An Oops in the Judging?

None of the models in any of the categories are mine, but I'm trying to get things straight.

Observation.

Figures- #305B- Pre 1900 - 71mm or larger - - Page 17 in Vlads presentation shows The Viking (or whoever he is) winning 2nd place. IIIRC the order goes 3rd, 2nd, 1st... OK?

So if the figure won 2nd how did it win Best of Class - Best Figure (Vlad's page 30). I thought the Best model in whatever category was decided from all the 1sts in the category.

As I mentioned I didn't enter any figures, so no sour grapes here, but just wondering if there was an oops.

Edited by Roktman

I actually thought I caught the same thing during the awards, have looked at that Viking during the day, and then seeing it take 2nd on the screen....

Or, was there perhaps, another very similar Viking figure? I have no dog in this fight either, but seemed to notice what Kevin did.

GIL :smiley16:

Here's the story from the Chief Judge:

"This issue was recognized immediately at the awards presentation by Lindy Woody, Head Figures Judge, and one of the team judges for 305-B. Whomever had recorded the results for 305-B had just transposed 1st & 2nd place winners. While the awards slide show was still going on, Lindy and the other judge went down to the contest room, to make sure the correct awards were placed with the correct models. And if I recall correctly, Lindy said she had spoken with the 2nd-place award recipient, to explain the error.

The original intent of the 305-B judges was to award Bill Chilstrom's German Warrior 1st place. So it was appropriate to consider that German Warrior for Best Figure, and for which it was selected. The judges' error was in transposing 1st & 2nd places on their judges' worksheet; they didn't really select a 2nd-place winner as the Best Figure.
Vlad was informed of the error after the awards presentation. If his slide show on SVSM still has the 1st & 2nd place winners transposed, we'll contact him again and ask him to correct it. Eileen has the results corrected on the contest-results report she'll be sending to John Heck for the convention-special Journal."
Just a clerical error that was rectified immediately.
  • Like 1

Yep, as I was sitting next to Lindy, I heard a very quiet comment, saw her get up as she told the table she'd be right back and she disappeared for a few minutes. Upon returning she explained what had happened.