Hobbico Italeri Coming Soon

dmorrissette

• 1 month later...

The (re-issue) Italeri late-model B-52G: Be advised that the Italeri box art shows a subtle, but important inaccuracy, with a standard wing root on an ALCM-carrier BUFF. In accordance with the SALT-II treaty, ALCM-capable B-52Gs were given a big, curved fairing as shown on my build of this kit, below. (The ALCM H-models got a an extra pair of antenna as the Observable External Difference/OED.)

The good news is that the Italeri Late B-52G kit gets it right - for the ALCM carriers. The bad news is that without a significant modification back to a standard B-52 wing root, the modeler seeking accuracy with this is constrained to mark this kit as a BUFF from an ALCM-capable unit. My future Loring B-52G will not have the ALCM wing-root, hence it will be a kit-bash of Italeri's late H-model and the early G-model (guns, nacelles).

1/72 Italeri B-52G, late-model ALCM jet:

BUFF72_z1_zpsw1pahxdu.jpg

Edited by VonL

Nice! I asked for the B-52 for a review kit too

Dave

Cool. Pay careful attention to which nacelle/pylon goes into each niche in the wing leading edges. The instructions had it wrong in my kit, c.2011. There is a subtle shape on the sides of each pylon that is supposed to align with the wing sweep angle. I took pix and described this issue in a set of build pix that may still be somewhere on this site. Use whatever, if it helps.

FWIW, there is a new-tool(?) kit of this bird percolating out there somewhere, by a new company. For all of the griping about these Italeri kits, I thought it was OK and well worth the effort to have a late-model BUFF in The Gentleman's Scale.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, the new company is Modelcollect, which started out in 1/72 scale Russian armor. They have a pretty extensive line of Russian vehicles in "The Gentleman's Scale" and growing. They are branching out into aircraft with the 1/72 scale B-52 and the 1/72 scale B-2 Stealth Bomber. Both look to be outstanding kits right now. If their aircraft are anything like their 1/72 scale vehicles (of which I've built quite a few) then these aircraft will be par excellence!