www.ipms.deco-apparel.com/shop/view_product/IPMS_USA_Printed_Decal?n=7806502

Gary

Thanks! I actually got my big logo sticker and clock, and I am proudly representing now.

• 1 month later...

Nice workshop. :smiley16:

We recently downsized from an old cottage on an acre of land to a new Townhouse on the lake. The only problem is I lost my work room and I now have a folding table in the corner to do my projects. Upside - no more acre of lawn to maintain, no snow removal, no more dragging trash to the street for pick-up. Trade offs are a bitch.

• Like 1

Nice workshop. :smiley16:

We recently downsized from an old cottage on an acre of land to a new Townhouse on the lake. The only problem is I lost my work room and I now have a folding table in the corner to do my projects. Upside - no more acre of lawn to maintain, no snow removal, no more dragging trash to the street for pick-up. Trade offs are a bitch.

I hear ya.

We're "past due" for the move to somewhere where I'll never see snow again after I retired. But wifey already knows the new place *will* include a climate controlled section of the garage or an extra bedroom for my models and stash. Every time she comes up to my room, and sees the boxes, she's reminded of the room I'll need. :smiley2: