Eduard's advertisement

Michele

Good morning,

I have recently received the new EDUARD Info newsletter. This newsletter is usually full of updates and also contains interesting historical articles. However, in the last issue they have add a couple of pictures of an almost naked nice looking woman. I just want to make it clear I am not a puritan and normally I don't care about this. Indeed, I find awkward that some model shows requires that models with "Pin Up" as nose art have to be displayed separately. In fact, "nose arts" are historical accurate and will fit within scope of modeling (same for fantasy etc). However, the pictures Eduard has added to their newsletter has nothing to do with the context of the article. In fact, this is intended to advertise their new steel seat belts products. I have been in the model world for 40 years now, and I felt good to realize that when I buy a model or an accessory it is because the reviews I read, the discussion I have with other modelers or because I was waiting for that particular model (even if I will never build it...). I don't think that our community needs to participate to general concept "put a naked woman on it and you will sell much more". I don't see Tamiya, Airfix, Revell, Hasegawa and other major company advertise their product using naked body. They know we don't need them because they know we eager to buy their new F-14, Spitfire, Mustang, Sherman etc.

I believe that what EDUARD is doing is considering the modeler community composed by old guys that will buy their new seatbelts just because they see a picture of a nice girl associated to this product. I sincerely hope that model magazines will not accept this ad in the future.

Maybe I am the only one that feels like this, but I am curious to know what others think about it. Meanwhile, I have asked Eduard to remove my name from the Bunny Club membership and e-mail list and with a lot of sadness I have decided not buying anymore their products up to the point the will change this policy that I consider disrespectful both for our community and more important for the women.

• Like 1

Michele,

I have not seen the advertisement of which you speak. Further, I have no particular opinion about the issue, but that has nothing to do with the reason I am replying to you.

I want to thank you for stating your view in a clear and intelligent fashion. All too often, opinions are expressed in language or with emotional content that distracts from the message itself. Your message was well stated, and furthermore, your course of action seems appropriate for you. You do not ask others to follow your example but there is, within your post, the unspoken message that others may or may not share your opinion, that they may or may not follow a course of action based on their opinion, but that you recognize they have the freedom to make such a decision based on their own views.

Well said.

• Like 2

I could not agree more with Mr. Borgarelli! This puerile advertising insults us. Many modelers are serious historians and craftsmen. To assume we appreciate such trashy and suggestive images and need them to decide whether we will make a purchase demeans us. But more importantly, it demeans and degrades and objectifies women at the very time women are dealing with injustice in our Courts and sexual abuse in the workplace. These images and the misogenistic mentality that promotes them are the very reasons why so often woman are treated as mere sex objects and not as fellow and equal human beings. Many of us have wives and sisters and daughters and granddaughters and I would be willing to bet that none of us would appreciate seeing the girls and women in our lives viewed the way Eduard asks us to view this woman! For heaven's sake- it is the 21st. century and Eduard hasn't moved past the mind set of a 16 th century Ottoman voluptuary. Let Eduard apologize for this ad and pull it. Then I will consider purchasing masks from them again. Nick Filippone

My 'old guy' reaction is more like Robin's: It's just odd. Their previous ads with the saucy babe in the MiG-21 'pit, I took as tongue-in cheek fun with those otherwise ultra-technical walkaround detail pix that we enjoy so much. The bathtub thing? I just don't get it. Often when an advertiser shifts away from their product niche to that kind of theme, I start to suspect that maybe their perceived product quality or market share may be slipping.

Thanks all, for sharing your thoughts on this topic. I hope Eduard will listen to us and will revise their policy. I agree with Bob, that if a company shifts away from their product niche is possible they feel their product quality is not anymore competitive enough.

I have seen it and honestly, it doesn't matter. It is the world we live in and no different than 90% of TV ads. It doesn't make it right. Maybe I have become immune to the ads.

And Eduard has done this before so I suspect it will not stop

Dave