Saving repairing an old T-2C Buckeye....

ghodges

I have a Golden Wings vacuform 1/48 T-2C that I built back in 2004. It came with decals, but unfortunately over the last decade they yellowed and then turned brown.

001_22.jpg

Since I just finished the camo Buckeye (see below if you missed it) and had the trainer decals left over, I figured this was the time to repair it!

I originally planned to peel/scrape the old decals off.....BUT, they were really stuck on there! :mad: So, I shifted gears and decided to simply paint over the brown decals. The only trick to this was adding a drop or two of yellow and brown to "age" the new white so it'd match the rest of the model.

002_31.jpg

All that was needed after that was to add a gloss coat

001_23.jpg

And voila! Almost as good as new! :smiley20: The only other thing to note is that I changed the plane number to #234 so that I could cut those numbers, and the "34s", out together on the decal sheets I sourced.

Here's a pic of my Buckeye duo....

002_32.jpg

This should be good for another decade or so! :D Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Golden Wings vacuform 1/48 T-2C that I built back in 2004. It came with decals, but unfortunately over the last decade they yellowed and then turned brown.

001_22.jpg

Since I just finished the camo Buckeye (see below if you missed it) and had the trainer decals left over, I figured this was the time to repair it!

I originally planned to peel/scrape the old decals off.....BUT, they were really stuck on there! :mad: So, I shifted gears and decided to simply paint over the brown decals. The only trick to this was adding a drop or two of yellow and brown to "age" the new white so it'd match the rest of the model.

002_31.jpg

All that was needed after that was to add a gloss coat

001_23.jpg

And voila! Almost as good as new! :smiley20: The only other thing to note is that I changed the plane number to #234 so that I could cut those numbers, and the "34s", out together on the decal sheets I sourced.

Here's a pic of my Buckeye duo....

002_32.jpg

This should be good for another decade or so! :D Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Great save, and outstanding work as always, Gil!

• 3 weeks later...