1/48 Revell F-104 DONE! 7/4

ghodges

Doing a basic quick build of the old 1/48 Revell tooling of the F-104C (as an "A") from the late '70s. Lots of sanding required to blend in the separate gun bay door, blank off the gun trough, and blend in the intakes. Thought I'd post a pic of it in a coat of AK metallic aluminum, which I applied for primer. This will not only show me where I need to get all of the scratches out, but it will also serve to show how different I plan for the final finish to be from where it is here.
002_24.jpg

003_21.jpg

This will actually be done as a US Navy F-104A Starfighter that was used for testing the "new" sidewinder missile using the Victory Productions F-104 decals. More pics when it's finally finished. In the meantime, questions and comments are more than welcome!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Your primer looks better than my final finishes. Will look interesting in Navy markings.

Way to go, Gil!

Mark

Got most of the painting done....

001_15.jpg

002_25.jpg

The white is simply Tamiya Fine white primer, which covered the whole model. It was polished with a 3600 grit sanding cloth and then Alclad Aluminum was used as the basic NMF. The tail section was done in combos of Dark Aluminum, Duraluminum, Tamiya Clear Blue, Tamiya Clear red, MM Burnt Iron, and a final mist coat of Alclad aluminum to tone the mixture down. The real shiny spots are the AK Aluminum, and I added a ghosting of panel lines with Duraluminum. The nose cone is ADC grey (the anti-glare panel still needs painting, as well as repainting the speed brake interiors. The red stripes are Testors gloss red with a few drops of Testors orange added to try to make it a bit brighter "Arctic" red.

Hope to have the decals on this and have it done by next weekend! More pics then!

• 2 weeks later...

Got this one done today!

003_22.jpg

005_5.jpg

008_11.jpg

010_6.jpg

011_6.jpg

001_17.jpg

One note on "accuracy"...Most pics of this plane do NOT show the "China Lake" on the upper right wing. However, other Navy test 104s did have it, and it being the Navy, I figured it might have been added at a later time. Besides, it looks more balanced this way! Also, the decals are all Victory Productions (which performed perfectly), except for the wing lettering, which was added one rub-on letter at a time.

Anyway, it makes for a Satrfighter of a different stripe, and I'm glad to have one back on my shelf again after many years! cheesy.gif

As always, questions, critiques, and comments are always welcome. Cheers!

Edited by ghodges
  • Like 2

Hi, Gil,

Pat yourself on the back for this one! I love this airplane. I'd love to fit one of these into my build schedule. I have the kits, but it seems not enough time.

Ed

Kudos to you Gil! Great work! China Lake has had some interesting aircraft there over the years.

Mark

VERY nice! Love the weather to the metallic colors. I like the way the heat discolorations were done by the exhaust. Bravo!

Brilliant work Gil! I have several Starfighters in my collection, but none in US Air Force markings yet. I'm still trying to master the bare metal finish enough to do a job that can remotely look as good as this one. Magnificent!

Sorry for the late reply on this Gil. I really like that paint work on that build. Just the right amount of weathering too!

• 3 weeks later...

Love this. The more basic markings show the fine lines of this jet much better than would the gaudier stuff. Am inspired to do one.