Parnelli Jones's 1963 Indy 500 Winning Watson Roadster

After 2 Years I finally finished my build of Parnelli Jones's 1963 Indy 500 Winning Watson Roadster.

Nicknamed "Ole Calhoun its one of the last of the front engine Indy roadsters to win Indy (The last roadster to win the 500 was in 1964 when AJ Foyt crossed the line first with his Watson roadster.)

The Indy Roadsters of this era were some of the most beautiful race cars ever to race and many would argue "Ole Calhoun" was one best looking

By 1965 virtually all of these front engine beasts were rendered obsolete with the onslaught of European rear engine F1 style racers. So this car represents a time of transition for Indy..

I started with a 50 year old original AMT kit which I proceeded to modify extensively over a 2 year period to get it to look "Right"

I finished this build earlier this week just in time for the IPMS Nationals in Columbia SC

I have extensive work in progress picture library on

My facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/andy.caldwell.948/media_set?set=a.10203741673887813.1073741849.1397358827&type=3&pnref=story

The Indy Car modeling forums at http://indycarmodeling.proboards.com/thread/1626/parnelli-jones-watson-roadster-finished

Anyway here are completed pictures of the build
20160719_205148_LLS_zpsmyqjcfpp.jpg
20160719_205358_zpstjlzyrfa.jpg
20160719_205818_zps9gmxssej.jpg
20160719_205856_zpsif9iyiv8.jpg
Edited by Florida70Bee
  • Like 1

Holy cow! That is one of the sweetest models I've seen on this forum in quite some time! I have to agree in that it's always been one of my favorite race cars too. It looks as if all of the work you put into this one has paid off. I'm looking forward to seeing this in person in a couple of weeks! Congrats on an absolutely beautiful build!

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

Great job on this very cool car. Your attention to detail is spot on Andrew. If this don't get a Podium finish at the NATS...then there's something wrong. Very good build.

• Like 1

Great job on this very cool car. Your attention to detail is spot on Andrew. If this don't get a Podium finish at the NATS...then there's something wrong. Very good build.

Thank you Gary!

That means a lot coming from such a talented builder as yourself!!

That car reminds me of my Eldon roadrace set that had Dan Gurney's car in it. Raced that set until the brushes wore off. Boy, was that a long time ago.

Your car looks fantastic. Great build. good luck at the contest with it.

Bill

Edited by WildBill50

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

WOW she is Hot!! How did she do at the NATS?

Sorry for not seeing this sooner It won the automotive competition open wheel class at the Nats.

• 3 weeks later...

Well done Gary. I loved that car. I believe that I was there watching it qualify and then I saw the race at a local movie theater. That was the practice in those old days. ;-)