1/48 Luftwaffe F-104G Starfighter

ghodges

001_19.jpg

005_8.jpg

006_8.jpg

011_7.jpg

002_27.jpg

This is the Monogram F-104G kit. I added some Eduard pe to the interior and rescribed it. I was going to use a resin seat, but couldn't make it fit, so I tricked out the kit seat instead. The decals are Hasagawa kit items given to me by a friend. I also added a nose pitot made from telescoping steel tubing. Paints are Model Master and the panel lines were accented with a brown colored pencil. I've wanted a Luftwaffe 104 back in my collection since losing my original build from the early '80s some years ago. Happy to have this one on the shelf! :smiley20:

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

That looks great Gil. I have that Hasegawa kit with those markings to build. That old Monogram kit looks the part though. Half the parts of the Hasegawa kit with fantastic results by you.

Did the decals match up pretty well on the different kit they ended up on?

Nice job, again.

Bill

The decals fit better than I expected, though the tip tank checks didn't quite match up on the lower inboard sections of the Monogram tanks. Just be sure to CUT OUT the clear sheet from those empty spots designed to fit around the tank protrusions.

The checks on the tail fin were better. By the way, I painted the tail fin white and used the separate blue checks and other decals instead of the set of blue/white checked decals that cover the entire tail fin. Also, be aware that the German flag decal (applied separately to the checked area) is translucent. I ended up cutting out the flags from the bigger decals to apply them over the ones already on the tail fin, which helped.

In my experience, you need to use very warm water on Hasagawa decals. This loosens them on the sheet faster and makes them more pliable on the surface. Also, for the checked areas that did need some touch up, it was very tough to match that blue. I tried mixing a bunch of different blues, but in the end, just used straight Testors Sky Blue from the little bottle. It doesn't match up under scrutiny, but passes at a glance.

Thanks for the kind words!

GIL :smiley16:

• 2 weeks later...