2017 Nats Hotel Reservations

• 8 months later...

I have a question on cancelling a room reservation: Is there a waiting list or pool it will return to?

It looks increasingly bad for my attendance as I'll be moving my son to Baltimore that weekend and I did not want to just cancel my reservation without checking to see if any mechanism was in place to accommodate another member. And, will the room still carry the discounted rate for someone in line to book it?

Many thanks!

Frank

For the Columbus Convention I posted a room I had free Up. I posted on Hyperscale and IPMS and got somebody who needed a room. Just changed the name on the reservation.

If you cancel with hotel it is open season on the room and nobody knows it is available.

Bill

During the initial rush last August we were able to get a reservation at the Marriott, but only for Thursday thru Saturday. My wife called them up this evening, and was able to add Wednesday night (at the convention rate) with no problem, so there may be some vacancies opening up due to cancellations. Really looking forward to the shindig..2011 was fantastic!

Steve Nelson

IPMS #30925

• 1 month later...

Just learned that the Marriot does not provide a breakfast...the receptionist said that each type of reservations specifies breakfast or not and that the IPMS block does not.

I cancelled my plans to attend Columbus and Columbia because of the practice of some (or many) of immediately reserving a room and then cancelling late in the game. In both cases, I asked to be placed on a waiting list, received a call about 7-10 days before the convention stating that they had multiple cancellations, was asked if I wanted a room, and was informed that the room was not available at the IPMS rate but only at the regular room rate. It was simply too late and too expensive to make the trip.

In the case of Columbia, I was in a secondary hotel and was number 50 something on the waiting list -- so there were a bunch of cancellations at the last minute.

This year I am going to two hobby conventions not related to IPMS. In both cases, the organizers of the convention have controlled the room block and one cannot make a reservation until one has actually registered and paid to attend the convention -- no refunds after the refund date. One of these is to the Astronomical League's annual convention in Casper, WY, coinciding with the total solar eclipse. My room, through the convention block, will cost me 1/3 of the normal rate -- due to the huge demand related to the eclipse.

David: I can understand your frustration, but I can tell you that no IPMSUSA National convention has ever had the ability (nor probably the desire) to demand registration before allowing a room reservation. This is largely due to the fact that almost all the time the convention space rental is tied to room block occupancy, and if it "sells out" then the rental space is free (or greatly discounted). Thus, it's in the interest of the host to sell rooms whether or not people actually register for the show.

If others can make better arrangements (in your view), then God bless them; but IPMSUSA has never had the clout to do so.

Also, when it comes to getting the convention room rate, it is quite possible to do so, but you CANNOT rely on the hotel. After all, they're looking to charge you the most they can. Instead, you have to look here and put the word out among IPMS members that you're looking to pick up a cancelled room, and then work personally with THEM to take over their reservation.

The best way is still to make a reservation for the next year NATS ASAP IF you think you have any serious intentions of attending. It may not seem "fair"; but then what in life is? Hope this helps a bit.

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Both the Marriott and Embassy suites list rooms available at the IPMS rate from Wednesday thru Sunday. I called the Marriott directly (on another matter) and talked to Jason in reservations directly who confirmed rooms are available at the IPMS rate.

There are some rooms available due to cancellations and the convention rate should apply. If you can't get the convention rate book anyway and reach out to me through the convention website and I should be able to fix it. I haven't failed yet. You can always cancel. The Embassy has the breakfast and Marriot doesn't. The Marriot is also less expensive. It was a choice.

Scott Hackney

2017 Convention Chairman

• 2 weeks later...

We just switched our reservation from the Marriott to the Embassy. My wife was able to get a room at the Embassy for Wednesday through Saturday nights at the convention rate with not problem. BTW, they said tomorrow is the last day to make reservations at the convention rate. We haven't cancelled our reservation at the Marriott yet, in case someone wants it.

Steve Nelson

IPMS #30925