Convention Banquet Attire?

When I get dressed up...especially in a suit...I look so fine your heads would explode.

Therefore, in everyone's best interest, I shall remain casual.

You're welcome.

• Like 1

I vote for the causal attire as well. This society consists of a plethora of people. Rich and poor, blue and white collar. I, for one am not sure if I own a sport jacket (my wife would know better) and the only time I ever wore a tie was for my wedding. Wear what you are, not what you're trying to be. If I remember correctly I wore a hat to the banquet, not to try to dress down, but because the tickets were sold when I got there and someone gave me one just before it started. I figured a hat is better than "hat hair." And as for the dressing up for a job interview, yes, that is very important. However, as a business owner, if someone applied for a job with my company wearing a suit and tie, I would probably pass on him because I'd be afraid he couldn't do the work that needs to be done. Just my .02

• 2 weeks later...

On hats, I have about as much hair as a billiard ball. In some air conditioned environments, I get cold. Believe it or not, a hat prevents loss of body heat and can add a degree of comfort in such environments, so I do wear a hat quite often, but will remove it if I perceive that I'm out of order.

:)

Skip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your input and well-stated views on this Topic - including a woman's opinion (Thanks Jodie) and even a "1 picture is worth a 1,000 words" view point (Thanks Pete). We now have many other's views to consider.

It was very gratifying to see over 775 views of this topic reflecting a high interest.

The objective was never to propose a Required Dress Code for the banquet; but rather to; 1. hold a discussion to raise our awareness of how others felt about the subject and 2. perhaps offer a suggested Banquet attire. I think we accomplished these goals.

Thank You all again.

• 8 months later...

I would like to resurrect this topic as some new Convention attendees might be interested.

This discussion got pretty lively last year!! :o

Please consider this discussion as a guideline - NOT a rule.

My problem with people is the ones that have an aversion to soap. Jeans that have never been washed, underwear that by it's smell makes it obvious it has not been changed in a while, shirts that stink of B.O, breath that can remove paint and hair that hasn't been washed in weeks. I've judged next to all that and sat next to a few at banquets. Ick. A nice clean T-shirt would have been welcomed!

As long as the clothes are clean, as is the wearer of said clothes, and as long as any language displayed on that apparel contains no profanity then I'm a happy attendee. Clearly there is a wide range of attire that is appropriate. Notice that I did not use the word, "acceptable" as that leads to some measure of judgement by a person or persons who sit in judgement of others. "Appropriate" allows the wearer to determine if their attire is satisfactory, and if their attire is so offensive as to draw attention to themselves then they, clearly, are trolls who wish to be offensive, who deliberately bring offense to others, and who deserve no attention or interest.

Now, if their clothing contains nudity (not nose art.....its art) and language which is so reprehensible that its violates some code or rule of the facility, or some law of the metropolitan government, then there are ways to deal with that person. (I am thinking of a young man whom I saw in the fast-food joint the other day, the language and images were so graphic that I was thinking the shirt was a souvenir from his last visit to the House of the Rising Sun)

Ron's description of the "unclean" describes the worst dressed, worst kept attendees I have seen, or smelled, but that's as bad as it gets. You want to wear shorts and a white undershirt to the banquet? (Think Simon Cowell on America's Got Talent). Go ahead, but you present yourself in an unfortunate manner.

Stop it with the Dress Code nonsense. Be responsible for yourself. Be considerate of others.