Airfix 1/600 HMS Hood

Ron Bell

This kit dates from 1960, so the molds are over 45 years old! However, I like the 1/600 scale. 1/700 can get too small and 1/350 would require an addition to my house for display. I used an Artwox replacement deck which fit pretty well. Main problem was in such an old kit, you're sanding and filing to get stuff to fit and in doing so you change some of the finer dimensions. But in the end, it went down fine. I also used the White Ensign PE set which includes both a fantail catapult and turret flying off platforms. However, the kit is of the Hood in a mid to late 1930's configuration, so neither would have been in use. In addition, the PE pompoms while perhaps more detailed than the kit's, looked flat and hollow and had no heft to them. So, I cleaned up the kit parts and added some of the WE PE parts to detail them. I think they look pretty good. Also added vision slots to the turrets and used replacement barrels. Added blast bags and in an ironic twist for an Airfix kit, added rivet detail to the turrets tops.

DSCN4408.jpg

DSCN4409.jpg

DSCN4410.jpg

DSCN4413.jpg

DSCN4418.jpg

Wow! Sensational work Ron! I built one of these about four decades ago myself and it looks it. Yours is magnificent! I also am a big fan of 1/600 scale ships; they are small enough not to take up much room on the shelf, while big enough to add detail commensurate with 1/350 scale ships. It's too bad that model companies never standardized in this scale instead of 1/700.

Way to go Ron!