Cosmostrator from "First Spaceship on Venus"

ewahl

The Cosmostrator is one of the most interesting designs for a movie space ship that I have seen. It is from an eastern European sci-fi film from the 1950s. It's all chrome plated. Alclad II black base and chrome cover the entire model. I had to work it in sections with masking tape covering the areas already finished. No Alclad peeled up with the tape when I removed it.

The kit itself is simple enough to assemble. There are only nine different parts, but several are used three times to form the outrigger rocket pods. The time invested is mostly in filling and smoothing seams on the compound curves, around the small fins, and dealing with sink holes in the pieces. The ABS plastic permits very sharp points on the four tips and very thin leading and trailing edges on the pod support fins.

This kit needs a base, badly. I suppose I'll have to make one.

Ed

DSC03527_zpsvhpml12j.jpg

DSC03526_zpslvz1gz8y.jpg

DSC03525_zpsrizdtra7.jpg

Hey Ed,

You did a great job on this rocket. The finish with the Alclad really "pops" the curvature of all those pieces. It gives it a unique look when viewing it as it almost casts its own shadows with the depth of the paint. I'm glad you brought it to the meeting for us all to see.

Bill

Very nice job!! WOW!

Altho I don't use it anymore, Alclad is good about not coming up if you have to tape over it.

I started using the Vallejo Metallics, just as good (IMHO) and they're acrylic. :smiley2:

• 1 month later...

I took this Cosmostrator model to its first contest today -- the annual IPMS/Butch O'Hare Show. This contest is always judged G-S-B. I was very surprised when my name was called for a Gold award, my first one ever at a Butch O'Hare show (and I have been going and entering since the 1990s). It's a nice feeling. :smiley1:

Ed