1/48 Hasegawa Arado 234 "Blitz"-After 3 Years....Finished!!!

mustang1989

It's been a long while since I've done anything aviation related so it's been really difficult to decide on what I'm going to do for an ice breaker for the last few months. I bounced back and forth from Ta-152 to an Fw190 D series to a 190 A series to finally .........this:

A Hase offering of the 234:
001_zps5anvpfic.jpg

I bought two of these because every time I start hackin' on a build for detail add ons like cockpits or engine displays or anything like that I have inherent problem of messing something up along the way to the point of being unrepairable so I just head it off at the pass with a spare parts kit. I don't know when exactly I'll get started on this bad boy as I still have to finish up my '54 Chevy Panel Wagon that I'm building in the Auto section here but I decided to post a Threadlocker anyway.

Here are the upgrades:

002_zps9jp5pm6p.jpg

with a masking set:

003_zpsjr3jqhch.jpg

and reference material:

$(KGrHqF,!qUFHeJ-S3D!BSDZl03mlg~~60_35.J

aa9.jpg

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 1

Thanks Gil and Kevin.

I picked one of these up as well just so I could have some of the odds and ends out of it. (I've actually had all these items to include both kits now for several months to be ready for the finish up of my '54 Chevy)

s-l500.jpg

and a set of these:

s-l500.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

I think I’m going to test fit this kit together first to see how it’s supposed to go together and then install my resin goodies here and there. I figure it’ll give me a slight edge when things aren’t going together so smoothly when installing the resin pieces. Painting this sucker on the bottom will be a unique experience for me as I’m used to painting my exteriors with no landing gear installed. Judging by the fit of the fuselage halves together and the wing to fuselage joint I’d say it might be a slight bit easier of a kit than I’d originally thought. icon_hmm_zps07rcoppf.gif

001_zpsi6vgrxpl.jpg

002_zpsliweqg2v.jpg

More test fitting with the Aires interior detail set. Looks like it's going to fit good at the firewall/ fuselage joint. Will have to see how everything is going to behave with the glass installed ..........

001_zpsdrlkmlbc.jpg

This is a fairly well complimented set and I'm looking forward to working with it:

006_zpsytda10xs.jpg

004_zpsvjyldrzp.jpg

003_zpseurxskwi.jpg

002_zpsfmvqw4kj.jpg

005_zps1yu4usow.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the tub all trimmed up and the two pieces glued together. I had to sand a lot of material from the bottom to get it to fit right but so far so good. Here's a few shots with the clear nose piece test fitted. It looks like it's gonna be A-OK.

001_zpsig1tkfga.jpg

002_zpskqf0kt6m.jpg

003_zpskvdkkspq.jpg
  • Like 1

Joseph,

Great job on the fit between the nose and the fuselage. That has always been a problem spot with this kit. I worked hours on getting mine to fit right when I built this kit. Keep up the good work.

Edited by tgidcumb
  • Like 1

Thanks Gil and Tim!

I cut the side panels from the resin mounting blocks today. This stuff is super thin so cutting it from them was a slow process to avoid breaking the dang things. Looks like everything is fitting here so far:

001_zpshodlpsl4.jpg

and still mates up to the fuselage as good as I've ever seen from an Aires set

002_zpsjkbzbsjz.jpg

• Like 1

I started things off by black basing the whole cockpit tub:

001_zpsa3kcyv9j.jpg

I managed to shoot a base coat of RLM 66 emamel after that followed up by hitting the highlights with a little acrylic RLM 66 with a drop of white in it on the high points. I set that aside to dry and then hit it with a coat of Tamiya Clear and allowed that to dry. I followed that up with a wash of MIG Productions dark wash lightened some so as not to be overbearing with it. After that dried under a lamp for a while I brought out all the details and dry brushed some silver over the corners and over some of the more frequently used controls through out the side consoles. I then went over everything with a coat of MM flat clear with a drop of grey in it to give the sun faded look. I still have to install the instruments at the R/H front console and at the upright panel at the front of the L/H console and then it'll be down to the PE details, resin pieces like the control yoke and seat with belts and then the main instrument panel. There's alot more stuff I didn't mention but the list is just too dang long. You get the picture though(no pun intended).

003_zps8eteuyah.jpg

004_zpsrqtoykou.jpg

Thank you Bill and Gil.

I've been throwing a lot of time and energy at the Chevy as of late just trying to get it finished.

You know how it is when you want something finished and it just won't cooperate? That's what's happening with the Chevy Sedan Delivery I'm building. It's one thing after another but I'm getting through it. I had an opportunity while paint was drying on that to switch back over to the Arado. Pilots seat is done and installed. I'll be working on the back wall where the battery and other details are and working my way forward after I take care of the nose gear bay on the bottom side of this whole assembly. Here's the progress : ( The seat belts are actually dirtier than they look in the picture-here they look practically brand new....wow)

001_zpsrslgm5yl.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thanks Kevin. Man have I been falling down on the job with the updates. Since the last update here I've actually finished the cockpit tub and moved on to fuselage and wing assembly. I'll post the completed cockpit photos here as I'm really happy with the outcome. Lets just hope the rest of the model build follows suit. lol

001_zpsx7prpp5f.jpg

002_zpskkrfzfx1.jpg

003_zpsjzmjavp9.jpg

004_zps4qldc5p7.jpg

005_zpsgvagiz5o.jpg

• 4 years later...
On 10/28/2016 at 8:10 AM, dmorrissette said:

Love it!

Dave

On 10/28/2016 at 12:26 PM, Roktman said:

What Dave said! 😉

That's one sharp build so far!

Thanks fellas!! Sorry for the lack of response and lack of participation around here. I've actually finished this one and will post up photos pretty soon.

I started this kit over three years ago and ran into a lot of problematic areas with this kit. To say that this kit has now moved into #1 on my most difficult/ frustrating and sometimes angering build would simply be an understatement. It was so bad that I stepped away from aircraft building altogether for those 3 years. Some of it I brought on myself by making things more difficult than they needed to be and other areas were just plain ridiculous the way Hasegawa put this thing together. This kit is touted to be one of the best scale model representations of this iconic plane and on that point I'll agree once it's built. Getting there was the difficult part for me. Enough of that banter though. After 3 long years my Arado is finally completed:

In progress cockpit photo:

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t469/bf109g430mm/Hasegawa%20Arado%20234%20Blitz/004_zps4qldc5p7.jpg

Engine shot:

• Like 2

• mustang1989 changed the title to 1/48 Hasegawa Arado 234 "Blitz"-After 3 Years....Finished!!!