Awards ceremony seating

Will there be seats for the awards ceremony for those who are NOT seated for the banquet?

Due to fire regulations there will be NO additional seating or standing in the banquet room available for the awards ceremony, only those attending the banquet will be allowed in that room. Seating and a TV broadcast of the ceremony will be available in the Lexington A Room along with a cash bar..

Edited by hplott

Not the first time for this sort of arrangement either. St. Louis had to use closed circuit TV to broadcast the awards ceremony many years ago. But good to have a banquet ticket!

GIL :smiley16:

• 10 months later...

Before going "nuclear" on a host for not making the Awards Ceremony open to non-ticket holders, consider the constraints under which the host operates.

1). The physical layout of the facility might allow for seating to be organized in an adjoining room, and at some point, an air wall might be pushed back so that those in the adjoining room can see, or at least hear, the Awards Ceremony.

2). The willingness of the facility to allow for such an arrangement as described in # 1.

3). The cost of stocking the adjoining room with chairs.

4). The availability of such a room, assuming some other organization isn't conducting a meeting of its own in said room.

5). The cost of "including" said room in the bid if such a room exists.

6). Transmission of the Awards Ceremony via TV or internet----it ain't free and the cost of including this in the bid varies from reasonable to staggering.

7). As mentioned in a previous post, the fire marshall frowns on filling isles between banquet tables with chairs. Standing observers can obstruct the isles just as well. (A side note- I attended a banquet in which the view of the podium and screen for seated banqueteers was blocked by non-banqueteers standing in the spaces between the tables. A few polite requests for clearing said spaces were ignored, and so were some not-so-polite requests. Clearly, some people lack even a minimum of courtesy and cooperation.

Sooner or later, folks will live-stream the ceremony via their cell phones (don't tell anyone I mentioned it.....I'm sure the hotels would not be pleased with the loss of potential AV revenue).

The easiest way to gain access to a chair and some decent food is to buy a banquet ticket.
Speaking from personal experience, I've never had a bad meal at one of these banquets. Yes, it is expensive, but then I'm buying more than the food. I'm buying access to the Awards Ceremony.

I never went to a banquet before last year's nats. Didn't realize what I'd been missing!! Will never attend another without buying a banquet ticket.

• Like 1

Hi folks, there will be plenty of seats for viewing the awards presentation in a separate room. Just as in 2011 we will broadcast the awards presentation into a room that seats between 150-200 people right across from the contest room. Bring your popcorn and enjoy the show!

Scott Hackney

2017 Convention Chairman