M1A1 w/plow completed

802chrisg

Very nicely done, Chris. I really like all the stowage. It helps give it that lived-in look. :army7:

The only thing I'd do differently is take off the M-16 that's on top of the turret. Tank crewman don't carry M-16s in their vehicles. They use the M9 pistol. But that's just me! It's still a very awesome job! I hope I never compete against it at a contest! :smiley32:

Thanks Richard for your great comments.. As for the M-4 by the commander, they did use them for close combat. This vignette is set during the Thunder Run into Baghdad on April 5, 2003. It was easier for the vehicle commander to grab his M-4 or M-16 and use it on close in targets, i.e. suicide vehicles etc.

Chris G.

• Like 1

Richard, you are incorrect. Every M1 version included an M16 version (started as an M16A1, then M16A2, now an M4) as part of the tank components of end items. Just like the older M48/M60 series tanks included the M3 "grease gun" submachine gun. There is even an M16 rack at the commander's station. It was considered a crew served weapon and used for local security and when putting out LP/OPs (listening posts/outposts) forward of a defensive position.

Here is a photo of the rifle rack. It stores barrel down into that small metal post hole and the "V" shaped bracket was designed to fit the handguards of the older M16 or M16A1. A welder had to modify that part so it could hold the circular handguards of the M16A2. That short bungee cord held the rifle in place. At least one of the crewmen went to the range to qualify on it once a year. Normally when the company ran the rifle range for the mechanics, supply sergeant, NBC NCO, armorer and the HMMWV drivers (who were armed with M203 grenade launchers).

aag.jpg

One nitpick I see is the handle on the inside of the TC's hatch. On your kit it looks like a metal bar bent into shape, but it is actually just a nylon canvas web strap bolted into place.

m1a1_28_of_71.jpg

Thanks for the correction, Sir. :m1helmet:

I've given myself 40 lashes with a wet noodle and stamped "No Dessert" on my meal card!

Robin,

Yes It was pointed out to me after I had completed the build. I didn't have time to change it out for this past weekend for the show I attended. I will definitely be changing it soon. Good eye. Thanks.

Chris