Theme award for 2016 Convention?

Is there a special award connected to the 2016 Convention tagline, "Every model tells a story"? I didn't see anything on the Convention webpage, but it seems odd that the Convention would have a theme without a theme award.

Hi David:

. I believe the "Every model tells a story" is a tagline which is pretty true of all models. Only specials I know of are:

In addition, the 2016 convention contest will offer these special awards:
-- Best Air National Guard aircraft of the Southeastern Conference (any plane, any era from South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas or Texas)
-- World War I on Land
-- World War I at Sea
-- World War I in the Air
-- Best War Between the States (Civil War) Subject
-- 50th Anniversary of Project Gemini
-- The James Palasz Memorial Award for Best British Automotive Subject

Dave

Dave's correct. Aside from "every model tells a story" being an operational nightmare to turn into an award (how do you judge the stories? what evidence do you demand? what if a technically great model has horrid documentation? etc.), our convention theme is meant to be more than a theme and more like a philosophy that transcends competition, judging and awards. The special awards have more specialized stories that more readily lend themselves to awards, but as for the overall theme, our intent is to emphasize that every model you'll see on display, regardless of how it places or even if it places, has a story behind it and means something to somebody. And that, really, is what this hobby's all about. Or, at least, that was our thinking when we came up with the theme all those months ago.

Jodie Peeler

• Like 1