1/48 C-119 Flying Boxcar

ghodges

This is the Combat vac kit. There's a build thread on this down in the "On the Bench" if you care to see the self flagellation.... :smiley2:

015.jpg

020.jpg

008_4.jpg

010_2.jpg

014.jpg

004_5.jpg

019.jpg

021.jpg

027.jpg

Got it built in 30 days! Lots of dings on this one, but glad to have it done, and it'll be the best 1/48 Flying Boxcar on the table! I hope.... :D

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 2

Nice build Gil. I love to see vacuum formed models. IMHO, a vac build really shows the skill of the modeler since they mostly come with just the most basic parts. Esoteric subject matter, parts attachment, panel scribing, seam filling, scratch building the details, painting skill (bare metal at that!) and cobbling together decals for a particular (sometimes very esoteric) model are what tests the skills of a true modeler (IMHO). Gil gets my official tip of the hat.

Well done, Gil!

Mark

Gil-

Great Job! Glad you made the Nats. I've got four proxy entries up there. I remember when I went to Sebring for the 12 Hours race, back in the '70s, C-82 and C-119s were parked on the airfield in vrious states of disassembly.

-Rick

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Bill, no, it didn't do anything but take up space and hold down the table cloth! :smiley2: If you saw the other vac entries, particularly the biplanes in the category, it didn't deserve to place, let alone win. There was some truly outstanding craftsmanship I was up against! :smiley20:

I'm still quite happy with it, warts and all. There were several skills that I had to dust off to get it built, and I also had to scamper to correct unexpected problems, all while keeping to my schedule to get it done in time.

It's now "Officially" done, as my buddy Jerry Wells printed off the nose art I needed and sent it to me.

002_27.jpg

It's really great when a friend can pick up the slack for ya! Cheers!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Simply stunning work, Gil! Especially considering how much scratchbuilding you did. This is right up there with your incredible B-47. I have yet to tackle a vac-formed kit. I've always shied away from them because of the inherent difficulties, and also because almost everything I want to build is - thankfully - available in injection-molded kits.

Thanks Drew, and you're right. There's not much reason to build a vac these days as compared when I picked up the habit 30yrs ago! If you ever do decide to tackle one, just pick out a Koster or Dynavector vac and you'll have a much better experience than anything with the Combat label on it!

Magnifique! Even more so, as it stands up to a close-up view, like the nose-art shot.

Have got a 1/72 Tu-95 Bear-D vac kit in the stash...which just inched its way toward the front of the line.