Market for old vac forms

Wayne111

Getting ready to downsize into a retirement community and have a number of old vac form kits (Rare Plane, Nova, ect.) and am wondering if there is any market for them since they for the most part have been superseded by an injection kit.

Yes, judging by what they go for on electronic auction sites, there sure it. It does depend on the subject matter however, A Rareplanes kit of a subject that has since been done in resin or injection will not be worth that much. However, there are many vacuform kits that cover subjects or scales still not done today. I, for one, and Gil Hodges for another, still build these, but as I said, it depends of subject and scale. If you're a member of a local model club, take a list in to see if you can identify the ones that are NOT worth as much. i.e. A vac F-4 Corsair won't be worth that much, but a vac Handley Page Hendon will command a nice price. Then maybe sell those in lots and sell the others individually.

And as an aside, I learned how to be a national judge under your tutelage. Thanks for your years of service to the society.

YUP! If you have any 1/32 or 1/48 vacs, I'd be interested in seeing the list of what you have. I still have quite a few vacs and still build a couple a year on average.

Like Ron, I too can recall you ramrodding the judges meeting, and want to thank you for your service and training of the judge's corp!

GIL :smiley16:

On the contrary, vacs have to be the best source for 'tween wars aircraft and I would be happy to see a list of what you might have available from that era.

As would I! And I'll add my thanks for your past work on behalf of the Society.

Getting ready to downsize into a retirement community and have a number of old vac form kits (Rare Plane, Nova, ect.) and am wondering if there is any market for them since they for the most part have been superseded by an injection kit.

I recently sold some rare planes vacuformed kits on eBay. Only got like $5 a pop for them.

Wayne is, indeed, the Dean and Emeritus Chief Judge of the IPMS Judging Corps. I still recall and employ many of his aphorisms for judging the way I recall and employ those of my surgical professors. My favorites are: "A hole is to look in" and " The modeler finished before he was done!" Nick Filippone

• Like 1

Many thanks for the kind words to all. It has been a while and there will always be "tweaks" needed as the hobby evolves but what we did in the "early days" has largely stood the test of time due to the cooperation and assists from the judging corps. My rock solid foundation was always the judges have only one thing to stand upon-integrety.

Now to the subject. This was engendered by running across the Nova Vulcan on my shelves and while it has been superseded by the Airfix kit it got me thinking. I will make an inventory shortly and post it here. All 1/72nd but there may be some items of interest to some. Thanks for the input.

Wayne

Hi Guys,

Got a bit of time to first find the box holding the vac-forms and grabbed a handful to get started.

All are Rareplanes in 1/72nd

PV-1 Ventura

L-4 Grasshopper

Republic Lancer

LA-5 FN

Vought Vindicator

Fokker G-1 Reaper

Lots more to come as I unearth them and get some time to list them.

Wayne

I'm a little late to the party here, but my membership had lapsed and I had to reestablish it in order to post, as you know.

I have the following Estoteric kits:

Curtiss F Boat, NAF-14

Boeing Fighter 3, NAF-7

Grumman Goblin, NAF-22

Fiat C.R. 20, NAF-31

Fairey Flycatcher, NAF-23

Westland Walrus, NAF-36

Great Lakes BG-1

Parnall Panther, NAF-34

Sorry Joe, don't have the particular two Esoterics you mention.

I also have the following from Air Craft Models, same M.O. as Esoteric, vacuform plus white metal parts, also from England:

D.H. 91 (1/72 scale, this recently sold on eBay for $135),

Vickers Vimy Commercial (1/144 scale) ("City of London")

I have had under construction for practically forever the Esoteric Grumman "Flying Barrel" but am now close to completion. Showed me how difficult it is with my modest construction skills to handle the vacuformed kit. This fact, and my place on the mortality tables, indicates that as much as I love the idea of vacuform kits and the obscurity of many of the subjects, I am not going to come close to getting them done. Further, I'd like to get some of these into the hands of IPMS colleagues who are personally interested in the subject matter, as opposed to the purely "commercial" approach of sending them out to the eBay marketplace (plus, I haven't yet set up an eBay account and am not committed to the idea of being an eBay vendor).

I may pull the Great Lakes biplane off the table because I am a Cleveland native and I'd love to pay homage to both CLE and the manufacturer of the plane, now long gone of course.

Rick Green

I'm a little late to the party here, but my membership had lapsed and I had to reestablish it in order to post, as you know.

Curtiss F Boat, NAF-14

Boeing Fighter 3, NAF-7

Grumman Goblin, NAF-22

Fiat C.R. 20, NAF-31

Westland Walrus, NAF-36

Great Lakes BG-1

Parnall Panther, NAF-34

I also have the following from Air Craft Models, same M.O. as Esoteric, vacuform plus white metal parts, also from England:

I have had under construction for practically forever the Esoteric Grumman "Flying Barrel" but am now close to completion. Showed me how difficult it is with my modest construction skills to handle the vacuformed kit. This fact, and my place on the mortality tables, indicates that as much as I love the idea of vacuform kits and the obscurity of many of the subjects, I am not going to come close to getting them done. Further, I'd like to get some of these into the hands of IPMS colleagues who are personally interested in the subject matter, as opposed to the purely "commercial" approach of sending them out to the eBay marketplace (plus, I haven't yet set up an eBay account and am not committed to the idea of being an eBay vendor).

I may pull the Great Lakes biplane off the table because I am a Cleveland native and I'd love to pay homage to both CLE and the manufacturer of the plane, now long gone of course.

Rick Green

Rick, that Flycatcher sounds interesting. What do you want for it?

Joe

Curtiss F Boat, NAF-14

Boeing Fighter 3, NAF-7

Grumman Goblin, NAF-22

Fiat C.R. 20, NAF-31

Westland Walrus, NAF-36

Great Lakes BG-1

Parnall Panther, NAF-34

Rick Green

Joe

Joe, will sell for $10 + shipping and shipped by any means you choose.

I'm interested in the Parnell Panther. If you PM me a price, maybe we can work something out.

Ron, all I could find was an eBay sale in Feb. 2016 for $71.00 US, so this must be somewhat sought after. Given my motivations, I would sell it to you for less than that. Let me think about it. Thank you for your interest.

Curtiss F Boat, NAF-14

Boeing Fighter 3, NAF-7

Grumman Goblin, NAF-22

Fiat C.R. 20, NAF-31

Westland Walrus, NAF-36

Great Lakes BG-1

Parnall Panther, NAF-34

Rick Green

Joe

Joe, will sell for $10 + shipping and shipped by any means you choose.

Sounds good to me. If you can shoot me an email to hegedus(at)md(dot)metrocast(dot)net we can work out the details. Thanks!

Joe

I'm interested in the Parnell Panther. If you PM me a price, maybe we can work something out.

Ron, my only reference point being that one eBay auction resulting in a $71.00 final bid, how about $40.00? We can take this to e-mail if you'd like, R550Green(at)sbcglobal(dot)net.

Edited by ragrun